Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 06:32 AM   #1
Houndguy OP
super noob!!!

Oddometer: 49
Question Is your ride your main means of transport?

The other day the girlfriend asked me to run up to the story for her and get a few things. So without thinking I jumped on the bike and off I went. The problem was I didn't think it through and what I bought was not all going to fit on the bike. http://2smallerwheels.blogspot.com/2...d-idea-at.html

It did bring up an interesting question. How many of us use our bikes as our main transportation? I mean, do you ride it more than 50% of the time going to work? To school? The store? On dates?

I know mine is.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:57 AM   #2
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 753
Depends on what you mean. SEASONALLY...it is.

But the riding season here is short...three months and under. Rest of the time, I'm in the cage. Last year, the first snow came second week of October (didn't stick, of course) and our last heavy snowfall came the first week of May. Gotta love it...

So...between the cold of fall; and salt on the road in the spring...the riding season is basically June-September.

As for the carrying capacity: I have a Burgman, so that's never an issue.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:29 AM   #3
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,263
BV250/C70 Passport/and a single road-cross-touring bicycle. Nothing else. Passport can carry two full grocery bags. BV250 three (one in top box, two in a large sack between the legs). also has a soft sided luggage for tours. I can carry a whole load of clothes and camping gear on the bicycle. I have not owned a car/truck since 1990. The BV250 makes most things so easy; local trips, or long distance, too. I find my small home manages to stay less cluttered too, I suppose that may have to do with no impulse buys while out on the scooter. I have two spare different sized helmets and jackets/ gloves for guest a pillion.
chazbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:13 AM   #4
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,587
I have a truck for hauling stuff. Usually if I go somewhere with my wife we take her car. Most of the time however, unless the weather is really bad, I ride. I ride to work almost every day except middle of winter when I still ride over half the time. Most of my shopping is done with the scooter. My truck often has cobwebs from sitting long periods of time.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #5
JDHolveck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Now that I've got my 150 back up and running, I'm using it for my main transport. Since I'm in Las Vegas, the riding season is pretty much year round. The only time I might have an issue is during the spring when the winds can gust up to 60mph at times. That can get hairy.
JDHolveck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #6
GaryinVT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Yup! I'm using my Yamaha Vino 125 for 95% of my transportation this summer. I gave my Accord to my 21 yr old daughter for the summer. I've only taken it back for a couple large Costco runs. And it has rained every day here in Vermont since late May. It would be impossible without rain gear. It's been fantastic.
GaryinVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
k3ith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
I'm going to agree with seasonally. In Cleveland the snow starts in Nov and is off and on till April, so as far as commuting I probably ride the scooter about 50-60% of the time then (take the bus the rest) and over the warmer months I probably take one of the bikes more than 90% of the time. I generally only find another ride if the snow is sticking to the road, the rain is freezing on contact, the wind is above 30mph, or the temp drops below 15 (though I'll admit to wimping out of riding in cold rain a few times.) I haven't owned a car in about 5 years, but occasionally take my wife's on the weekend.
k3ith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #8
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 682
I've been riding daily, year-round, since 1989 on many different motorcycles and scooters (currently a BMW C650GT). Rode 675 miles to New Orleans last Sunday in monsoon conditions most of the way. Even the best rain gear has its limits but I didn't care. That's just part of riding. Now if I had been driving my wife's car and it leaked on me for the last 100 miles I would have been seriously ticked off. It's a whole different perspective on 2 wheels.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #9
longhaul747
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
I ride as much as I can for as long as I can and I have bikes just for poor weather riding. I used to be pretty Gung Ho and road in anything but as I have aged I am a bit more of a wimp then I used to be. If its 36F and dumping hard plus dark out I tend to drive more then in the past. Sometimes out of pure laziness I just end up driving at times when I could have ridden the bike. Often the weather is so unpredictable I just don't want the stress or worrying about it. If any chance of it dipping below freezing I pass on riding. We can get a lot of rim ice on the roads even if its been dry for a while because of the humidity.

However this time of year I ride pretty religiously. I actually hook my car up to the battery tender and add fuel stabilizer to it. If I have to carry a lot of stuff or people I take the car but other then that I ride. Maybe on the rare occasions we are getting 2 inches of rain in an hour and its thundering and hailing outside (a bit more common in the spring) I will choose to drive but it will get have to get pretty bad before I head out. If I am already out I just tough it out.
longhaul747 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #10
SamRus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Yep, my bike is my main means of transportation.
My wife has a car, and if we are going somewhere together, we usually drive.
But 99% of my commuting, errands, etc., I do ride the bike.

SamRus screwed with this post 07-11-2013 at 08:07 AM
SamRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #11
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndguy View Post
The other day the girlfriend asked me to run up to the story for her and get a few things. So without thinking I jumped on the bike and off I went. The problem was I didn't think it through and what I bought was not all going to fit on the bike. [url]http://2smallerwheels.blogspot.com/2013/07/well-it-seemed-like-good-idea-at.html[/url
Carry a bungie cord that you can use to hold the box closed when you fill it like that. Also, you might want to get a bigger case. 40L plus is usually what you will need if you go to the store.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #12
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndguy View Post
The other day the girlfriend asked me to run up to the story for her and get a few things. So without thinking I jumped on the bike and off I went. The problem was I didn't think it through and what I bought was not all going to fit on the bike. http://2smallerwheels.blogspot.com/2...d-idea-at.html
I always carry a bungee net under the seat. Between the top case, floorboards and the back of the seat, I can carry a lot of stuff.

Here's the bungee net in action:

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #13
klx250sfguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
You'd think that where I am, in Newfoundland, that the season is short. Nope. I take my bikes out in April, my Miata too, and put everything back in November. Even though I have three kids, I commute a lot on my C70 and Ruckus. If I have to drop the kids off to school, I do that then pop home to switch the Camry or Sienna for something more fun. Works for me.

I use this for running to the grocery store quite a bit, amazing how much will go under the seat. Bungee cords keep it all secure.

This little bad boy is good for grocery runs too, though I've since removed the basket. Knap sack on my back, bungee cords for strapping stuff to the rear rack.

My kids love being carted around in this. That's one of my daughters (she's a bit wacky, can ya tell?) She'll be driving this (and riding scooters) with me next year.

We like to camp. When we do, like tomorrow, this is how we ride. Most of the time the Sienna sits parked in the driveway.

klx250sfguy screwed with this post 07-10-2013 at 12:29 PM
klx250sfguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #14
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,117
I bicycle and scooter solely as transport. Shit city for it and the lust for more friendly territory in this respect haunts me daily.

Come to think of it, it has been a few years since I have owned a car. Very tempting to get one lately. The girlfriend doesn't like my two wheeled transports.

I just can't fathom getting less than 40mpg.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #15
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,523
Like CaseyJones, I'm seasonal as well. Although, I'm a bit further south (Chicago-land). I usually ride from mid-March to early December. I have enough cold weather gear to keep me warm down to ~20 F (as long as the roads are dry). From December thru early March, I'm in my diesel Beetle.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote