Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 10:19 AM   #16
Ron Seida OP
Adventman

Oddometer: 1,252
Ive used both copper and silver/nickel with similar effects. I really don't think their temperature ratings really apply to us as they're both rated well beyond their expected duty in our case. These heads were dug out of a pile of parts, im really glad the previous owner didn't try to forcefully remove those plugs.
While were on the subject of cylinder heads, heres a question for you ole' timers. At what point did BMW put larger steel inserts in their heads? One of the heads in my possession has larger holes than i was expecting.
D. Irwin...
Ron Seida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #17
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiplicity View Post
No! If it's not a 2 stroke. Today's spark plug technology is far superior to the old copper core of yesteryear.

Platinum, Double Platinum and Iridium plugs will run for much longer and don't require frequent replacement
Very true. Even a quality (Bosch, NGK, ND, . . .) base level "fat" core plug will last a long time in these engines assuming all else is well. It's not a race bike.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #18
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 6,483
Platinum, Double Platinum and Iridium plugs will run for much longer and don't require frequent replacement.

Only problem is, these plugs won't work well in a slash 2. They're not 0 resistance. That leaves the Bosch and NGK that still utilize the Old Technology.
I like the idea of some slippery stuff on the threads.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #19
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 3,356
"Butterheads"

The heads that had problems with the metallurgy were from 1962-67. The information is on Duane Ausherman's website: http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/head/index.htm
Big Bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #20
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
I don't think they make aluminum anti-seize, do they?
I used to use Wurth AL1100, but it's a bit expensive for me these days, so just use a copper antisieze.

http://www.wurth.co.uk/product/al1100
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #21
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,986
I use this one

It's the Permatex Anti Seize compound in the jar with a brush. I only have several of these because I would over the years not be able to find the last one I bought and so I bought another one. I've been using the same Anti Seize for over 40 years. It's the one I was told to use when I did Volkswagen work and I don't see any reason to change now.

Permatex's Web Page says this has Aluminum, Copper and Graphite in it. It's the silver one.

I have not used any Anti Seize on spark plug threads on my Airhead. I've not had a problem except when I first got my bike 12 or 13 years ago and the threads on one side were messing up. I rethreaded the Aluminum with the KD spark plug threader and have never had a problem since. I think I have now done both sides with the same threading tool which is part of my on board tool kit.

I have recently been thinking I will add a small touch of Anti Seize. Good stuff. I just never bothered before.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #22
Yakima
Whee! Wee Strom

Oddometer: 314
NGK says...

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/pdf/tb-...1antisieze.pdf
Old 01-19-2013, 06:22 PM   #23
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,768
I never use anything, as I love Helicoils, and keep hoping my plugs will strip, giving me an excuse to pull out the coil kit!

I am a big fan of Permatex Anti Seize (as Disston posted) other stuff may work well too, but this is for sure going to work!
Don't use much, a little dab will do, and damn is it messy when you use too much!
Old 01-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #24
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,551
i like to take some of that silver permatex, and cut it with a silicon grease.

called affectionately by one of my gone mentors "mother in laws vaseline"

i put it on plugs, wheel studs, brake bolts, anything that has dissimilar metals, or heat.

makes it much easier for the next guy to work on, because it might be you.
villageidiot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:17 PM   #25
Ron Seida OP
Adventman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakima View Post
Thats really interesting . Thanks for the link.
D. Irwin...
Old 01-20-2013, 09:37 AM   #26
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
I use this one

It's the Permatex Anti Seize compound in the jar with a brush. I only have several of these because I would over the years not be able to find the last one I bought and so I bought another one. I've been using the same Anti Seize for over 40 years. It's the one I was told to use when I did Volkswagen work and I don't see any reason to change now.

Permatex's Web Page says this has Aluminum, Copper and Graphite in it. It's the silver one.

I have not used any Anti Seize on spark plug threads on my Airhead. I've not had a problem except when I first got my bike 12 or 13 years ago and the threads on one side were messing up. I rethreaded the Aluminum with the KD spark plug threader and have never had a problem since. I think I have now done both sides with the same threading tool which is part of my on board tool kit.

I have recently been thinking I will add a small touch of Anti Seize. Good stuff. I just never bothered before.
Same stuff I have been using for about... ah hell, a long time.

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:12 AM   #27
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,754
Not antiseize, but, when in trouble removing the part as in Post #1, I have had good luck with KROIL and the BlueWrench (use your propane torch to heat up the aluminum head, which expands more than the steel... AFTER a good soaking of KROIL)

...ymmv, imho, all the standard disclaimers are summoned......

Old 01-20-2013, 11:53 AM   #28
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Seida View Post
Thats really interesting . Thanks for the link.
An Antiseize Thread is a subcorollary of the dreaded Oil, Tyre or Battery thread. :(

I've never seen a sparkplug thread break from overtorquing when using antiseize, but I've seen many stripped aluminum threads from NOT using it.

Your call. :)

--Bill
Old 01-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #29
Ron Seida OP
Adventman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
An Antiseize Thread is a subcorollary of the dreaded Oil, Tyre or Battery thread. :(

I've never seen a sparkplug thread break from overtorquing when using antiseize, but I've seen many stripped aluminum threads from NOT using it.

Your call. :)

--Bill
I have to agree Bill, i've never seen a broken plug like the one shown... ever! I think you would need to be a ham-fisted hooligan to do that kind of damage .
D. Irwin...
Old 01-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #30
Ron Seida OP
Adventman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm View Post
Not antiseize, but, when in trouble removing the part as in Post #1, I have had good luck with KROIL and the BlueWrench (use your propane torch to heat up the aluminum head, which expands more than the steel... AFTER a good soaking of KROIL)

...ymmv, imho, all the standard disclaimers are summoned......

In all cases of aluminum i would agree, except this one. If you look closely, you can see there is a steel threaded insert pressed into the aluminum. If i were to heat up the head, i would only expand the head more than the insert, increasing the chance of spinning it out of its hole. In fact, i did the opposite, and left the head outside in the winter cold before torquing out the spark plug.
D. Irwin...