Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 05:54 PM   #91
Leo562 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by spo123 View Post
are you stating that you have started the engine and that it ran on gasoline?
yes!!!
Leo562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:31 PM   #92
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,792
I haven't read anything but the last page. B12 is available in Ca. Good stuff. Gumout? I haven't used it for decades since I figured out that it swells up and ruins rubber. Rubber is an important element of our carbs! I really do think such carb cleaners have something to do with carb diaphragms biting it. Normally they last for decades. B12 might swell rubber too but I have never been tempted to put it on or in assembled carbs.

I read on the internet that Amorall is no good. I have used it for decades on my own bikes and have never seen any trouble for it.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:07 PM   #93
pommie john
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo562 View Post
So today I got a charge in a battery from the k1200gt.

I pulled the spark plugs and .... IT TURNED OVER JUST FINE!
I heard it's power for the first time ever I almost had the energy to do a million backflips!
It was so exciting!
There is no feeling like hearing it roar!
So now I need to work on the clutch and the transmission!
Put a little money into getting it painted and possibly re-chrome some things and putting back together piece by piece! :)

I'll update more soon!!!

It's running? Brilliant!
Looking forward to more updates.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #94
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,950
The bike should have fresh oil in it and after this long in storage a new oil filter and air filter.

I don't live in California. I heard that Berryman's wasn't available there because it works too good which would indicate it might have chemicals in it that the State of California doesn't like. I was wrong but it was told to me this way.

I still don't like Amour All. I do like Back to Black but even that is not permanent and needs to be repeated.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #95
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,445
Nothing to add other than these are my favorite threads, and good luck Leo!
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #96
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
The bike should have fresh oil in it and after this long in storage a new oil filter and air filter.

I don't live in California. I heard that Berryman's wasn't available there because it works too good which would indicate it might have chemicals in it that the State of California doesn't like. I was wrong but it was told to me this way.

I still don't like Amour All. I do like Back to Black but even that is not permanent and needs to be repeated.
Amour All has always done exactly what I bought it for. I mention it just because I usually read nothing but bad about it on the net. Same thing with K+N filters and other subjects. Just trying to keep it real. I just thought that since the last time I have mentioned it I have probably seen a hundred photos here on oldscool of K+N's on bikes with no oil on the filter. I'll be the fist to tell you that they don't filter worth a crap like that.

supershaft screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 02:51 PM
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:01 PM   #97
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

I think the prejudice against K&N filters may be unjust. I don't have any personal experience with them other than I bought one once for a car and when I found out how much work it was to clean and re-oil I threw it away. And expensive. If I was riding in off road dusty conditions I might want to investigate further. But for me the stock filter works just fine anyway.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Old 01-26-2013, 07:43 PM   #98
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,492
Rubber grease, always worked good for me in preventing BMW rubber bits from drying out and cracking. Used to be available at autoparts but now seems to be replaced everywhere with sillycone type greases and to me they don't seem to penetrate the rubber as well, stays greasy and attract dirt.

Looked around last year, my large tube was empty after 20 or so years. Found some on fleabay UK, cheap and I am good for another 20 years. But already gave some away in little jars, stuff goes a long way.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #99
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
Rubber grease, always worked good for me in preventing BMW rubber bits from drying out and cracking. Used to be available at autoparts but now seems to be replaced everywhere with sillycone type greases and to me they don't seem to penetrate the rubber as well, stays greasy and attract dirt.

Looked around last year, my large tube was empty after 20 or so years. Found some on fleabay UK, cheap and I am good for another 20 years. But already gave some away in little jars, stuff goes a long way.

Never heard of this stuff. Only you would come up with something like this!
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:18 PM   #100
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,342
PBR rubber grease is a castor oil based grease that works well on rubber to keep it well protected.
Small quantity

Larger quantity.
boxerboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:01 AM   #101
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,494
I get the rubber grease free in little sachets from my local garage, I use it on those little o-rings on the brake shaft that goes through the final drive. Great stuff to have around.
England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:34 AM   #102
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

I see lots of rubber grease now....!Good stuff but next to impossible to find in Canada and the USAs anymore. I did find some somewhere in small quantities, but having to pay $15-20.00 for 2 Oz or so and then more than that for shipping to Canada, not cost effective.

Good stuff for rubber parts on fuel injection systems, unlike sillycone products will not pollute an expensive O2 sensor.

Big can shipped from the UK was less than $20.00. When I looked there was someone selling it by the tablespoon on Fleabay.

Castrol makes a similar product overseas, "Castrol Red Grease".

Castor grease.....well Castor is French for Beaver......
Old 01-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #103
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Is the idea that this product, Red Rubber Grease, which is intended for use in brake systems also good as a general rubber restorative and preservative?

Old 01-27-2013, 10:01 AM   #104
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,494
If you look up Caliper grease, it is easy to find in the US...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

we just use it as an assembly grease. not as a bearing grease although there is no reason why you could not use it on headstock bearings, as it is waterproof.
England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:36 AM   #105
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by England-Kev View Post
If you look up Caliper grease, it is easy to find in the US...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

we just use it as an assembly grease. not as a bearing grease although there is no reason why you could not use it on headstock bearings, as it is waterproof.
Yes but that's the caliper grease with Moly in it usually. You don't really want to lube external rubber bits with that, makes a hell of mess. May not be compatible with brake fluids just like the sillycone type ones and that's primarly why I got rubber grease, brake calipers/MC rebuilds altough I have known for a long time about their rubber preservation properties.

As it says on the packaging for the PBR stuff up there.