motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
Its like "Mikey"
"Try it, You'll like it"
Old 01-19-2013, 04:45 PM   #17
seasider
Just a rider

Oddometer: 351
Haven't taken the time to read the responses so my honest answer after owning both....they are both easy to ride but for me the 1200 seems better balanced. I'm a 1200 snob at this point. Probably no fix and I'm ok with that.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:45 PM   #18
r'elise me
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
My impression of the two bikes based on long test rides in paved twisties is that the FGS is much easier to ride on road than my GSA and I imagine MUCH easier off road. The weight is the primary reason IMO.

These are machines and you need to use the right machine for the job at hand. Granted I'm a noob off road, I CANNOT imagine how difficult off road situations can be managed with my GSA. I know that I need to be 3x the rider I am to take the GSA beyond the fire roads. The FGS I can IMAGINE taking on a serious off road adventure, but IMO, for that sort of thing you'd be much better off with the KTM 990 or 690 (I've got the 690e for long offroad trips, I've also got a KTM EXC450 for DS day rides).

Even though I liked the FGS, I bought the GSA because it is the defacto round-the-world touring machine that will survive hell or high water, and it truly is pampering on the highway. That's not an reputation any other bike can claim, even an FGS. Now, if you're not going to use it for hard core touring with minor off roading, I see no reason to consider an RGS. If you plan on doing a lot of in town street and freeway commuting with lighter touring get the FGS, no question in my mind. IMHO, the FGS is much more versatile, practical and provides for what MOST people need from a light touring superenduro. Believe me (and flame me if you will), I even prefer the rotax motor over the bulky, vibrating boxer. It revs more freely and it's a more tidy, narrow package.

12 year old boy - baddest-ass toy I've ever had
r'elise me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:50 AM   #19
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasider View Post
Haven't taken the time to read the responses so my honest answer after owning both....they are both easy to ride but for me the 1200 seems better balanced. I'm a 1200 snob at this point. Probably no fix and I'm ok with that.
I've also owned both. Thought the 800 would be easier for this old guy. Taller, almost as heavy and not nearly as good on the road. Sold it after 2k and kept the 12GS.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:46 AM   #20
Migs OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
In reading these responses I realize that bikes are like girls. A large part is how you ride them but another is the myth and mystique that surrounds them. In this regard the 1200's have the world in their hands.
Migs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #21
oldfool
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
1200 gs vs 800 gs

I have ridden the 800gs and the 1200gs. I own the 1200 hp2. If you are wondering which to get, find an hp2. It's way easier to ride offroad then the other two. Besides doing everthing else better. IMHO Richard
oldfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:25 AM   #22
Migs OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I was also looking at the HP2 until I googled to find it has been discontinued.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:32 AM   #23
Hendo66
Hendo66

Oddometer: 151
Have owned both after recently moving up to the 1200, I find it an "easier" bike to ride overall for the following reason taking into account most of my riding is on the black stuff or dirt roads.

* smoother power delivery and no snatchy throttle
* ease of braking balance with linked brakes, lazy I know
* better wind protection
* no dive in the front end
* better long distance manners, more comfortable etc
* better carrying capability of luggage, pillion
* lower centre of gravity, better balanced
* gearbox is more positive
* steering requires less input

All in my opinion if its of any use to OP

2008 BMW F800GS 2011 BMW R1200GS
Hendo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:39 AM   #24
Migs OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Hendo66!

All good comments about the bike. -Migs
Old 01-21-2013, 06:28 AM   #25
GapRunr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
I keep reading all these comments about how the 800 must be easier to ride off road because of the difference in weight.

Has anyone actually looked at the specs? Based on BMW's numbers from their web site for wet weight, ready to ride, fully fueled.... the oil cooled R12GS is 32 pounds heavier than the F8GS. Another interesting tidbit is that the 800 has a wheelbase 2.9 inches *longer* than the 1200 and the overall length is 4.3 inches *longer*.

For a 32 pound penalty you get a shorter bike with a lower center of gravity, lower seat height, and the power characteristics of a tractor with a ton of low end torque.

The new R1200GS waterboxernotoilboxerh2oboxathonwhateverthenicknam ewillbe is another 21 pounds heavier bringing the difference to 53 pounds... Depending where that weight is, it might start to get noticeable but it might not.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:45 AM   #26
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,095
The 800 IS NOT (IMHO) EASIER TO RIDE OFF-ROAD!
The R1200GS clutch is like a tractor. It requires MUCH less precision off road than, what I felt to be, the more sensitive 800 clutch. The 1200's clutch is absudly easy to modulate, it's CoG is low, it chugs along nicely. I found the the F800GS's clutch to be MUCH more sensitive, as soon as the clutch is in all uphill forward momentum is lost, it feels tall and it is harder to upright when laying in dirt.
But, I have seen the 800 do amazing things in the right hands. I just think that the 1200 is easier for novice/mid-level off-roaders.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:37 AM   #27
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

GapRunr,
Not sure where you are getting your specs, but right off of the BMW Motorrad USA site:

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/index.html

The weight difference fueled and ready to ride is 53 lbs....that is substantial. I am not argueing whether it is easier or harder to ride...that is this discussion and there is alot of support for the 12 even off road. I am merely talking about pure riding weight. Then the difference in the GSA, mostly fuel and crash bars, is ANOTHER 39 lbs for a total of 92 lbs more than a 800.

I do agree that with bags and the jugs sticking out and acting like a kick stand of sorts, the 11/12 bikes are possibly easier to pick up, on DRY ground. In mud the jugs make act like anchors burying into the mud...both bikes have pros and cons.

For the average BMW rider, I would say the 12 is a bit more practical bike that the 800, but that does not discount the fun factor of a more dirt bike feeling GS that you get with the 800.

ps: Yes the 800 has a longer wheelbase, but the longer Overall length is a combo of the extra wheelbase combined with a 21" front wheel over the 19" on the 1200. That may add length, but that also adds off road capabilities...I know there has been discussions on that here, but a 21" is better in most off road situations. +1 point for the 800 off road. Easier ? Insert Personal opinion here...

kellymac530 screwed with this post 01-21-2013 at 08:42 AM Reason: add ps
kellymac530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:49 PM   #28
GapRunr
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymac530 View Post
GapRunr,
Not sure where you are getting your specs, but right off of the BMW Motorrad USA site:

The weight difference fueled and ready to ride is 53 lbs....that is substantial.
That's the new water cooled GS. Hence why I said "the oil cooled R12GS is 32 pounds heavier than the F8GS". I assumed we were talking about the oil cooled 1200 since people were providing anectodal comparisons, which would be difficult to do with a bike that hasn't really hit the streets yet. The ADV on BMW's site is still an oil cooled bike. I would expect that a water cooled ADV would be heavier, which means it will probably be at least 100 pounds more than an F800GS. That's going to heavily offset any advantages the lower CoG, better clutch feel, power delivery. etc. brings to the party. Given the overall size of an oil cooled ADV, it's amazing it doesn't way a lot more. What's really stunning is that it weighs *less* than BMW's new 650 Scooter.

Only BMW would make their F800GS comparatively lighter by increasing the weight of the next bike up the food chain!

Old 01-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #29
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Gap,
I was wrong, that figure was the water cooled...my bad.
I went back and found the 2012 OIL head R1200GS specs on that same site, under "other bikes" and it states the R1200 weight as 516 lbs and the f800 as 472 lbs...I get 44 lbs difference....but either way, I still choose the 1200..personally.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #30
GapRunr
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymac530 View Post
but either way, I still choose the 1200..personally.
Me too!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1657