ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 08:15 PM   #31
ehatcher
Hello? Is this thing on?

Oddometer: 2,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDsgt View Post
It is a compact! holds 6+1. Just enough to shoot my way to safety.

Wow.

The big city can be a little scary sometimes....maybe you should stay home?

E
"Mostly the animals understand their roles, but man, by comparison, seems troubled by a message that he cannot quite remember or has gotten wrong. Bereft of instinct, he must search continually for meanings." Loren Eiseley

ehatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:52 AM   #32
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 23,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Yeah, but if you get caught with it, you'll be in with the same guys you were trying to protect yourself from.

And it's meaner on Riker's Island than on the street.

And you won't have your dick extender
Fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoDrtRider View Post

Maybe I'm whacked and the criminals sense that and leave me alone but no one has ever bothered me, my crew, our vehicles or equipment. .
Is that what it is? I always credited my keen sense of intuition.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:48 AM   #33
DavidBanner
Banned

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
But, do they allow guns? Maybe for a Fellow Officer, even if not on duty?

This is the great gun dilemma, somewhat like the dualsport tire compromise. I'd like to have my gun with me and not have nutcases, criminals, hotheads, people I disagree with, etc. to have theirs with them. So how do we allow ME and those like me to have guns, but stop those others? and of course if all those others don't have guns, why do I need mine, but then it's not about "need", it's about "I want to" and will hide behind the 2A to get what i want.

Who defines or decides who the "good guy" is who gets to have a gun with him? Several of our recent "spree" shooters did not have criminal records. If OP gets to have his because he's an LEO, we we right back to "only the government will have guns" and the 2A fanatics will tell us that those who work for the government are exactly those who the rest of "us" need our guns to protect us from.
gosh, you've summed up the debate so pithily there must not be anything else left to discuss.

personally, i am pro-choice when it comes to guns. if i feel the need/want to keep/bear arms...the 2A says it is my right. to manage the risk, the people have gotten together with their legislative representatives to place limitations on the exercise of this right. these limitations are sometimes logical, and sometimes illogical...but they are there.

the problem, as i see it, is that the leglislators have screwed up and put the government (police) in charge of giving out permits...they often do it on a "discretionary" basis in an arbitrary manner...which erodes respect for the process and the people who carry it out. frankly, judges are more fit to apply the law than police officers. they are better educated, held to a higher ethical standard, and their decisions can be appealed. having LEO decide on permits is like having the proverbial fox guarding the constitutional hen house. the worst judge is better at reading/interpreting/applying the law than any LEO i have ever met.

finally, because the "need" for a gun may arise suddenly and without warning...individuals who seek permits will often appear the be "gun nuts" at the time they either try and protect their rights or when they exercise their rights (buying a gun, starting the permit process, voting for less regulation/restriction, etc). gun seeking then APPEARS to happen in a vacuum (why do you NEED a gun???? there's nothing happening!) this is a logic fail.

we never question or restrict the purchase of fire alarms/extinguishers because, hey, you never know...and when a fire breaks out, it will be too late to go through a permit process and do a background check.

if the permit/acquisition process took a phonecall and POOF (faster than 911) i could defend myself or my loved ones...i probably might wait until the moment things go wrong and i'd never carry. absent that, i'll have to secure a permit after a lengthy background check and purchase process because it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

DavidBanner screwed with this post 01-19-2013 at 06:59 AM
DavidBanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:11 AM   #34
DavidBanner
Banned

Quote:
No matter what you'd like, NYS does not honor any other state's licenses, so leave it home. While they'll find extenuating circumstances not to put a local thug in jail for the mandatory one year for possession, they'll be sure to make an example of an upstanding out of state citizen like you.

Unless you're an active or retired LEO carrying under HR218, and are in possession of the supporting documents required, don't come strapped from out of state.

To the OP, I'm sure nobody will notice your ankle holster first time you throw a leg over a bike.

I don't know where you come from, but this is New York Fucking City, and the troopers will not be happy if they get called, regardless if you are an LEO.
unless there is a law that allows you to carry in NYC, it's probably not a good idea. 3.5yr minimum is no joke though you will probably get offered a plea deal of disorderly conduct because the DA is so afraid of having the current law put to a legal challenge by a sympathetic plaintiff/defendant (marine/iraq vet, cute/white/female medical student, etc). either way, you'll become google famous (its own kind of punishment) and spend a few days on "iraq island."

right now NYC enjoys the distinction of having a constructive ban that probably would/should not pass Constitutional muster...but there are no challengers because the ones who put up a fuss get their charges knocked back and are happy to be let go and nobody else has decided to take it up wihtout first being arrested. if jesus h christ tried to challenge, they'd offer him a deal which he'd take rather than roll the dice and appeal a conviction to the highest court. it's anybody's guess how a real panel of justices would rule if anything got to them...i would hope at least the 2nd Circuit would know better than to try and rule against the SCOTUS (heller/mcdonald decisions)...but nothing would surprise me.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:19 AM   #35
justme23005
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
frankly, judges are more fit to apply the law than police officers. they are better educated, held to a higher ethical standard, and their decisions can be appealed. having LEO decide on permits is like having the proverbial fox guarding the constitutional hen house. the worst judge is better at reading/interpreting/applying the law than any LEO i have ever met.
What country do you live in?
Judges are simply leaches that draw lots of money out of our system, while being openly for sale to the highest bidder.
justme23005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:35 AM   #36
DavidBanner
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme23005 View Post
What country do you live in?
Judges are simply leaches that draw lots of money out of our system, while being openly for sale to the highest bidder.
i didn't say "justices of the peace"
Old 01-19-2013, 08:39 AM   #37
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDsgt View Post
Thank You Concours

