User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2015, 06:51 AM   #1
DisorganizedVince OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Just picked up a 1983 Izh Planeta 3

Getting back into biking after a year of not riding, and I've just started renting a garage (first time I'll be able to work in my own garage!) and ended up with an almost unused 1983 Izh Planeta 3, it has a few (very) minor issues that I've figured so far, and I'll be using this thread mostly to keep track of it all

So, to do -

Replace speedo cable (no speedo cable at all,)
Replace throttle guide (the throttle guide is snapped in half)
Replace battery
Adjust brakes, see if there's any way to make this bike stop semi-decently
Buy oil and oil everything, everything from the clutch to the throttle is stiff, but hopefully after oiling the cables and greasing the levers it should be better
Replace gearbox oil, just because I don't know if/when it's been done, ditto for the enclosed chain

Potential -

See if I can get a gear lever off of a different bike so I can shift like a Japanese bike... the Izh needs me to take my foot off of the footpeg to change up and down

Same for the rear brake lever

Get the right carb for the bike, or rejet the current one. The guy I bought it from told me that the carb was off of a Jawa

And of course - pics

Old 03-27-2015, 05:19 AM   #2
DisorganizedVince OP
Gnarly Adventurer

And now the fun begins

So, the bike didn't want to start today. The only 2 strokes I've worked on before have been 50cc, and all my big bikes have been 4 strokes so this is a new (if not entirely) unfamiliar beast to me.

The bike has good compression, I've pulled the spark plug, and it's sparking, but soaked every time. It was also incredibly dirty. I'm lacking a tool collection at the moment, no doubt it'll grow massively in size over the next few weeks, but until then I'll have to build up theories. If anybody wants to throw suggestions in, please, be my guest

Theory 1 : Wrong spark plug, the owner gave me a "spare" spark plug with the bike, that's the right thread, but a completely different number and isn't as deep as the plug in the bike.

Theory 2: Driving it home it ran out of petrol on main and I had to switch it to reserve. It might've pulled alot of dirt in and jammed up the carb (there was no fuel filter, but I've now bought an inline fuel filter to put in)

Theory 3: Incorrectly set up carb, the previous owner told me the carb is off of a Jawa, and out of curiosity I checked how far out the air screw was - less than 3/4 of a turn. For a 4 stroke at least I'd assume this to normally be far too little, but hey, I don't know 2 strokes anyway the carb might have completely the wrong jetting (although it ran okay,) or just be incorrectly set up.

Theory 4: Junk fuel. The previous owner told me the fuel is incredibly old, and the motorcycle has sat all winter. Also he told me to only use 80 octane fuel, so the fuel could just be full of junk.

Theory 5: Less likely than the above, but the battery doesn't hold charge. This may affect the ignition. Although I wouldn't expect it to make much of a difference on a Soviet motorcycle.

Please feel free to throw in any thoughts or ideas, and until then I'll keep updating this as I go
Old 03-27-2015, 06:20 AM   #3
MATTY
BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer: 506
The jikov carb will most probably be hindering your staring, get a brand new Carb i am guessing it should have a a K65.
You can get one for 50 quid to your door along with many other parts you might need from these. http://www.minskparts.com/IZH%20spar...e%20parts.html

The gear leaver issue can be tackled by undoing and rotating the footrest this is probably at the bottom i have mine down low and to the rear and it is a reach for the leaver but i get now where i dont even notice it anymore.
THE BRAKES Good luck! I have tried everything with the stock brakes on my 350 sport ( now a 400) but have decided to fit a disk brake off a jap bike, its a practical up grade and in keeping with my modified sport.
The sport and i am guessing the normal planetas and jupiters are close to 35 mm so try and get some forks the same length and tube size for a straight forward up grade, i am having to sleave my forks are 33mm using them because i had them laying about off my old GN400 from 20++ years.
Streetfighter forums have fork tube size charts so you get an idea what will be a straight forward fit.

If you are struggling for a speedo cable give me a shout i may just have one to match up with the normal planeta i simply dont know if it is different to the sport at this stage.
MATTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:49 AM   #4
DisorganizedVince OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Matty, I actually live in Ukraine, and a local bike shop has told me about a stall in a nearby market that sells Soviet motorcycle parts, so second hand Izh parts hopefully shouldn't be a problem to find, at this point I definitely agree the most likely culprit is the carb, so I'll be going in search of an Izh carb tomorrow, if you ever need any second hand Izh parts feel free to give me a message and I can see what it'd cost second hand here, I see Izhs everywhere, and this bike only cost me $300 (with 8500km on the clock, although obviously there's no speedo cable,) so I wouldn't imagine any parts would be too expensive.

I checked out the footpegs and it definitely looks doable, just looking at it it seems if I move the pegs back and up (they're pointed forwards at the moment) and move the gear lever down a notch or two it should be somewhat more comfortable. The gear lever's nicely stuck on the shaft for now, but I've left it to sit soaked in oil overnight to give it another crack tomorrow. I also don't have the right spanner to loosen the pegs, so that's another one to look for tomorrow.

A disc brake replacing the Izh's definitely sounds like the best way to go, the brakes are... worrying to say the least, but probably a little way off for me in this project yet

What spark plug are you running in your Izh by the way? I picked up both a Russian spark plug, and an NGK B-6LS (I think, the box is in the garage,) on the advice of somebody working in a car shop, but the manual I have for the Izh doesn't actually say (that I can see, my Russian isn't exactly great) what spark plug it should take.

I've pretty much discounted theories #1, #2, and #4 now. I've drained the tank and replaced the fuel. Although the fuel was a horrible colour, it was completely free of dirt. I even pulled the screen filter in the tap off and it was spotless. The previous owner told me he used 80 octane petrol in it (cheap in Ukraine,) it now has 95 octane fresh petrol, and of course 2 stroke oil. This discounts theories #2 and #4, I've replaced the spark plugs (and tried both the Russian and NGK plug,) and the most I've got from the bike was a pop.

Remembering how more specific the one 2 stroke I've ever really worked on was (an old Yamaha DT50MX,) to carb settings, the air filter, and air leaks I tried various settings on the air/fuel screw, but to no avail. I've left it on it's original setting of 3/4 of a turn out. I need to get a decent screwdriver to pull and check the air filter.

Definitely looks like the carb is the most likely culprit for now.

Another question for you Matty - is your Izh fitted with a center stand? Mine has no fitted with no obvious way of actually using it, and I'm not sure if a previous owner has pulled it off of a random bike and put it on, or if there's something obvious I'm missing here. I'm putting on a picture of the center stand and the carb (an MZ carb)

Old 03-27-2015, 06:14 PM   #5
MATTY
BORDER RAIDER

Plugs i use NGK B8HS .
And yes the PS350 has a centre stand it swings off the lower frame lugs are there on the planeta sport model.
I will take a few pictures in daylight tomorrow.
Your bike has a different manifold and carb to any i have seen on the IZH PS 350 models . Mine has a mikuni as stock, but made for russian market PS350s run the K65.

Lots of info on this forum on yours and other izhs etc.
http://moto-planeta.ru/motoizh/tuning-izha/

MATTY screwed with this post 03-27-2015 at 06:29 PM
Old 03-28-2015, 12:22 AM   #6
DisorganizedVince OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The carb is definitely off of a Jawa, it has MZ stamped on the side, and on the top I can just about read that it was made in Czechslovakia, if you could take pictures of your carb/inlet manifold, and how to actually get the center stand down it would be much appreciated

I'm guessing if it was fitted with a Mikuni as stock that'd go a fair way to giving the Sport model more power, Russian carbs don't exactly look like the most advanced things in the world

I'll be trying to find a K65 today, but do you know what Mikuni, and what jetting is standard? A Mikuni sounds like a good fall back if I can't find a K65, and might even be desirable a upgrade if I can, having a choke would be nice too

Assuming I have the time to try fitting a carb today I'll pull the inlet manifold and make sure it's actually the same bore as the carb and the port on the head, for all I know the manifold might've been pulled off of a Jawa too

Thanks for the forum link, I haven't got the time to check it now as I'm literally typing this up quickly before I go out, but I'll take a look there later
Old 03-28-2015, 02:25 AM   #7
MATTY
BORDER RAIDER

Just looked on minsk spares at the normal planeta inlet manifolds, they look just like yours and are different to the sports i am used to.
The sport has a dual intake port nothing like the stock planeta.
Looking at pictures it seems the planeta 3s do have a carb that looks like yours bolts to the manifold, the k65s and mikuni 34s are on rubbers so much easier to swap about.
Dont write off the russian junk carbs, i went back to a K65 flat tin slide carb on my PS350x 400 conversion from the mikuni and although i want more with what i have here at the moment the K65 is making more power, i do want a PWK keihin eventually but its finding one at my cheapskate money but thats another story.

