User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 12:47 AM   #1
El Saguaro OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Dustbin Racing Fairing Vintage

Does anyone know where I can get one of these fairings?
I've been doing google searches and the closest I found was one from AirTech http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/...ngsdustbin.htm But it still looks somewhat different.

The most information I could find on this bike and its fairing, is that it is a R75/5 called ‘The DustBeemer’. It's been lowered at both front and rear, and equipped with a big ‘gran turismo’ dustbin fairing. It also has Wixom Ranger fiberglass saddlebags. Anyway if anyone know where one could buy one of these fairings I would appreciate it. Thanks.

tumblr_maefemeVQK1qgomj2o1_500 by kert4, on Flickr[/IMG]
El Saguaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:56 AM   #2
El Saguaro OP
Adventurer

Can't post pictures

I tried posting pictures using The HTML link and the regular link from Flickr but I couldn't get it to work.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:21 AM   #3
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,892
Those fairings have a very large side area, be very careful riding in crosswinds! They were banned in racing in the 1950s because of safety issues.

All that looks bling may not work well in the real world.
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:29 AM   #4
isdt BMW
willserv@aol.com

Oddometer: 236
dustbin fairing

I also have no way to post photos, I have a Stewart dustbin on a 65 R-69-S, and have ridden it for 20 years with no sidewind problems. My fairing was made in western Pa. USA. The photo you showed is an UK produced fairing, I have seen them on an A-10 BSA. A photo of mine is on Rockerboxer.com or Caferacer.net. or I could email a photo of mine.
isdt BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:05 AM   #5
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,993
For images use the [img][/img] tags linled to another hosting site.

There is a thread on image posting down in "Ask Baldy, blame Ralph", the local Support Forum.

--Bill
Old 01-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #6
ed mocz
Bristol WI

Oddometer: 198
Here ya go: http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/...ngsdustbin.htm
Old 01-19-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by isdt BMW View Post
I also have no way to post photos, I have a Stewart dustbin on a 65 R-69-S, and have ridden it for 20 years with no sidewind problems. My fairing was made in western Pa. USA. The photo you showed is an UK produced fairing, I have seen them on an A-10 BSA. A photo of mine is on Rockerboxer.com or Caferacer.net. or I could email a photo of mine.
I have no interest in fairings other than dustbin setups. Your experience with a dustbin doesn't surprise me since the FIM really outlawed them for reasons other than the fairings not coping with 'cross winds'.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #8
hwy61
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
Old 01-19-2013, 01:26 PM   #9
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 3,061
Sexy!!!
Big Bamboo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #10
El Saguaro OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdt BMW View Post
Thanks for replying. It's good to hear from someone that has used one of these. Are there any other issues to consider? Any steering issues? How difficult is it to install?

I'm assuming this must be yours:

I like it.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #11
El Saguaro OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed mocz View Post

Thanks! I saw that. It is almost the same. The one on the Dustbeemer seems to curve inward at the air inlets and the wind shield opening seems extend lower. It's nice though. might have to do, if I can't find the one on the Dustbeemer.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #12
isdt BMW
willserv@aol.com

Oddometer: 236
dustbin

The 69-s with the grey fairing and nose art is mine, steering lock is reduced with fairing, not noticeable while riding, now have vented front brake with scoops. made mounts myself, easy to make. fun to ride.
isdt BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:56 AM   #13
hwy61
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
Sebastien Lorenz, the marketing manager for BMW Motorrad France, also makes an appearance in the film on his one-off custom R 75/5 called ‘The DustBeemer’.

Give him a call...

Link to film here...

http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/i...1914&notrack=1
Old 01-20-2013, 03:57 AM   #14
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,892
From Vizor down:

http://www.visordown.com/forum/gener.../199257-2.html

:chtum wrote
A dustbin moves the centre of pressure forwards, relative to the centre of gravity. Scarey......
Either you've been paying attention to my FF drivel on here over the years or you've been read the same books on aircraft aerodynamics as I have.

