ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 02:14 PM   #166
SpecialAgentNancy
& your little dog 2!

Oddometer: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by layzrider View Post
Hi. I am from Vancouver, WA, hope to be staying in the SF area thru May. If things work out. Beer, zip line, sounds good so far. I don't see a reference to the type of riding. adventure or dualsport riding? I have a Transalp and a DRZ. I would like to sigh up a little later when I see things working out. Thanks for any response. I am camping in the desert in AZ, so I don't get on the internet all that often.
Last year I was part of the "big bike" group so you'll be in good company with your transalp (rode that in Eastern Europe a few years back) I have a Tiger 800 XC. I think Dave is bring his GS and Bob also thinking of riding his big bike. Forget what it is now (in fact I may have those reversed) anyway, great group of guys. Plenty of KTM 990 showed up too.

I am working on a D2D ride and would pass through Vancouver so I'd love to chat and perhaps meet up on my return late June.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:31 PM   #167
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,047
Last year we had a dirt bike and a big bike route. I am too big for the single track but I want a bit more than just the fire roads the big bikes took last year so I am looking over the FS and MVUM maps trying to put together "mid bike" routes for a couple of the days. Anyone looking for something in the middle we can investigate some alternatives. I plan on putting some options together but since the area is not familiar except what I rode last year we will have to run some of the ideas past the locals that know the area. No matter the outcome of the routes, a good time is a given!! Anyone have any disc golf targets to bring?
Old 03-29-2013, 08:54 PM   #168
duitswes
NAM Biker in CA

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
Last year we had a dirt bike and a big bike route. I am too big for the single track but I want a bit more than just the fire roads the big bikes took last year so I am looking over the FS and MVUM maps trying to put together "mid bike" routes for a couple of the days.
And a hiking route Possibly not officially sanctioned, but the official was busy cooking or something.

Following which we did what would qualify as a mid bike route. We being me and the gentleman from SFMC (John?). Not that it was planned or sanctioned or anything either.

PS for a mid bike trail, the ohv green trails is an option? For an ohv map you have to call the forest service. Its free.
duitswes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:17 PM   #169
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Actually I downloaded the FS maps (by quadrant), the MVUMs, and the OHV park maps online at the USFS site.... Wasn't John on the gen1 KLR? I remember him.... I am sure Dean and others can help steer us in the right direction too. Should be a great year!!
Old 03-30-2013, 10:45 AM   #170
LeDakaR!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Sounds like fun, I can make it

www.route66moto.com
moto rental/sales and tours, location et vente moto, import-export
LeDakaR! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:47 PM   #171
SpecialAgentNancy
& your little dog 2!

Layzrider

Not mentioned in the dialogue for big and mid bike riding is that those so called easy fire roads were heavily rutted last year. They are very doable but are not your typical graded, smooth dirt roads that I find in Yosemite (no wailing around blind turns or you might find yourself shiny side down) so I felt that they brought just enough to the ride.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:17 PM   #172
chrish4ku
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 750
Ruts.... Love em
2011 KTM 990 Adventure / KTM 500 EXC
Chris' Sat Tracker
chrish4ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:49 AM   #173
surferbum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Congrats Janet!
Ditto. Always behind anything good is a dedicated woman.
BT2010 - Big Trip 2010 13 days and ...
My Spot WhereAmIriding
surferbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:39 PM   #174
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialAgentNancy View Post
Not mentioned in the dialogue for big and mid bike riding is that those so called easy fire roads were heavily rutted last year. They are very doable but are not your typical graded, smooth dirt roads that I find in Yosemite (no wailing around blind turns or you might find yourself shiny side down) so I felt that they brought just enough to the ride.
It is all subjective. It was a fun ride but I found it unchallenging and yawnable. There has to be something in between.....
Old 03-31-2013, 12:43 PM   #175
SpecialAgentNancy
& your little dog 2!

Quote:
It is all subjective. It was a fun ride but I found it unchallenging and yawnable. There has to be something in between.....
Mmm didn't see you fly through that water crossing or snow like it was no big deal. But yes it was more annoying than challenging
Old 03-31-2013, 12:54 PM   #176
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Ha Ha! Good one Nancy... I can see why you didn't see me fly through the snow and the ruts since I was always on the other side waiting. as far as the water crossing I wasn't sure everyone was gonna make it so I went last helping everyone across, or does my memory fail me?
Old 03-31-2013, 02:51 PM   #177
SpecialAgentNancy
& your little dog 2!

I remember you being a fun and considerate riding partner. You wrote of our ride last year ...

Tim is being a bit modest. Tim was on his Wee-strom 1K and Nancy was on her Triumph Tiger 800. Both large bikes for some of the terrain we hit, from snow to BIG ruts to water crossings. They both handled those behemoths quite impressively!! There was once when I was behind Tim in the soft, rutted gravel when I was SURE he was going down but he held on with rubber down... (he didn't say anything then but he might have had to clean his shorts when we got back to camp) They both made the crossing of Bear Creek look easy for being on the heavy bikes. I look forward to riding with our Friday group again soon, if not, next Mendo run for sure !!
Old 03-31-2013, 03:34 PM   #178
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Here is some dual track from around here... I am sure some of the locals can find something like this, probably better! In the spring a lot of these cutbacks have some pretty good water flowing across them. Sorry for the tank shots, headroom gets a bit iffy at times...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oto3NOsNjj0
Old 03-31-2013, 11:24 PM   #179
Meatn'taters
Not any more

Oddometer: 234
Paid! Riding in mid/late afternoon Thursday, Group Camp, Group Vittles, Group Brew, Big Bike Routes, out relatively damage free sometime Sunday. Mendo Rally Rookie - looking forward to meeting/riding with you all. Use me and abuse me Dean/Janet - manual labor is my forte. Many thanks for making this happen!

"You got to be careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there".
Yogi Berra
Meatn'taters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:49 PM   #180
SanGJan
Janet

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Last year we had a dirt bike and a big bike route. I am too big for the single track but I want a bit more than just the fire roads the big bikes took last year so I am looking over the FS and MVUM maps trying to put together "mid bike" routes for a couple of the days. Anyone looking for something in the middle we can investigate some alternatives. I plan on putting some options together but since the area is not familiar except what I rode last year we will have to run some of the ideas past the locals that know the area. No matter the outcome of the routes, a good time is a given!! Anyone have any disc golf targets to bring?
I'm up for something like this - not Dean Gnarly single track, but something fun and more challenging than fire roads, especially now that I have the lighter bike. Will start looking at maps.. I'm not sure I get the disc golf reference tho...like bread crumbs? Fun!
SanGJan is offline   Reply With Quote