Take the carb off do a bit more research it could be you are closer to stock set up than first thought based on this photo, looks like yours to me.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:23 AM   #8
DisorganizedVince OP
Gnarly Adventurer

That definitely looks like my inlet manifold, at least I know that's original, the previous owner seems to have liked changing things for no obvious reason, my headlights are wired into the indicator switch, and the indicator switch is wired into the headlight switch... that's something I'll get around to sorting eventually, but not the biggest problem in the world

I picked up a new carb today - a Chinese K58 for about 12, although I didn't think much of the sales technique of the guy working there 'It's modern! More economical!' (I hear 'it's Chinese! Jetted to run ridiculously lean!') it looks closer to the K56 than the MZ carb that's on there, and has the right bolt mountings for my inlet manifold instead of rubber mountings. I may just have to play with jetting. (I've had to put a fake Chinese Keihin on an old CM200T before, and after a lot of playing with jetting/needle settings/etc. it ran fine.) At least the shop seems to be well stocked on Izh parts, they even have old petrol tanks, barrels, cylinder heads etc. sat outside. I picked up a new speedo cable while I was there too.

I couldn't pick up tools today unfortunately, I tried to buy some from a Russian guy I know at the bazaar, but he insisted that I wouldn't pay for his tools and he'll give me spare ones from his home, but when I have tools I'll get cracking with the carb and check how the air filter looks, and hopefully make some progress. I'll pull the MZ carb apart as well to see if there's anything obviously wrong inside stopping it from working. There doesn't appear to be an obvious overflow for either the carb or the air filter, so for all I know the float could be stuck and flooding everything.

Gotta go for now, but I'll keep updating this as I go. Thanks for the help Matty
Old 03-28-2015, 11:59 AM   #9
DisorganizedVince OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quick update, just realised the carb is a K68D (К68Д) need to look into this to see if this means that it's for a Dnepr (Днепр,) as the other K68 varieties marked on the side are I (И, maybe for Izh/Иж) and U/U01 (У, maybe Ural/Урал) could mean this carb is jetted for a Dnepr

DisorganizedVince screwed with this post 03-28-2015 at 12:03 PM Reason: Messed up post, meant to edit, quoted everything
DisorganizedVince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 04:26 PM   #10
MATTY
BORDER RAIDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisorganizedVince View Post
Quick update, just realised the carb is a K68D (К68Д) need to look into this to see if this means that it's for a Dnepr (Днепр,) as the other K68 varieties marked on the side are I (И, maybe for Izh/Иж) and U/U01 (У, maybe Ural/Урал) could mean this carb is jetted for a Dnepr
I do think it is off a boxer twin but dont let that put you off, start by striping and cleaning g the jikov / jikov clone carb you have on there right now.
It might be it wil be ok with a quick wash and brush up.
There are some online PDF files on the russian carbs and they go into great detail worth looking them up, i got one for the K65 for reference if i ever need it, they are there for them all.
Very simple little carbs can strip them with a knife.
It will be flooded due to the carb from the sounds of it, the sports start frighteningly easy when set up properly, just feel the compression push threw it and its away generally, watching the youtube videos of people trying to start them two or three kicks cant understand how they could be that hard to start I honestly can never remember any of my sports being this awkward to start, i built the engine up from parts i had laid around for a long distance trials bike i am building dropped it in the frame did not fit the kick start first start from assembly just pushed it a few inches and it struck up instantly, they just like to work and i was not that technical with it a that stage just gapped the points by eye they are not a sensitive motor the izh models.

MATTY screwed with this post 03-28-2015 at 04:32 PM
Old 03-29-2015, 09:43 AM   #11
DisorganizedVince OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Managed to get some time to spend in the garage with the bike today, so here's what's new

I pulled off the carb (which is an original Jikov,) and was greeted by a nice flow of petrol from my air filter - so I think it's safe to assume that the float was stuck and flooding the air filter and the cylinder - when I change the gear oil I'll check for signs of petrol to make sure it hasn't seeped past the rings. And it turns out the inside of an Izh's air filter is... plastic?

I think at some point I'll pull all this stuff out and cut some air filter foam to size to make it a bit more of a substantial filter. Probably not entirely necessary, but I live in an incredibly polluted industrial city. I'll probably drill a hole in the bottom of the filter housing too so if I ever have a stuck float again the petrol has somewhere to go.

Anyway, everything on this carb is nicely seized into place, and lacking decent tools I didn't want to try pulling it apart yet. I left the air filter on the side to dry, and put on the new K68 (which by the way, is almost certainly for a twin - it has an outlet on the side I can only assume is for balancing carbs.) The throttle cable is too long to be adjusted properly for the carb, leaving me with a stupid amount of slack, but this isn't exactly a huge issue for now, I'll replace it with a new cable. I kicked the engine over with the decompressor lever and the fuel tap off for a while to clear the engine of petrol, then gave it a try both kick and bump starting, but she wouldn't even try. There was the comforting sound of air intake now though

Seeing as it wasn't even trying to start I pulled out the spark plug, and found out it wasn't sparking anymore. First of all turned out there was almost nothing for the spark plug cap to bite on to, and a rubber bung stopping the plug cap going further on to the HT lead, I pulled off the rubber bung, twisted the cap on, and then had a nice spark. Put plug in/cap back on, and got a little growl while trying to bump start her, but still no go. Went to take the plug cap off to reconfirm spark again, and, well... this came off in my hand

So, the carb problem is (theoretically, as of yet not testable) solved, and I need a new HT lead. If I get time I'll see if I can get one tomorrow. I really need an English - Russian technical dictionary, I'll probably pull the tank and seat off first so if all else fails I can just show what I need.

