Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 08:39 AM   #46
Jeathrow Bowdean
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Lets see. Good on gravel, but better on pavement. I think (<400#) means 400 lbs and down. Riding 2 up once and a while, and the ability to ride 300 mile days once and a while, and on week long trips onces and a while and a 6 speed trany, well keeping the price under $5000 or less.

It looks like it is Vespra time !!!. Just pretend it has a 6 speed, and never touch the carb so you will think it is EFI.

From Jeathrow Bowdean

Jeathrow Bowdean screwed with this post 01-23-2013 at 04:56 PM
Jeathrow Bowdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #47
roostar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
There is no perfect bike. They are all a compromise in one way or another.
roostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:37 PM   #48
SRG OP
SRG

Oddometer: 1,213
JB - I didn't want to let to let your post go unacknowledged. Thanks for the effort/interest.

I'm not sure how I should clarify though. I want a midsize adventurebike that's gravel road capable, nice on pavement and OK for occasional 2 up. 3 features I would like are fuel injection, 6 speeds and closer to 400# than 500#.

Seems to me a 620 Mulitstrada actually does all those things. It's weakest points (for my use) are the gravel worthiness, suspension and 2 up ability/comfort. Folks in this thread have said that gravel road performance is better than I thought and can be improved. It's also been noted that the suspension can be made better/good and it's 2 up shortcomings I can live with (different seat maybe?). The fact that nice 620MS's are available for $4k is a big plus.

The next 3 best choices (IMO) for me would be the 1000 Multistrada, Cagiva Gran Canyon and the Buell Ulysses. All of these are a little bigger/faster/more street biased than I'm after - I like light/nimble over size and power - to a point, but I don't need/want 100hp (yes, I've ridden a KTM950 and it's great bike/huge fun, I just don't want one, or something that's similar in terms of size and power. That's just my personal preference).

I don't know if all that helped at all, but if you have any more input/suggestions you'd like to make, I'm all ears.

JB - Looks like you edited your post while I was typing. If you thought it might have bothered me somehow or said to much - no worries - tell me what you think.

SRG screwed with this post 01-23-2013 at 05:42 PM
SRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:19 PM   #49
Jeathrow Bowdean
Gnarly Adventurer

I think your on to something with the bikes that you are looking at SRG, and I'm sure that you will find what your looking for, I was in the same boat last year, so I add up what I needed to make things happpen, then I went out and bought two brand new units to fix the situation. I bought one Adventure bike for my 80% hyw and 20% gravel roads with 50/50 tires to help it do the all round that I need it to do.

From Jeathrow Bowdean.

Jeathrow Bowdean screwed with this post 02-01-2013 at 12:18 AM
Old 01-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #50
wizz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,559
I think by your description the 620 would fit the bill nicely. Mine has sargeant seat, hard luggage, skid plate, g2 throttle tamer ( a must), heated grips, storm hand gaurds, piaa lights, ak20 fork kit and penske shock. Used ones are definaty available under 5k, especially the dark (mine is not). You might be happy with the stock suspension after you ride one and skip that upgrade. All the other is standard farklization. Its a great all around midweight, and I take mine on all kinds of mixed terrain in norcal. Or keep an eye out for a ktm 690. FI and blows away the other 600 thumpers performance wise. Deals are out there if youre vigilant.
wizz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:43 PM   #51
SRG OP
SRG

JB - Once again thanks for the input. I had a 600XL back in the day. Not going back there. I don't really see a thumper being right for what I'm after here. What is your 80/20 bike?

wizz - I think you and I see eye to eye. Ever heard of a way to fit a 19" front wheel to a MS?
Old 01-23-2013, 10:19 PM   #52
wizz
Beastly Adventurer

If you pm your e-mail I'll send you a sweet pick of a mutley done up by Blaine at Overland Motorcycles (terramostro.com). It has spoke wheels and other bits. He would be the man to talk to about a 19" front, it certainly can be done.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #53
Bama
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Which one??

All you have mentioned have pros and cons so...............buy my XR600 and build a sumo
Bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:40 PM   #54
thesurvivalist
Backcountry Rider

Oddometer: 549
I just bought an 08 ulysses for 6k it has 14k miles. It is an awesome bike. Super comfy. Tons of tractable power. It throws no sudden suprises. My wife sat on the back of it today and is still in awe. It currently has pure road tires currently but once they wear out im looking at dunlop d616, tkc80 or kendas. It has so much character and great features. My biggest concern is dropping the bike off roading. I would hate myself for denting the frame. It comes with pucks already on but im going to add gripster pads to add more side protection. The fuel tank frame is made by brembo, outer rim brake rotor, oil in the swing arm, the triple tail, x2 power sockets.

