Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 08:25 AM   #31
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by conchscooter View Post
Nothing has put me off KTMs quite as much as reading about them on ADVrider. How incredibly aggravating. I was looking forward to this planned/unplanned fresh view of The Road.
I've never owned a KTM...but have certainly developed a negative opinion from the ADV reports. I trust these real life experiences a lot more than the puff pieces written by the moto journalists.
CharlestonADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #32
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,941
Well this doesn't look good. I was just over in the Western Regional forums giving advice about the San Francisco area.

If you still make the trip, but have to cut SF from your plans and head straight for Johnson Valley, there are some things to see in that area.

Motorcycle Museum: Solvang, CA
Yard House Restaurant: Temecula, CA
Stone Brewing Company, Escondido, CA
Lost Abbey Brewery, Escondido, CA

Fixed (thanks SPX)

High Country Herb screwed with this post 01-22-2013 at 08:32 AM
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #33
SPX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
Well this doesn't look good. I was just over in the Western Regional forums giving advice about the San Francisco area.

If you still make the trip, but have to cut SF from your plans and head straight for Johnson Valley, there are some things to see in that area.

Motorcycle Museum: Solvang, CA
Yard House Restaurant: Temecula, CA
Stone Brewing Company, Econdito, CA
Lost Abbey Brewery, Escondito, CA
You'll find the last two in Escondido, CA
SPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:02 AM   #34
35xj OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 904
well guys, the bike and i are both home now, both looking kinda "down" but alas!

I would like to say again, how proud and lucky i am to be a part of this great community. truly one of the greatest groups of people i have ever come in contact with! Everything form the great technical resources, to the offers of help and guidance from people accross the country i have never met!

People i have never met offered me rooms in their homes!

The guy who currently deserves the greatest debt of gratitude atthe moment is a now local inmate. Hunter (bdxmple) this is a guy who lives allmost an hour north of me, hearing about my misfortune, this guy CALLED ME out of the blue with an offer to come pick me up (6 plus hours each way!)
I truly cant think of an imediate way to thank him enough, i guess possibly, the best way to do so is to pay it forward next time i hear of somebody else in trouble. Something i will be proud to do!
(Plus Henry and i had a really exciting episode to find a couple of local beers to give hunter, but thats another story!)
the ride of shame...

so, as a wrap up. henry made it home yesterday about 5 and hunter dropped me and the big girl off at about 8.

I've learned a lot on this attempt!
1. it is really possible to cary a months worth of stuff on the bike,easily
2.4oo mile days are entirely possible with somewhat frequent stretching sessions
3.The tool Kit i had put together rewally was all i needed for most things
4.i do not regrett a penny i spent on top of the line gear
5.the KTM is still my favorite bike ive owned. despite this little setback!
6.Motorcyclists as a whole are a damn good group of people

as far as the bike goes. I ordered a new fuel system, jetting, etc. Waterpump kit, oil pump kit, and a few other things.
I believe the fuel starvation issue was in fact a dying fuel pump, i guess we shall see. the waterpump kit is typical preventative maintenance, that in reality, i should have done pre trip.
the rattle, and smoking im still not entirely sure about, but once the fueling is sorted out, its the next step.

i dont find any of my KTM's to be inherantly unreliable in any ways. Everyone ive ever had has had teething issues, and they do like more maintanence than a honda,They are pretty easy to work on, once you figure out how to go about it.
they truly do have a soul unlike any jap bike ive ever ridden! which occasionally bites you in the ass! I intend to tear into the bike, and bring it back better than before
the coolest thing about the big KTM's?

even blown up ones make little boys giggle!
we are currently planning to try to redo the biggest part of this trip in late feb/early march, so this thread will come back to life if all goes well!

thanks again, to a truly great group of people! dave, and henry

35xj screwed with this post 01-22-2013 at 09:12 AM
35xj is offline   Reply With Quote