User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 04:58 PM   #1
Snowlover OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Warm full suit - applied in cold warehouse

If I try to warm my entire whse, I spend $10k/month to try to make it tolerable for a 12 hour shift. I tried heated Battery vests from New Zeland, but they just don't provide enough warmth.

Full up insulated coveralls with extra clothes for warmth, are cumbersome, heavy and limit movement.

How about a full up, high quality MC suit? Aerostich? Are they warm without bulk? Compare to a heavy Carhart?

I need 8 of them, but 8k on suits is better than 10k/month for 4-5 months of cold work environment.
Snowlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #2
MotoBoss
Tundra Thumper

Oddometer: 3,295
Aerostitch suits are just a Gore Tex shell, not providing any real warmth. They do however have liners, electric and no-electric, to add to the warmth factor but also adds to the bulk factor making them more like Carhart's but waterproof.

Move your company to south Texas...............................

Good luck.

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:42 PM   #3
bmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowlover View Post
If I try to warm my entire whse, I spend $10k/month to try to make it tolerable for a 12 hour shift. I tried heated Battery vests from New Zeland, but they just don't provide enough warmth.

Full up insulated coveralls with extra clothes for warmth, are cumbersome, heavy and limit movement.

How about a full up, high quality MC suit? Aerostich? Are they warm without bulk? Compare to a heavy Carhart?

I need 8 of them, but 8k on suits is better than 10k/month for 4-5 months of cold work environment.
Having worked in a freezer for over 20 years in temps from -25 to 0 I have seen it all. The best clothing for the money is from Refrigiwear. They are a little bulky but they do the job and they are pretty durable. You want to get both bibs and jackets instead of one piece so you can mix and match as needed along with the assorted layering that goes with it.

http://www.refrigiwear.com/
Old 01-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,517
If your workers drive electric forklifts, then electric suits and gloves become an option.

Otherwise bulky suits it is. Ski bibs and jackets can work well for lower cost. For our unheated warehouse, the flexability of bibs and jacket I like.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:16 PM   #5
Snowlover OP
Gnarly Adventurer

They are electrics. I am polling the drivers to get their input. The vests were ok, but not up to everyday industrial use. We are not cold storage, but the whse is over 100,000 sq ft, with 36 foot ceilings and store empty 12 ounce Al cans that eliminate any way to get air moving. We have gas heaters up high that keeps it from freezing, but the floor area is cold.

Thanks for the link. Will check it out.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:45 PM   #6
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,393
I don't think bike gear is the answer.

It's good at stopping wind, and it's abrasion resistant, but unless you are skiing behind those fork lifts @100kph those aren't advantages.

The only thing that MIGHT be a win on industrial gear is maybe some of the electrically heated gear like jackets, gloves, boots.

Pete
PeterW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:58 PM   #7
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,071
my fav for winter riding is Aerostich one piece roadcrafter with old style Gerbing jacket, pants, gloves and socks. all heated and controlled with a dual controller.

most of the time only heated jacket and heated gloves is needed. but for really cold rides heated pants comes out. seldom have I worn heated socks. not bulky at all, but tethered to electric cord.

would think wearing electric all day long would not be as comfortable as insulated clothing like refrigear
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:11 PM   #8
Tom327Cat
T-Dub rider

Oddometer: 147
Dragonfur fleece over loose fitting coveralls and duofold long johns.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:20 AM   #9
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 7,664
Agreed that stich isn't the answer to your needs . . . . no warmth at all . . . . .

Is any of the phase change stuff efective enough?
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:56 AM   #10
Yella DR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowlover View Post
They are electrics. I am polling the drivers to get their input. The vests were ok, but not up to everyday industrial use. We are not cold storage, but the whse is over 100,000 sq ft, with 36 foot ceilings and store empty 12 ounce Al cans that eliminate any way to get air moving. We have gas heaters up high that keeps it from freezing, but the floor area is cold.

Thanks for the link. Will check it out.

Unit heaters or infared radiant tube heaters ? Unit heaters are ineffecent,noisy and very old tech.
RTH's is the way to go.
Bigass type ceiling fans will help too, unless you stack to the underside of the deck, which I doubt, and when reversed cool in the summer.
We have many Bigass fans in the plant/warehouse where I work and have made noticeable comfort improvements year round.
Just being plugged in to ones forklift makes me think that forgetfulness will become costly for you in torn out wires and lost time monkeying around with everything...

Perhaps heated seats....
Yella DR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #11
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 654
Staying warm and mobile

Get them some of the waffle polypro shirts like the military uses for the base layer on top and make sure they wear it next to their skin. The collars keep the neck warm and the 1/4 zip front allows them to vent and control their temp. If they wear this with a heavyweight shirt and a sleeveless polartec vest with a heavy jacket and a pair of bibs they will stay warm and not be all wadded up in heavy clothes. The above with a decent fleece watch cap toboggan will make a tremendous difference in their comfort.
gofast1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:54 AM   #12
Snowlover OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Great. Thanks for the input. Being a KLR rider, I thought a Stich was insulated and warmer. :) Never looked into one before.

After talking to the 8 drivers, on four different shifts covering 24/7, I have 8 different opinions. I don't like the plug-in issue, Just due to the fact they get on/off quite often. That is why we went with battery vests 3 years ago.

I think I will do the heated seat pad, Then offer them $ to decide what they would each prefer from a site like the refrig wear posted above.

I snowmobile, so keeping warm is important, but riding sleds is very active. I get colder on my motorcycle than sledding. There is not much active movement as a forklift driver, but they can't be encumbered by tons of clothes.

The heaters are not radiants. They were updated a few years ago to be much more efficient, but the physical location and fact that I MUST have a fully clear 33' ceiling with no intrusions to hit.