User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2015, 01:44 PM   #1
Toy4AK OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
My First Street Bike- R5 350

So after owning a Honda XR250 that I dual sported and got my motorcycle license with nearly 17 years ago, my avid street biker brother convinced me to go for a ride on a friends Harley when I was visiting Washington last month. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks to him, I'm hooked. Fast forward to a to a few weeks ago, my good friend is moving to Hawaii and offered me a few bikes that had been given to him and were sitting in his garage. He'd never taken time to fix them but was happy to get them out of the way and he prepares to move. He said one was a two stroke yamaha 350, a little google checking and I quickly agreed to come and get them. Here's what I ended up with
1970 R5 350
It's going to be a fun ride! My plan is to get it going and commute 8 miles to my job!
Toy4AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:54 PM   #2
Toy4AK OP
Adventurer

Here's why it was parked, the kick start wasn't engaging. Probably just the spring clip but I couldn't find a new one and the whole shaft was under $20 on ebay.
Was a pretty easy fix. I scored a set of keys for it also!

I read that Marvel's Mystery oil will clean chrome so I spent an hour shining things up, pretty amazing the difference!
After working on this shock for 5 minutes!
The old bike is looking better already.

I pulled the carbs to give them a Chemdip bath.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:55 PM   #3
MATTY
BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer: 477
A great bike you got there mate, i had the slightly newer at 1972 R5F model with black infils . Did my first trip to the Alps on that bike girlfriend/ now wife as pillion, Never missed a beat.
A way cool bike and it looks in nice shape.
Tour front mudguard looks slightly higher mounted than i remember but i guess time or that camera angle could be playing tricks with my ageing grey cells.
MATTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:05 PM   #4
Toy4AK OP
Adventurer

I found a few more problems, it had a missing spoke in the rear and a missing set of points. No doubt taken off to match with a new one but never replaced. A call to John at Economy cycle was in order. The stock air cleaner was toast and it was missing the boots also, so I decided to get a yboot K&N combo, new points & condensers, and plugs. I ordered some jets too since it was bound to flow better than before. My parts came in less than a week so Saturday was a flurry of activity, cleaning carbs and fighting with timing, rebuilding the petcock, and servicing the oil pump. Then it came time to do the points. I was born after this bike was built so I hadn't ever played with points. All of my bikes have had cdi, even my old outboard motors are CDI, setting points was a new procedure to me. My friend who gave me the bike also gave me a dial guage for setting the timing, that helped a bunch. When I finally got it all together that night, I poured fuel in it and whoops! I quickly realized that there was a crossover line on the fuel tank that was missing!!!

I was thinking of painting the tank, but the classic patina is growing on me, it has character!
Old 04-15-2015, 02:09 PM   #5
MATTY
BORDER RAIDER

My suggestion is leave it for what its worth.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:11 PM   #6
Toy4AK OP
Adventurer

I after kicking and kicking and getting nothing, I knew the timing was wrong. It seemed 180* off, I went through the procedure again. Nope it was all set right. Finally I put a plug in it and watched it spark, sure enough it was 180* off. Then it hit me, I had the plug wires switched. I just assumed the coil above each cylinder was the one for that cylinder, nope. I switched them and buttoned it back up.
Compression is 130 per side, the bike only has 3600 miles on it and runs great!

It's alive. (Smoking a bit since I always put oil in the fuel until I'm confident the oil pump is working).
I ordered some new tires from Amazon this week and was shocked they arrived today!
The tubes and spokes should be arriving soon, by next weekend it should be on the road for a test drive!
Old 04-15-2015, 03:48 PM   #7
RodT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
It's actually a 1971 R5-B model you have . I had a new one in 1971 at age 16, very fast, and would do roll on wheelies in 2nd gear. You found a keeper there, I wish I still had mine.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:29 PM   #8
Toy4AK OP
Adventurer

I was just going off the build date 9/70. I Do you know what differences the R5B '71 models had?

Toy4AK screwed with this post 04-15-2015 at 04:35 PM
Old 04-15-2015, 04:59 PM   #9
MATTY
BORDER RAIDER

The First R5s were a purpley colour with the white infils, The B was your orangey colour and white then they went with black infills on the later bikes.
My 1972 YR5F was a darker orange to yours with black infils.
Mechanically they were identical from what i remember.
This is the YR5F scheme

MATTY screwed with this post 04-15-2015 at 05:09 PM
Old 04-16-2015, 06:46 AM   #10
Rizingson
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy4AK View Post
I after kicking and kicking and getting nothing, I knew the timing was wrong. It seemed 180* off, I went through the procedure again. Nope it was all set right. Finally I put a plug in it and watched it spark, sure enough it was 180* off. Then it hit me, I had the plug wires switched. I just assumed the coil above each cylinder was the one for that cylinder, nope. I switched them and buttoned it back up. ....
Good catch I had the same thing happen to me on an X6 Suzuki Hustler. Plugs connected to the wrong coil
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=924068
Rizingson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:08 PM   #11
RodT
Gnarly Adventurer

There was very little difference in the 3 year models, in 1973 they putReed valve intakes on them and called then RD-350's. The 3 R-5's were, 1970 R-5A purple and white, 1971 R5-B Mandarin orange and white, and 1972 R5-C Mandarin orange and black. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_R5 these bikes were so quick, the only bike that was quicker was the Kawasaki H1 500 triple.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:16 PM   #12
Toy4AK OP
Adventurer

I'm looking forward to riding it! I've ridden 2 stroke dirt bikes and own 2 stroke snow machines and even two stroke outboards! It's getting close, I'm getting the registration paperwork done today and hope to have it on the road next week!
Old 04-16-2015, 01:21 PM   #13
RodT
Gnarly Adventurer

It was only by the grace of God that I survived that bike, every were I went it was WFO. At 16 I had a extreme need for SPEED. I still have a problem with that need, but it's a little more controlled these days.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:19 PM   #14
MATTY
BORDER RAIDER

They go quite well like RPMs acceleration was impressive for the day, and the frames susspension although not fantastic handling were adequate for the 36 (claimed) horses. I would have one again if one came my way.
I fitted straight bars (i do to nearly everything i own) this transformed the bike in my opinion. You will see 100mph on the speedo and they cruise well at about 70mph with economy in the mid to late 30s which i was always happy with.
Man you are going to love it, a thrash down the back lanes at dusk leaves you feeling flat as a sack when you get off the bike :loll .
Old 04-29-2015, 01:05 AM   #15
Toy4AK OP
Adventurer

Well, it's been a challenge getting this bike on the road. I guess there was more than one reason it got parked so many years ago.
I finally got new tires on it and the missing spoke replaced.

It rolls much better with the Avon Roadriders.
Turns out that the shift shaft was stripped and I couldn't get the shifter to work even after trying some internet tricks. I decided to replace it this winter so I broke out the welder and attached it for now, a good farm fix! I'm still playing with the jetting as I added the single K&N. Main feels good at 160 but was bogging on the mid, I dropped the needle, that didn't help. I pulled it back up to slot number 4 and oh boy did it waken up! It needed more fuel! The clutch slips a little, probably due to old age but WOW this little bike goes!