For the same price I could have got a new klr. I highly doubt the klr would bring as much satisfaction.
thesurvivalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:07 PM   #55
wizz
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeathrow Bowdean View Post
Ducati Mulitstrada 620cc motorcycle is 450 lbs with about 40hp new, and 40 ft-lbs torque. They come with a 3.2 US gallon fuel tank at 40 to 45 mpg average range. The 1000cc unit comes with 66.7 hp new, but it is much heaver then the 620 unit.

The fellows on the Ducati forum don't like the single front brake disk, or the soft front forks, and a after market skid plate is a must because of the low slung pipe, if you plan on going off the highway. All the specs are close to my jap unit.

Good luck on your quest SRG. You might be on to something if you can find the price you are looking for.

From Flash Gordon
Not sure where you get your info, but the 620 has 63 bhp and 41 ft-lbs of torque and weighs in at just over 400lbs and the 1000 is 440lbs. The 1000 had 92hp and the 1100 95hp. The tank is actually the same as the 1000 with different venting. 3.9 gallons, another gallon (20litres total) if you ride a mile (to burp it) and top it off, or figure out the venting as some have done. The single front brake disk is on the dark only, and 45-50mpg is more typical in fairly spirited riding. 160-200 miles on a tank is common, 250 with the venting or burping. Forks have been discussed and if they are insufficient there are options for improving them. No offense but the xr650l (I had an r) and the dr650 are not in the same ballpark, thats not to say they aren't fine bikes.

wizz screwed with this post 01-24-2013 at 10:59 PM
Old 01-25-2013, 06:21 AM   #56
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattewell View Post
Not far off, however with the OP looking at bikes like the Quota, the @ is probably along his quirky lines of inquiry... that and they're rare as hens teeth in "merika".
You see them now and again, but like most Guzzi owners, they never sell anything.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:02 AM   #57
SRG OP
SRG

I like the Ulysses too. Only a little more weight (30#?) than the Multistrsda 620 and a bunch more power. Having a Harley based motor would be a trip after all my years of dissing them. I sure as hell would like to ride one to see what they are like.

O, look there's one for sale here too - and under budget.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=858163

Another example of a fine bike that's up my alley for under $5K. I don't understand the non-believers.

Edit - O, lookie here's another.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=858110

SRG screwed with this post 01-25-2013 at 08:32 AM
SRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:04 AM   #58
Jeathrow Bowdean
Gnarly Adventurer

Oh, I thought the horse power on the the 620 was 40 hp. Hummmm, I go back and look again. I look up the BHP and the rear wheel hp, and I bet I'm pretty close I see that we agree on the tourqe thing, so some thing is not adding if we have the same in that catagory.

From Jeathrow Bowdean

Jeathrow Bowdean screwed with this post 02-01-2013 at 12:21 AM
Old 01-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #59
wizz
Beastly Adventurer

dry weight is 183 kg (app 404lbs) so 450 wet is probably the max it would weigh. 6600 rpms is middle of the power band, 6750 is max torque, peak is 9500 which is 61 hp for the dark, 63 for the regular, minus 8% is 56/58 respectively. so 40 is plain wrong, my xrr put out almost 40 uncorked but not in the middle of the powerband. i agree the 620 is an entry level bike, not meant to be a powerhouse but it has good power across the powerband certainly more than my big red pig. the gas tanks are the same. no matter, get a klr
Old 01-25-2013, 04:31 PM   #60
Jeathrow Bowdean
Gnarly Adventurer

Big 10-4. I was off on the horse power and torqre, and weight on the Ducati Multistrad 620 dark 2005.

it is 402 lbs with all fluids. The hp is 63-65 hp @ 9500 rpm and 57 Nm or 5.7 kgm @ 6750 rpm.

It took me a while to find what I was looking for, and now I can apolajize for my mistake of not looking up the right info.

Sorry to you wiss and SRG for getting my program on my facts mixed up.

From Jeathrow Bowdean. PS: I will definatly watch what I put next time.

Jeathrow Bowdean screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 03:57 PM