Need to pick up some angled ring ended spanners or a socket set so I can get the seat off... I'm guessing it's the bolts above the side panels holding the seat on?

Looks like this Izh doesn't suffer from much except for neglect... so far I'm enjoying this, it's nice to be able to work in a garage, and to be able to take things slow and not have to rely on the bike for essential transport and fix everything quickly like I have with past bikes.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:08 AM   #12
DisorganizedVince OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So, things are getting interesting again

It turns out the reason the old HT lead came off is pretty simple - the HT lead itself is supposed to be held on by a plastic nut, which tightens down on to that rubber bung... so at some point a previous owner has had the HT lead off, and put it on with the spark plug cap on the side of the rubber bung, leaving the HT lead held on by luck alone. It now has a new HT lead which is properly secured on

I also found a Chinese copy of a K65I today and seeing as it was cheap have that on the bike instead of the K68D, also turns out that the Jikov has a smaller bore than the inlet manifold, so it's definitely not the right carb.

Now here's the problem, and for now it has me stumped. The spark plug is only sparking when NOT in the bike. Purely for testing purposes I picked up a spark plug cap with an LED light in it. Holding the plug against the engine casings and kicking it over, nothing. Holding the plug against my finger, I get a nice electric shock, and a nice bright flash from the LED. Inside the engine, I get nothing at all.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Spark plug gap maybe? I've literally thought of that just now as I'm typing this... I'll go out to the garage to play with gapping later. Any more ideas would be much appreciated.

I've also fitted a new throttle cable today, and adjusted the front brake so it can at least be locked up... before even with the lever right to the grip it wouldn't lock. Got to wait until the bike's rideable to test how well it brakes of course, and to make sure it won't be adjusted too tight if the brakes get hot.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:51 AM   #13
DisorganizedVince OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Another update -

I finally worked out how to get the seat up to remove the tank, so I managed to get a proper look at the ignition coil. Firstly it turns out that the negative wire was (barely) wrapped around the terminal, and after touching it the little bit of wire that was there snapped. I'll get a connector so I can actually fix it on properly. After wrapping it around the terminal as well as I could, I got a couple of good sparks, but then incredibly weak (but regular) sparks, only noticeable from "the finger test." I'm assuming the ignition coil is had it, so I'll hunt for a new one tomorrow. Also turns out the ignition coil is off of an IZH 56, not that I imagine that makes alot of difference.

I've now managed to get the footpegs into a (semi) comfortable position, but unfortunately for the left footpeg to be in a comfortable position, if the kickstart lever is folded in it pushes into the back of my leg. I'm playing with the idea of just riding with it folded out, but I saw a pike of an Izh Planeta with a kick lever that completely folds in instead of just the end, so I might look for one to replace it with.

Hopefully my next update will be to say the bike is working

Quick question too - as a crude test to make sure petrol was getting to the cylinder as the plug seemed quite dry, with the carb off I felt in the inlet manifold, and noticed there are no reed valves - I can feel straight through to the piston. Am I missing something? Or is the Izh missing something?

DisorganizedVince screwed with this post 03-31-2015 at 10:59 AM
DisorganizedVince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:23 PM   #14
MATTY
BORDER RAIDER

:loll You are picking your way through the problems by the song of it.
You may have a spark out the engine but it won't be a good one, the dodgy earth is a text book weak spark candidate i am of the opinion if you rectify that, and make sure its not still flooded it will fire straight up.
No reed valves on the IZh planetas so don't worry nothing is missing.
Sit down go through all connections and put them right, from the sounds of it this is your main problem.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:01 AM   #15
DisorganizedVince OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I've already checked the earth wire, and although there's no electrical connector, and it's just wrapped around the earth point, it's at least fairly secure, unlike it was on the ignition coil. I'll pick up a bag of electrical connectors so I can sort out all of the dodgy wires. I need to wire the indicators/headlights back into the right switches at some point too, and replace the battery. I've always hated dealing with electrics, but at least on the Izh everything looks fairly simple.

My wife's agreed that it's a good idea if I can find a cheap second Izh for parts instead of buying new parts too... so the hunt's on for a friend for my Izh in the garage