Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #46
Paul_Rochdale
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
"I'm also of the opinion that you need a set of torque wrenches".

In 45yrs of motorcycling I've never ever used a torque wrench, in fact I was given one last year for the first time and it collects dust in one of the drawers of the tool cabinet. Obviously fasteners inside the engine, gearbox and transmission require correct torquing but everything else can be done by feel. Yes, steel threads into aluminium require commonsense but hey-ho that's what learning is about. All of my bikes have had fasteners done up hand tight and I've NEVER stripped a thread. OK if you fit a big length of tube over a ratchet and really lever on it, you're asking for trouble, so don't do that. I've heard of riders torquing mudguard bolts, spark plugs, even headstocks , but it really is so unnecessary. I am currectly restoring a BMW R100GS-Paris Dakar and it'll all be tightened up by hand.

Mind you I've had this discussion before, and always with Americans, and you do love your torque wrenches Don't forget when you are doing your RTW trip and in the middle of the Tansanian jungle, you won't have your precious torque wrench with you. Get used to the 'feel' of spanners.
Paul_Rochdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #47
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,566
Sweet! I was 18 when I got my R75/6 out of long-term storage and it's a daily-rider now (and I'm now 26). The R90/6 that sat with it all those years was rescued a little later, and I just now got back from a leisurely 90-mile trip. These bikes are a joy to own/operate.

If you were closer to me, I'd come over tomorrow and we'd get that thing all squared away. Alas..

Oh, and be a proper american and use a torque wrench..

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #48
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,929
This is a regular point of digression. The use of Torque Wrenches and do you need one. Well I don't know you well enough to say off hand and I'm not there with you to show you exactly what "One Grunt" is. Most of us that have been at this stuff for years do not need a Torque Wrench except for a few things.

It 's up to you. I say you can wait on getting Torque Wrenches until later.

There's a good chance that the oil pan has to be cleaned, since we have talked about this, and this is an application that the wrench is needed so you don't over tighten the bolts on the pan. These are Steel bolts going into Aluminum threads. These threads strip very easily but I would say not so hard to learn this one if you are warned. Don't over tighten them. Go all around tightening each one a bit so that you are working the whole operation on evenly. Each bolt will get tightened first just finger tight. Start in the middle of one side, move to the middle of the other side, go back to the first side and do both bolts on each side of the first, do both bolts on each side of the second, move on to the second bolts out, the third bolts out, each time alternating sides and make each bolt finger tight. Now you will repeat the whole operation and using a wrench make each bolt a medium tightness, work all around so the pan is taken up evenly. Then do this one last time and just make the bolts firm. This is what is hard to describe. They are going to be evenly tightened with a small wrench or the 1/4" ratchet. Just tight and no more.

If you get together with more experienced wrenches they will be glad to show you this. It's not hard to do with out a Torque Wrench once you are shown.

I am an American. I have lots of Torque Wrenches but I don't use them for everything. I don't use them for pan bolts.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:32 PM   #49
photomd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
Torque wrenches are like discussing oil? Really?

Leo...could you post some pictures so we can salivate over your treasure that's been hidden away for 20 years? Obviously we've got too much time on our hands.
1998 CR250
photomd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:45 PM   #50
Leo562 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I would post pictures but I do not know how to....
Leo562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:53 PM   #51
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

This comes up all the time. You need a photo account to host the pictures. Photo Bucket works for some. I had trouble making that one work. There are others. I use Image Shack. They are http://imageshack.us/ Once you have your photos stored somewhere on line you use the link, I use "Direct Link".

It's all explained here;

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=919

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Old 01-19-2013, 10:07 PM   #52
Leo562 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
What you all have been waiting for

Before you skip this reading and go to the pictures something interesting happened as I began cleaning up and organizing the parts, something happened.

Only my father could do this. He loved BMW motorcycles and worked on them tinkered with them and new his way around all sorts

but what happened when i was cleaning my garage?

..drum roll please...

A frame not the r100s frame but yes another frame

And also an extra seat

And an extra fairing

and extra pipes

and boxes of bolts and reflectors and emblems and spark plugs and luckily dad had bought new oil filters and air filters

and parts and parts well find out for yourself!! CHECK OUT THE PICTURES!!!!

http://bmwr100s.smugmug.com/Motorcycles
Leo562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:38 PM   #53
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,487
Can't see the pics from here but I can guess...!

I was going to ask you about your dad...not the bike. Just in case that he knew what he was doing and that the bike was stored properly. In that case you could be riding it soon.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:16 PM   #54
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,235

Wow! Couple of S fairings!!

