ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #1
MurphCO OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Denver PADI/ Scuba certification?

Anyone here in the area have any experience with local places to get scuba/PADI certified?

Good bad and ugly?
Old 01-18-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
amazed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
PADI Certification

I highly recommend A-1 Scuba. Located on Bellview Near Sante Fe:
amazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:42 PM   #3
amazed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
PADI Certification

I highly recommend A-1 Scuba. Located on Bellview near Sante Fe: Littleton
amazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:53 PM   #4
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 2,966
I didn't get that. Try again, who would you recommend?
Old 01-19-2013, 07:37 AM   #5
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,207
PADI in Denver in the winter? Ugh... gotta finish up in that cold, black hole in New Mexico

Might as well just spend a bit more, fly down to Cancun/Cozumel and do it up right.
A Few Past Bikes
: 2003 Suzuki DRZ400E | 2012 BMW K13S | 2009 KTM 990 Adventure

Narsisco Lopez screwed with this post 01-19-2013 at 08:07 AM
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:55 AM   #6
Patj551
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
A1 scuba is excellent. They have a group trip going to Cozumel in March. You can do classroom & pool in Denver & open water dives in Mexico. It's a great way to get certified & get some experience. That's what I did way back in the 80s. I felt quite comfortable & liked the continuity of doing my first trip with the dive instructor & divemasters that I trained with. Have fun!
Patj551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #7
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patj551 View Post
A1 scuba is excellent. They have a group trip going to Cozumel in March. You can do classroom & pool in Denver & open water dives in Mexico. It's a great way to get certified & get some experience. That's what I did way back in the 80s. I felt quite comfortable & liked the continuity of doing my first trip with the dive instructor & divemasters that I trained with. Have fun!
All good points and if you are at all freaked out about water, then the extra pool work is a good idea. Also, if their group rates to Coz. are a good deal, then go for it. However, IMHO, there are always combo deals to Coz that include airfare, hotel, and PADI. (Keep an eye on LivingSocial/Groupon... TONS of deals there).

Again, only IMHO... no amount of pool work prepares you for that first drop below 5 meters.
A Few Past Bikes
Old 01-19-2013, 08:16 AM   #8
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 2,369
When my brother in law got certified, he had done his classwork/pool session through CSU, but for his birthday we paid for him to do his open water at the Homestead Crater, outside of Heber City, UT. It's a hot springs crater. Not an amazing dive, because it is basically a big shaft, but it is 95 degrees, which wouldn't suck in the winter. Of course, any time down in Mexico, or any other good warm island spot, is always good. I got certified in New Zealand, and it was a fairly crazy experience, but I have progressed quite a bit in a lot of great locations!
Old 01-19-2013, 08:20 AM   #9
MurphCO OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I am also somewhat ignorant of the process......

Is an open water dive necessary to complete the certification?

Are there different levels of certification?

What we were looking at is, we go on a trip somewhere tropical most years and snorkel, but have been wanting to get scuba qualified so we can go deeper and see some cooler stuff, is there some level that gets us that far without an open water dive and going down to the blue hole etc? We were hoping to have it done by next Christmas
Old 01-19-2013, 08:20 AM   #10
Merfman
Trustin' my cape...

Oddometer: 827
I'll offer another vote for A1. We did our Handicapped Diver certification with A1 and they were excellent. Also, I think they have a program that'll allow you to get your cert in a single weekend with the open water dives done at the Denver aquarium. Somehow (I don't understand fully) the aquarium qualifies as open water so a trip to Blue Hole or the Crater isn't really required...
Merfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:55 AM   #11
MurphCO OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merfman View Post
I'll offer another vote for A1. We did our Handicapped Diver certification with A1 and they were excellent. Also, I think they have a program that'll allow you to get your cert in a single weekend with the open water dives done at the Denver aquarium. Somehow (I don't understand fully) the aquarium qualifies as open water so a trip to Blue Hole or the Crater isn't really required...

Perfect!

Thanks!
Old 01-19-2013, 08:57 AM   #12
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,220
Best deal is to do the pool/classroom stuff here in the pool at A-1, then do the final certification dive on a nice trip to the Carribean. You don't want to waste vacation time doing the prerequisits.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:10 AM   #13
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphCO View Post
IWhat we were looking at is, we go on a trip somewhere tropical most years and snorkel, but have been wanting to get scuba qualified so we can go deeper and see some cooler stuff, is there some level that gets us that far without an open water dive and going down to the blue hole etc? We were hoping to have it done by next Christmas
You can do shore/reef dives without your PADI... this is how I did my first few dives: fun and pretty low-commitment. If you really get into it (like I did), you can always follow-up with a PADI. It's totally doable (and safe and affordable) to do your PADI while on vacation in Cancun/Cozumel (or any other destination dive spot on the planet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
Best deal is to do the pool/classroom stuff here in the pool at A-1, then do the final certification dive on a nice trip to the Carribean. You don't want to waste vacation time doing the prerequisits.
The "prerequisites" for a non-PADI reef dive are pretty minimal... about 20 minutes in the pool. I'm notoriously cheap, so I didn't see the point in spending a lot of money on classes here when I wasn't sure if I was even gonna like it (many, many people freak out in open water and can't handle the drop past 5 meters). Doing a non-PADI dive with a qualified dive master is a great way to see if you're gonna really like the sport before making the financial commitment.
A Few Past Bikes

Narsisco Lopez screwed with this post 01-19-2013 at 09:17 AM
Old 01-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #14
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 9,367
in2dabluz (Storm) works at A-1 Scuba- look him up & tell him you're an inmate-

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:24 AM   #15
Patj551
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
[QUOTE=MurphCO;20524868]I am also somewhat ignorant of the process......

Is an open water dive necessary to complete the certification?

Are there different levels of certification?

Yes, there are different levels of certification. "Basic Open Water" certification is the lowest level. You will take classroom training where you'll learn basic diving principles and safety. You'll learn about dive tables, atmospheric pressure changes, buoyancy control principles, etc. Don't get freaked out over the dive tables- you need to know the principles but anymore, dive computers are accurate & inexpensive. Still not a bad idea to know how to do this in case the computer fails or you forget it.

You will also spend time in the pool where you will apply some of that book knowledge and learn to do things like clear your mask, buoyancy control, safety techniques like sweeping for your backup regulator, safe descents/ascents, etc.

You can take your classroom & pool training at any PADI certified facility, but to complete your certification, you must complete several "open water" dives with an instructor where you demonstrate your skills. Once you are open water certified you are certified for recreational diving the rest of your life. If you choose, you can obtain other specialty cents,like advanced, deep, wreck, rescue, cave, underwater photography, etc.

If you're not sure if you want to invest all thE time and $ (joke is PADI stands for Put Another Dollar In) to get certified, many large resort offer a "discover scuba experience" where you get a quick intro & get to do a supervised dive with a dive professional.

Diving is WAY FUN. Wit a little training it is safe. But, like a lot of things, something ample can turn dangerous quickly. That's why I really liked doing my classroom & pool training with one company & then taking a guided trip them for my open waters. There's a lot to learn & having someone who knows the ropes made it more,relaxing & fun for me.

Good luck!
Patj551 is offline   Reply With Quote