Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 04:00 PM   #31
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseoffubar View Post
+1
I've welded thousands of aluminum pressure vessels, and never had a leak, however, I have never made one with material that was of highly questionable quality that could itself leak from flaws in it's structure. That could for sure ruin my leak free record!
I have welded some corroded, or very poor quality castings, that, if they had been required to hold fluid, or pressure, they would have been a gamble at best.
My leaks were porosity. I have never welded thousands of anything but I have had problems with BMW motorcycle valve covers. Different models are cast out of different stuff too. No problem with airhead covers, for instance, and problems with oilhead covers.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #32
bmwhacker OP
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,112
I visited the only two shops I could find around here that TIG weld.
One dude thought he could do it but thought it would probably warp and need to be replaned for trueness.
He didn't have the equipment to re plane the surfaces anyway. The tubes are so close to the machined edges that not deforming the sealing area would be a gamble at best. His thought was to countersink the tubes in the housing then weld below the exposed surface.
Another shop had a grandiose plan to remove the tubes, rebevel, recut, reweld, replane, blah, blah, blah, to the tune of 4 - 6 hours at $75.00 / hour.
I do appreciate the offers here on this thread to weld this thing for me but have reservations shipping the thing around the country and taking advantage of others free time.
My shop resources consist of an outside 10' x 10' brick slab and a crowded cargo trailer...not exactly a top notch working scenario....needless to say, other than basic hand tools and a few electrical tools, I'm not "set up" for welding.....well maybe JB welding....lol
Rather than going that route I'm going to take up the seller on his refund / return offer and let him have the thing back. I see nothing but pain trying to turn a turd into a rose.....anyone got a Breil Cooler they want to sell?

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992

bmwhacker screwed with this post 01-18-2013 at 04:51 PM
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #33
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,324
Send that thing to Fubar. He'll do it up right and he's more than fair with his rates.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 01-18-2013 at 04:54 PM
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #34
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,758
That's awful nice of you, considering that In your thread, I claimed to have stolen your bike, and and wrung it out for months, while you have been gone! Am I so full of shit, you don't even bother to take it personally?

It sounds like ME 109 knows his business. Not to speak for him, but if you really want this thing, I don't see it taking more than an hour to fix, possibly well under. feel free to send it to me (or 109?) Well take care of you!
I for one, like the looks of the thing, and would like to see it on your bike.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:59 PM   #35
roguetek
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
if you're wanting to get the oil out of it, try baking it in the oven at 400F for a couple of hours. That sometimes works.
roguetek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #36
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseoffubar View Post

It sounds like ME 109 knows his business. Not to speak for him, but if you really want this thing, I don't see it taking more than an hour to fix, possibly well under. feel free to send it to me (or 109?) Well take care of you!
I for one, like the looks of the thing, and would like to see it on your bike.
Airmail to Australia might hurt.

Makes this look attractive.
http://www.motoren-israel.com/popup_...pID=16&imgID=0
Old 01-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #37
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,758
Uh, didn't notice that! Whats a hundred bucks in shipping among friends.. right!?!
Old 01-18-2013, 10:43 PM   #38
bmwhacker OP
Still on 3 wheels

Well the FAIL leaky Breil cooler is heading back home to the seller.

And an inmate around here has offered me a replacement Breil (minus all the leaks) for less.
Life is good!

ABC# 1992
Old 01-18-2013, 11:18 PM   #39
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhacker View Post
Well the FAIL leaky Breil cooler is heading back home to the seller.

And an inmate around here has offered me a replacement Breil (minus all the leaks) for less.
Life is good!
Well that is the best case scenario.

On the other hand, we know how to deal with a leaky one.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:48 AM   #40
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,375
And who knows, depending on the seller, it may show up again as a "Any Welding Experts?" thread...

