User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2014, 08:41 AM   #1
the_doc OP
Street Convert

Oddometer: 177
Wicked Kawasaki F7 175cc Thread

I picked up a pair of project bikes on Craigslist recently and I've begun the search for information on these Enduros. Looks like there have been a handful of threads in this section, but I thought it would be nice to have a general resource for anyone interested in, or working on their own project.

So this might be considered the 'mega-thread' or 'threadfest' for anyone working on an F7.

Obligatory picture of a Nice Looking Restored F7 (Not mine...)

So anyone out there? Whatcha working on? Just want to brag and show us your immaculate garage queen, fully restored bike? Got a sweet parts lead?

Here are the existing F7 threads in this forum:
1974 Project Bike
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=958881

1975 Project Bike

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803683

Leaking Oil

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=892459

Carb Float Height

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=889060

Bogging Down / Lacking Power Carb Issues

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=791673

Missing Key Bypass

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=700524

There is also pretty decent information hiding in a Yahoo user Group:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...kisingles/info

Parts diagrams are available in a handful of places, but here is a quick link to one that seems to work fine:
http://www.goekawasaki.com/OEMpartfinder.htm

This guy seems to have a lot of relevant information to vintage rotorary Kawasaki's in general... Not necessary the 175 in particular:
http://www.thejunkmanadv.com/

the_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:50 AM   #2
the_doc OP
Street Convert

72/73 Project Bikes

As I mentioned I picked up a pair of these bikes to try to get in running order and looking presentable. We'll see how far I get, considering most of the important stuff came to me in boxes.

Here they are coming out of the truck at the homestead

Boxes and loose parts, Also go some parts in a 30 pack (beer) box - No beer included =[

Took a couple minutes to collect all the loose parts into something a bit more suitable

Holding area until I see what I'm working with engine-wise

Ideally I'd like to move all the good parts I have over to the silver bike and keep it as original as possible. The red one has obviously seen some repainting and sticker-ing, even though it appears to be in a little better condition. The guy I bought them from said that he bought the pair as a project and actually had the red one running, but one for a few minutes before the piston broke and seized it up. So I started with 1 free engine and 1 stuck engine.

I already tore the stuck one down, and pulled out the broken piston pieces - to and the jug looks fine still. Got quite a bit of cleaning to do as they are both caked in dirt. They guy did have the clymers manual with them, so I'm not toally in the dark. I also found a pdf of the Kawasaki manual thru MY 1973 on the web...
Old 03-05-2014, 06:05 AM   #3
andrewgore
Team MGH

Oddometer: 3,133
My thread here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=757467

Though as you know I've listed it locally. I blame my KTM

I've got an old school Clymer manual at home for it as well. Kinda cool that they spec out how to hot rod the motor. They give you dimensions for the rotary valve and a few other trick things.

Andrew
andrewgore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:33 AM   #4
the_doc OP
Street Convert

A little progress on one of the 2 engines. Had a few beers with a buddy and tore it down all the way. Since he wasn't heavily invested in the project the parts ended up all over the workbench - but I figure I have 2 manuals and an example engine to put it back together, so I'm not terribly worried.

Trying to figure out the best way to clean these up. I thought about buying a parts washing station, but settled on a plastic tote with about 1/2 of degreaser in the bottom - and an array of wire / plastic / and tube brushes. took maybe an hour to get 1 side of the crankcase looking decent.

You can see how dirty it was compared with the uncleaned side. But there is still a fair amount of dirt / grime stuck in the little corners and odd shaped parts of the transmission area... It will do for now, or until I figure a better way to get at the small spots. Slow going, but seems like a necessary step

Old 03-12-2014, 07:05 AM   #5
sjc56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,111
[IMG]_SJC8905[/IMG]Here is my 72, needs new seals which I got to get to this spring.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:53 PM   #6
Rd650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
^^^
Good looking F7
Rd650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:35 AM   #7
the_doc OP
Street Convert

Indeed a good looking '72

Speaking of seals-

Would it be a major mistake to not replace all the crank case seals while I'm this far into the engines? I was considering not since they 'look' okay, and I can't find a single place to buy all the required seals.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:33 AM   #8
the_doc OP
Street Convert

Tried to breakdown my 2nd (Donor) engine this past weekend.

The flywheel would NOT come off the shaft. Not sure if I was doing something wrong, but the damn thing would not budge a bit. I ended up destroying my puller/bolts - the center pin yielded and bent off in the dimple in the end of the shaft. NO LUCK.

This was my setup:

I need to get to the transmission gears to replace 2 broken pieces in the other engine...
Old 04-21-2014, 10:44 AM   #9
andrewgore
Team MGH

Mine was the same situation. I think it's the 40 years of being in 1 location it's entire life. It doesn't want to move. I'm trying to remember, but I may have used a little heat or some other form of persuasion to get mine off. Maybe spray with some penetrating fluid?

Just don't thread the bolts in too far & hit the stator. DAMHIK.

Andrew
Old 04-21-2014, 11:01 AM   #10
pirate gonzo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Subscribing just because this was my first bike, mine was a 1972 yellowish color. I would love to get one again some day just for nostalgic purposes.
pirate gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:08 AM   #11
the_doc OP
Street Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgore View Post
...I may have used a little heat or some other form of persuasion to get mine off...
I tried the torch and a bit of strategic pounding and that didn't help either. I think you are right, after 40 years, its basically like 1 solid piece of steel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate gonzo View Post
Subscribing just because this was my first bike, mine was a 1972 yellowish color. I would love to get one again some day just for nostalgic purposes.
Thanks for tagging along. It'll be slow going, as its just a bit of a side project... but Hopefully I'll have a farm bomber on the other side.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:04 PM   #12
JMGreen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Subscribing because I just bought one. Getting cylinder work done now and will hopefully have it running soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JMGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:26 PM   #13
Redclayrider
Long time gone

Oddometer: 247
In.
Redclayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:26 AM   #14
andrewgore
Team MGH

I decided to pull the motor out of my F7 last night. I figured if all else were in decent enough shape, I'd try to find a stator setup to mod in from another bike to get mine going.

I figured why not pull the head.....

Welp, there goes any plans to make this motor run again.

Time to find an alternative route to take.

Andrew

ps - I need to put that motor in a plastic bag. My garage has a hint of 70's premix to it now.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:00 AM   #15
the_doc OP
Street Convert

Hmmm... doesn't look good. I see your flywheel came off, doing better than I

Do you still have the carb assembled? Do you happen to have a pic of that you could post up?