Spot on - the c of p needs to behind the c of g or the bike ends up being steered by crosswinds/turbulence/vehicle 'wake'. This is compounded on motorised bicycles as you are also blown about and you are holding onto the steering to stay aboard.

Not ideal.

It's worth remembering that the reason for bodywork is rider protection.

Getting a good cockpit environment absolutely requires a tail section and a powerful supply of air into the cockpit to balance the external airflow. The 'tail section' can literally be a rider profile shaped plank, it's more important for cockpit quality that it's air proof than anything else. It's your rear pressure bulkhead.

But mainly it's crucial that super efficient 'laminar-flow' shapes are less efficient in turbulent air than non laminar flow shapes. And also note that you are not building/riding an aeroplane. It must not fly, it must not react to turbulent airflow or side winds.

All this implies that a shape that causes flow separation, close to the front of the vehicle, will be more stable and faster in turbulent air, than a 'perfect' shape.

Experiments with FF's and study of other modern vehicles, confirm this is the case. Balancing the nose with a tail, ensuring there is more side area behind the centre of pressure then in front, will give basic stability, but there is no major aerodynamic point in perfecting the detailed shape. Fabricated GRP bodywork, with it's natural sharply radiussed corners, is ideal for providing early flow separation.

There's a trade-off between low drag, stability ("Indifference") and lift. It's also necessary to design for the correct environment. In still air laminar flow vehicles will win at low speed, and fly at high speed. In turbulent air they'll be slower, higher drag and less stable, than 'early separation' shapes. Like cars (and Voyagers) use.

Royce's Voyager was quite unstable at the outset and has been carrying increasingly tatty flow separators on it's nose for some years, simply rubber tube taped on the bodywork - these transform the frontal airflow, improving cockpit environment and reducing turbulent buffeting. He is now making a new nose - but don't expect it to be any more 'attractive'!

Vehicle aerodynamics were a black art until the late seventies. OK, by the sixties they'd worked out how to make them slippery, and in the early seventies they'd sussed holding them down with actual wings, but it took a few more years to get vehicles that were slippery, stable and stayed on the ground. (Remember the Ford Sierra?)

The 250 NSU Hammock took off in the course of the 1956 record breaking session - at over 250 mph - and ended up rolling for some distance. There's a picture of the slightly battered wreckage, with happy looking survivor standing by it somewhere on the 'net but I can't find it. Motorcycle aerodynamics came to a standstill with the FIM ban. But not FF aerodynamics.

This is worth a read - I like the end - "A final rule of aerodynamics. Anyone who says they understand vehicle aerodynamics doesn't understand vehicle aerodynamics."

Read more: http://www.visordown.com/forum/gener...#ixzz2IW3ShfaE

I also refer to Wikipedia for the reasons for the Ban. This wiki does give a reference on the FIM issue.

" Dustbin fairing: A single-piece, streamlined shell covering the front half of a motorcycle resembling the nose of an aircraft, sometimes referred to as torpedo fairing. It dramatically reduced the frontal drag, but it was banned by Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme (FIM) from racing in 1958, because it was thought that the frontal point of wind pressure made them highly unstable even with small amounts of yaw.[5] Other reasons cited for the ban were to ensure adequate steering range (lock-to-lock) and stability against crosswinds. FIM regulations forbid streamlining beyond the wheel spindles and require the rider's arms and legs to be visible from the side.[5]" John Robinson, "Motorcycle Tuning: Chassis", ISBN 0-7506-1840-X, p.132)

http://club.motoczysz.com/?p=453
Another interesting Blog on the subject I did not realise that this was a live issue of discussion.

I will admit that I have never ridden a bike with a dustbin fairing fitted, but I have ridden BMWs with both RT and a Rickman copy of a Windjammer. I did not enjoy riding those bikes on Motorways in crosswind conditions, especially when overtaking large semi trailers.

These people make them.....http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/...ngsdustbin.htm
1971 Commando Fastback

chasbmw screwed with this post 01-20-2013 at 04:16 AM
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #15
El Saguaro OP
Adventurer

Good information

Thanks for the info chasbmw