--Bill
Old 01-24-2013, 07:31 AM   #41
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,027
Quote:
.....anyone got a Breil Cooler they want to sell?
Maybe. PM sent.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:45 PM   #42
bmwhacker OP
Still on 3 wheels

...A hardy "Thanks" to inmate "Wirespokes" for pulling a "Breil" cooler off one of his "resting" BMW's and sending it my way.
I received the cooler a few days ago and mounted it this afternoon. It has a little "battle damage" from a center stand but is (as they say in MT.) "tighter than a bulls ass in fly season" and doesn't have any leaks.
We're heading out on a few hundred mile Airhead camping get-together in Ca. tomorrow so I'm curious to see if the thing actually does lower oil temperatures in use. I've run my R100S engine for a few years without a cooler so am familiar with its' operating temperatures without a cooler.
I'll report back on my findings.

ABC# 1992
Old 02-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #43
Jim Day
full manic mechanic

Oddometer: 628
What you have is expansion contraction cracks. The tubes are heating up at a different rate the aluminum around them so they are working the welds. Aluminum when it bends get's harder then brittle then eventually breaks. Add to that the issue it was welded too cold with minimal penetration and the exterior metal removed, so you have paper thin welds and expansion problem and a no joy scenario.

Just tigging over it is not going to do it.

What I would do if it was my job is weld the inside and outside with a spool gun, then tig over the exterior weld to eliminate any pinholes, Either that if you only have tig, I'd clean the heck out of it, preheat in a furnace then tig inside and out where you can reach.

If you still have it your welcome to ship it to LA and I'll weld it for you. You pay tthe shipping no charge on my end. It's not a big job but it does have to be done right or it will fail again.

Jim Day screwed with this post 02-01-2013 at 07:38 PM
Jim Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #44
bmwhacker OP
Still on 3 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
What you have is expansion contraction cracks. The tubes are heating up at a different rate the aluminum around them so they are working the welds. Aluminum when it bends get's harder then brittle then eventually breaks. Add to that the issue it was welded too cold with minimal penetration and the exterior metal removed, so you have paper thin welds and expansion problem and a no joy scenario.

Just tigging over it is not going to do it.

What I would do if it was my job is weld the inside and outside with a spool gun, then tig over the exterior weld to eliminate any pinholes, Either that if you only have tig, I'd clean the heck out of it, preheat in a furnace then tig inside and out where you can reach.

If you still have it your welcome to ship it to LA and I'll weld it for you. You pay tthe shipping no charge on my end. It's not a big job but it does have to be done right or it will fail again.
Thanks for the offer, I wasn't willing to attempt to throw more money / time into the thing. The "new" one I installed today was built properly and has no exposed end tube edges like the last one did. I cannot imagine how the first one ever made it by any type of Quality Control when it was made.
The folks on this Site are awesome....I had 2 or 3 offers to attempt to repair the bad one...thanks ya'll!!!!!

ABC# 1992
Old 02-01-2013, 08:18 PM   #45
Jim Day
full manic mechanic

Oddometer: 628
Quote:
I visited the only two shops I could find around here that TIG weld.
One dude thought he could do it but thought it would probably warp and need to be replaned for trueness.
He didn't have the equipment to re plane the surfaces anyway. The tubes are so close to the machined edges that not deforming the sealing area would be a gamble at best. His thought was to countersink the tubes in the housing then weld below the exposed surface.Another shop had a grandiose plan to remove the tubes, rebevel, recut, reweld, replane, blah, blah, blah, to the tune of 4 - 6 hours at $75.00 / hour. ....
The first guy is right the issue welding is once again going to be expansion contraction. The tubes wiil expand much faster then the rest because the bulk is like a huge heat sink. Then when the tubes cool they will shrink more then the rest, which may cause some distortion, and there will always be stress on the welds. This is especially true with Tig since it puts a lot of heat in the piece, That's why I suggested heating the whole thing first no heat stress if it's all hot from the start.

Spool Guns penetrate deeper and put less heat into the work so you have less heat stress. We use them all the time for larger aluminum fabrication because Tig can causes massive distortion when your doing large work.

Guys love their tigs ( I certainly do) but your probably better off finding someone with a 200 amp spool gun, and the experience to use it, for that particular project.

Jim
Jim Day is offline   Reply With Quote