Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 09:41 AM   #1
Sideoff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Northern Michoacan Advice??

Hi all -

Anyone available to provide some road & safety advice on northern michoacan by telephone today? I'm in zacatecas and planning my route to Guatemala. It's Saturday jan 19th, i'm leaving Zacatecas tomorrow morning. Some local Mexico city riders said to stay only on the main roads in northern michoacan for safety reasons, which does not sound very fun.

Pm me your number and I'll call!! Thanks!!

Pete
Sideoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
Sideoff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Basically I'm trying to find an interesting route on small fun roads that cuts south of Mexico city that gets me to Oaxaca. Doesnt matter if it's dirt or paved, just interesting. Here's what I was thinking:

- I see there are some smal roads that go southeast from uruapan and patzcuaro toward huetamo and ciudad altamarino. Some paved some not. These look enticing??

- Then from there to iguala on main road 61 I guess

- iguala to Chilpancingo

- Chilpancingo to Oaxaca on all small roads

Anyone got an opinion on that route? Advice?

Thanks!!!
Old 01-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideoff View Post
Basically I'm trying to find an interesting route on small fun roads that cuts south of Mexico city that gets me to Oaxaca. Doesnt matter if it's dirt or paved, just interesting. Here's what I was thinking:

- I see there are some smal roads that go southeast from uruapan and patzcuaro toward huetamo and ciudad altamarino. Some paved some not. These look enticing??
I'd suggest looking at a map first. Uruapan is the opposite direction from DF as Oaxaca and definitely not to the south either. Michoacan is in no way "on the way" from DF to Oaxaca.

Geography aside, the Uruapan/Apatzingan area is also not the first place I'd recommend exploring remote areas solo. I'd take the advice you already have. Michoacan is not the safest part of Mexico.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 01-19-2013 at 10:58 AM
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,304
Was just in Michoacán last week. Muy tranquilo.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:03 AM   #5
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Geography aside, the Uruapan/Apatzingan area is also not the first place I'd recommend exploring remote areas solo. I'd take the advice you already have. Michoacan is not the safest part of Mexico.
Stayed overnight in Apatzingán. Muy tranquilo.

Uruapan was lovely, as always.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:10 AM   #6
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Stayed overnight in Apatzingán. Muy tranquilo.

Uruapan was lovely, as always.
Yeah, they're both nice towns, but I probably wouldn't go riding down just any dirt road in that area just because it's on a map. I'd stick to the better traveled roads in that area. It's the world capital of meth production along with eastern Jalisco.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:31 AM   #7
Sideoff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Awesome, thanks for the input guys. On my map, Uruapan looks to be on a pretty linear southern route around Mexico city from where I am now in Zacatecas. What does DF stand for?

Do you guys happen to know anything about the road from patzcuaro to huetamo? Can't tell if that would qualify as a main road or not. Looks paved on my guia roji. This road goes through yoricostio, las pilas, and erendira. Thanks!!!
Old 01-19-2013, 11:47 AM   #8
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideoff View Post
Awesome, thanks for the input guys. On my map, Uruapan looks to be on a pretty linear southern route around Mexico city from where I am now in Zacatecas. What does DF stand for?

Do you guys happen to know anything about the road from patzcuaro to huetamo? Can't tell if that would qualify as a main road or not. Looks paved on my guia roji. This road goes through yoricostio, las pilas, and erendira. Thanks!!!
Oh AROUND Mexico City. I understood that you want a route FROM Mexico City to Oaxaca by way of Uruapan. That's why I was a little confused. By the way, DF = Distrito Federal = Mexico City. It's what most Mexicans call Mexico City. "Day Effay"

I've never been down that specific road, but yeah, it looks paved. Go for it. Looks nice and twisty.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #9
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
It's the world capital of meth production
That's Detroit
Old 01-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #10
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

While in the Uruapan area do not miss the Tzararacua Falls, Paricutin, or the towns of Pátzcuaro and Santa Clara de Cobre.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #11
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,701
Patzcuaro is great, make sure you do the boat ride out to Isla de Janitzio on Lago Patzcuaro.

My memory is a little fuzzy here but I believe this is a dirt road that took me to Tacambaro that will ultimately hook you up with the main road to Huetamo. I don't have my gps tracks in front of me so I'm going off google earth. I'm pretty sure this is the route. Beautiful riding everywhere you go in this area, Michoacan does not suck.

Taxco is worth a visit too if you're heading to Oaxaca.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #12
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
For backroad opportunities, www.maps-of-mexico.com offers some routes. While not always super accurate and up-to-date, I've found it very useful.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:57 PM   #13
Sideoff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Awesome. Thanks again guys! Hey misery goat I met you in I think it was northeast Argentina a few years ago. We hung out with loic from France. Pretty sure it was Argentina. I was on a honda 650. Thanks for the advice!
Old 01-20-2013, 12:02 AM   #14
Sideoff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I see the road you're talking about from tacambaro. That's the one I was originally looking at actually but rerouted to the pavement in the interest in staying on main roads. That photo looks sweet though. Maybe I'll just make the call when I get to the intersection.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:04 AM   #15
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,366
Thumb

Just spent a few weeks all over Michoacan last November, great riding, good people,delicious food and no problems at all .

Don't miss the carnitas in Quiroga , the best of the world