Bomber, I probably could, but I am not really like that to be honest.

and none this year.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:53 AM   #38
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,578
NYS Supreme and County Court judges are usually nothing but minor politicians who have been rewarded for not making any waves.

They are often cross endorsed by both parties (you take it this year, we'll take it next year) effectively disenfranchising the voters. So they're "elected" for 14 years as a payoff, and owe heavy allegiance to their party boss, who may ask them for a favor any time. "Joe's a friend of mine, take care of him when he comes before you".

They're scum, usually lawyers too stupid to make a good living on their own. They are NOT the top of the legal profession, but usually somewhere near the bottom as far as intelligence, knowledge, and ability, which is why they provide them with a law clerk who writes their legal decisions for them.

If they're near re-election, they will make a decision on a controversial case which is popular, not necessarily correct, so they'll not make any waves. I repeat, they are scum, with a huge opinion of themselves.

I say this after working 40 years in the NYS Courts, 38 of them in the Supreme Court.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #39
DavidBanner
Banned

Quote:
NYS Supreme and County Court judges are usually nothing but minor politicians who have been rewarded for not making any waves.

They are often cross endorsed by both parties (you take it this year, we'll take it next year) effectively disenfranchising the voters. So they're "elected" for 14 years as a payoff, and owe heavy allegiance to their party boss, who may ask them for a favor any time. "Joe's a friend of mine, take care of him when he comes before you".

They're scum, usually lawyers too stupid to make a good living on their own. They are NOT the top of the legal profession, but usually somewhere near the bottom as far as intelligence, knowledge, and ability, which is why they provide them with a law clerk who writes their legal decisions for them.

If they're near re-election, they will make a decision on a controversial case which is popular, not necessarily correct, so they'll not make any waves. I repeat, they are scum, with a huge opinion of themselves.

I say this after working 40 years in the NYS Courts, 38 of them in the Supreme Court.
that's pretty bad.

now tell us about a run-of-the-mill NYPD officer

illegal stop/question/frisk.

testilying

ticket-fixing

excessive force

flaking

downgrading to clean up the numbers

collars for dollars

how many millions of dollars does the city dole out each year to settle police abuse claims?

that's what i thought.

DavidBanner screwed with this post 01-19-2013 at 10:01 AM
Old 01-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #40
justme23005
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:

Well put..
justme23005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #41
BERZERKOWITZ

Oddometer: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlearl476 View Post

Is that what it is? I always credited my keen sense of intuition and my man purse.
Fixed.
BERZERKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:51 AM   #42
robert110411
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Holy shit what a bunch of fucktards

To the OP? If you're entitled to carry a hand gun because your a past or present police officer? Why do you care if you have to show your credentials?

To a few others who instantly rang the "Don't bring that awful gun into my city/state" bell..........look at the upper left hand corner.............the Op is from? Corning NY? Now I aint the smartest redneck.........but I'm pretty sure that NY stands for New York. So it isn't like he's bringing his hog leg up from West Virginia.

Here's a news flash!............all day today I carried a handgun, condition one, ready to shoot............and by some miracle no body got shot by it. it didn't magically jump out of my leg rig, take itself off safe and shoot someone. Same thing will happen tomorrow. The big difference is that mine is strapped to my leg in a Blackhawk drop leg rig. Where it belongs.

If you've traveled and work in bad neighborhoods in big cities? Me too. Guess what? It isn't how tough you are. It's that no one wants to bring the police down on their neighborhood by screwing with the white guy. Don't believe me? See what happens when someone from one of Camden or Philadelphia's 'hoods get's shot. Then see what happens when some white guy from the suburbs gets shot in the 'hood. Two very different responses.

If you live in the Lehigh valley and the idea of a guy carrying a gun at the Javits sets you off? Probably time to move. It's easier to get a carry permit in Lehigh or Northampton county than it is to get a drivers license.

The Javits center is owned and operated by the New York City Convention Center Operating Corporation which is a Public Benefit Corporation..............so NO, it is NOT privately owned. it's operated by the board of a Public Benefit Corporation, whose job is to maintain the facility and generate tax revenue for the City and state.

A search of their website indicates no ban on permitted weapons.

So to all the 'fraidy cats? Just calm down already.

to the OP? if your allowed to carry your gun? Show you badge and carry the damn thing. Don't sneak it in.

In the words of a very wise 1SG..just a few nights ago: Officer: "1Sg, why are you and the SFC carrying your side arms here on the camp" 1SG: " A better question sir, would be why the fuck isn't your stupid ass carrying yours?"
robert110411 is offline   Reply With Quote