User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 11:15 AM   #1
Virtual Farmer OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Computer recognition of BMW Factory Alarm

Well folks I think I need help from the collective pool of Wisdom. I have a 2011 GS that I bought new from a dealer here in the West, and over the holidays my wife purchased a BMW factory alarm for me as a gift. During said transaction, my wife was told that I would need to bring the bike in for installation and to have the shop change some electronic settings so the bike would recognize the new alarm. Being pretty good with mechanical and electical things I installed the alarm module myself which entailed removing five screws on the rear cover, installing the device in the factory location with the three new screws (provided), and plugging the harness connector in to the module. All said, about 15 min worth of work - which probably saved me $80-100 in dealer work.
Now I need the bike to recognize said alarm system. I trolled several threads on this subject in the ADV archives, but most of those were circa 2005/2006 and all insisted that only a dealer could perform the necessary electronic procedures. I'm hoping some smart person on this forum is familiar with, and willing to share such procedures if indeed it really can be done without any special BMW proprietary equipment. My hope is that it's a series of button pushes and key on/off toggles but need some help.
Thanks in advance
Old 02-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,258
Some interesting (maybe irrelevant???) info:

http://f800riders.org/forum/showthre...-Factory-Alarm
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #3
Virtual Farmer OP
Adventurer

Wink

Thanks LPOL, I read that thread when I was doing my research but it was one of the many that said a dealer must do that work. What I'm interested in is, what does the dealer actually do? To they have special equipment or is this simply a super secret sequence of buttons/toggles. I would love to hear from someone who worked at a dealership to get some insight.

BTW I see you're in Denver. I'm going to send you a PM and maybe we can meet some time. Probably seen you on the road and just didn't realize it
Old 02-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #4
crash a-ron
mmm...burnt steel

Oddometer: 317
Sorry to say, but I do not know of a way for you to get the alarm to work yourself. It will require a dealer to hook it up to the BMW diagnostic computer. This is not a process of key on-key off-high beam trigger-jump on left foot 3 times etc.

The dealership computer system has to let the bikes computer know a new component has been installed and possibly install some software too. No secret handshake needed!
1995 VMC sidecarcross rig
Seattle, Washington
crash a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
Dakarider
INBMWR & WSBMWR Member

Oddometer: 116
agreed with above post. Had one on my 20o5 pulled it to put it on my 08 and the process was the same. You can hook it up but theyare going to need to program the bike at the shop to get it to work.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
Virtual Farmer OP
Adventurer

Thanks guys. I had that suspicion but was hoping someone found a way around it. I assume this is 15 min deal and not a several hour ordeal? If it's the former perhaps I can coax a friendly mechanic to do it for less than the hourly rate the dealers apply. We'll see. Thanks again for the insight.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #7
Marki_GSA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Dealer with the BMW kit I am afraid. Its like loading software onto a computer but you need the password to do it which only the diagnostic unit has. It is only a 10 min job though and maybe the dealer who sold the alarm would give a discount?
Marki_GSA is online now   Reply With Quote