So to post,click on the share tab, then go to embeddable links and grab the photo code and paste here.
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:33 PM   #55
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,284
Quote:

Looks like you have your work cut out for you.

Definately seek a little "Airhead" assistance if you can.

It can be tough assembling something you didn't disassemble.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:56 AM   #56
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,253
Whoa. Nice project ahead. When you said "restore" you meant an entire R100S to reassemble. With plenty of spare parts. You've got a small chunk of Airhead Nirvana there. You've got your work cut out, but it's do-able.

This guy was a noob at one time, but look how he turned out:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754829

With this much stuff, your dad had to be a known Airhead. ABCers in So Cal, anyone?

You are your way to posting photos. With the link Disston gave you, you've got all the instructions. As an example, the first image in Hardwaregrrrl's post is this "smugmug" image:

http://bmwr100s.smugmug.com/Motorcyc...IMG_3635-L.jpg

wrapped in "IMG" tags [IMG][/IMG] in a reply.

There is no "Test Forum" as such, but you can edit messages with mistakes, and if you really really mess it up, you can Nuke (delete) the message, so play around.

Welcome to the Asylum.

--Bill
Old 01-20-2013, 02:34 AM   #57
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

So is this your Father's shop? Or it is just a catch all storage place? Any idea why this bike was taken apart almost 20 years ago? Show us some pictures of his tools please. So far the pictures have generated more questions than answers.

You will do well to take this project slow. Because you did not take the bike apart it will be more of a puzzle getting it back together. For instance, there are several oil filters used on BMW's though the years. You have to use the correct one.

You are going to have to identify by year and model what is here. And it's probably a good idea at this time to try and work on one thing at a time. To start, the bike shown in BMWhacker's post is the R100S that is the first project? There will be what we call the frame number on the head stock tag. The tag attached to where the front end of the bike goes. And there will be the engine number stamped into the Aluminum on a flat area next to and above where the dip stick is on the left side of the bike. Write these numbers down. Are they the same? If so you have a bike with it's original engine. Now you can look this number up in several places and find out when the bike was made and that will tell you what year and model the bike is.

Go to; http://realoem.com/bmw/ You will have to go through a couple of pages to get to motorcycles and Vintage. And find the place you can enter the seven digit frame and engine numbers. You are going to have to start this way and figure this out so you will know which parts fit this bike.

There are probably titles to this bike and to other bikes. Those may be in the house or somewhere else. You will save time if you have the titles. At this point just find them. You will need them. Since this is in California there are extra hassles dealing with the DMV and since I don't live there I can't say much about it. I know it's a pain. Cali residents here complain all the time.

Now that we have found the frame and engine numbers it is probably a good idea to tell you that in principle the vehicle is titled under the frame number. I think Cali may record the engine number and things may even be different than I'm thinking but find out from here what is going on before you deal with DMV.

Do not call DMV and give them these numbers. There is something about the records in Cali that if you do that it goes on the books and will cost you money. Get somebody here to explain all this to you and know what is happening before you deal with the Government. It may be my opinion only but I always deal these days with the Government with the attitude of knowing they are not my friend. I'm sorry about my attitude but I absolutely do not think I am the one to blame for our relationship problems.

Good Luck. You are going to need it.

(at some point BMW started putting the frame number on the right side down tube. That is the forward part of the frame we see in this one picture.)

Don't gloss this point about "What bike is this?" over. It is important. We started with you telling us it was a 1978 bike? So I see 1977 valve covers on this bike? ? ? Start with knowing what it is. Check the numbers.

disston screwed with this post 01-20-2013 at 02:45 AM
Old 01-20-2013, 04:21 AM   #58
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,494
Wow great project, I notice in the pictures that you have two bikes, I see another frame, seat, and other stuff from I guess a doner bike?
I think we are going to need some more pictures of all the parts that are spread about so we can help formulate a plan of action.

If you take the pictures you can email tham to me, and I can post them up here for you. And some shots of your tools too, so we can see what you have to use.
England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:31 AM   #59
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,335
Looks like a great project. Don't let the lack of experience stop you though. It might slow you down but with the wealth of net knowledge and local LA support I'm sure you'll come across, you'll get there eventually.

Have a look at this https://plus.google.com/photos/11463...449?banner=pwa
This fella was 16 when he did the resto.
boxerboy81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:34 AM   #60
isdt BMW
willserv@aol.com

Oddometer: 246
I also think he has the better part of 2 bikes, you need to sort them out to know what you have. it is good to be in your shoes. antique bike arceology - diggin thru parts, you lucky boy. have fun, now you need a parts book, invaluable when rebuilding
isdt BMW is online now   Reply With Quote