Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #1
Beater OP
Theory Is Not Enough

Oddometer: 3,008
Strange Issue #79: Loss of Oil Pressure when on Side Stand.

The title pretty much sums it up. I haven't done anything to it yet ... except freak out.

It's the Dobber. '85 R80 (now 100). Nothing modded to the oil delivery system. Oil at 1/2 full. 20K miles on the clock. Start up on center stand, oil light and charging light on at ignition. Start button, engine starts immediately with 1/2 choke. Runs for 15 seconds or so, choke off idles immediately. Charging light flickering (normal) and oil light off.

I back the bike out of the garage, then I get off the bike to close the garage door, and put the bike on side stand. Close door, return to see oil light on. Turn off bike immediately. Freak out.

After a moment, I sit on bike, start bike, oil light is off at idle. Bike behaves properly. Let it run for 20 seconds ... take quick lap around neighborhood ... Everything is normal. Run to friends house (1.5 miles away) pull in driveway, put bike on side stand, oil light comes on. Turn it off immediately. Freak out.

I get off bike, scratch head. Curse. Go inside friends house. I have beer. We talk bikes (and oil light). His wife is most annoyed.

After 20 minutes, go outside sit on bike, right it, turn on bike, oil light off. Go back home, pull in driveway, idle bike for 10 seconds, watch oil light intently as I slowly tilt bike onto side stand ... oil light comes on. Slightly less of a freak out.

1. Has anyone experienced this behavior?
2. Does anyone have an idea what is happening?
3. Anyone know the fix?

Right now, I'm thinking about simply changing the oil filter, and seeing what happens. It simply might be clogged ... with what is a whole other issue.
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,394
I'm glad somebody brought this one up. I've never seen any discussion of this. I've always thought it was a bad idea to idle the engine on the side stand. I think I have done it once or twice when I was not thinking but always chide myself for being lazy. All I have to do is either put the bike on the center stand or turn the bike off. When I look at my bike parked on the side stand I don't think the oil will reach the pick up. So I just think it's not good. When I did it though my oil light did not come on and I know it works.

You see the Harley guys doing this all the time. Does not mean it's a good idea for Airheads.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
robtg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Pull the sump, the oil pickup may have fallen off, it happens.
robtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
Beater OP
Theory Is Not Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtg View Post
Pull the sump, the oil pickup may have fallen off, it happens.
Hummm ... Yes. That would explain the issue. But to counter that one I could fill the oil sump completely up, and it should change the level sufficiently to prove/disprove that.

Now, that's the kind of thoughts I like.

I never let it idle on the side stand longer than 30 seconds or so. Just long enough to close the garage, lock a door, etc. It shouldn't hurt the oil delivery system. However the one thing you should never do is leave it on the side stand for a long time (over 15 minutes). Oil will seep into the pistons and burn upon ignition. This will lead to carbon buildup and valve sticky-ness ... and other severely detrimental and engine killing events.

The Harley guys do it for the rumble. And their engines drain fluids from the cylinders much more efficiently than a boxer styled motor.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,758
Remove the sidestand
Old 01-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #6
robtg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Every time the light comes on, the bearings are being destroyed. I wouldn't spend any time experimenting with oil levels.
robtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #7
pommie john
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,368
On my race bike I have an oil pressure gauge. I have noticed that if the oil level is down to about halfway on the dipstick, the pressure drops during braking.
I'm guessing that there's an oil surge that mimics what you're experiencing.

Just to be sure I would drop the sump and check the pick up hasn't fallen off. If it's OK, fill it half up and see if the problem persists, then fill it right up and see if it goes away.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #8
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,428
check the wires for the oil pressure switch, might be shorting when the bike is leaning over. I know it's a long shot, but at least it's cheap and easy to check.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #9
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommie john View Post
On my race bike I have an oil pressure gauge. I have noticed that if the oil level is down to about halfway on the dipstick, the pressure drops during braking.
I'm guessing that there's an oil surge that mimics what you're experiencing.

Just to be sure I would drop the sump and check the pick up hasn't fallen off. If it's OK, fill it half up and see if the problem persists, then fill it right up and see if it goes away.
I used to race a GSXR1100. All the air/oil cooled GSXR's will lose oil pressure when braking super hard. It was always disconcerting to lose oil pressure at 11'000RPM repeatedly, but never seemed to hurt the longevity of the motors. Still creeped me out every time I looked down, to see the light on though!
Old 01-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #10
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,012
I'll agree, don't idle the engine while on the side stand. Better safe than sorry.

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:50 PM   #11
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
''I get off bike, scratch head. Curse. Go inside friends house. I have beer. We talk bikes (and oil light). His wife is most annoyed'' by beeater

great line
love it

cheers
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #12
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,656
I'll ditto Robtg-- loose (if not fallen off) oil pickup. Drop the oil pan and loctite the pickup bolts. If it's not the pickup, you've eliminated THE probable cause, and the oil pan needsa to be pulled periodically and the swarf inspected, anyway.

--Bill
Old 01-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #13
Beater OP
Theory Is Not Enough

Alright. I think it's good to know I'm not the only one with 'paranoia issues'.

Sumps gettin' dumped.

*sigh*
Old 01-19-2013, 10:10 PM   #14
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,946
Fred, before you do that...I think it's a good idea to check the oil pressure. Hot, it should be above 15psi. For kicks, you could swap out the sender....they have been known to go bad. My oil light has a habit of flickering if there is any moisture around the switch at all.

hardwaregrrl screwed with this post 01-20-2013 at 05:54 AM
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:21 PM   #15
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
Alright. I think it's good to know I'm not the only one with 'paranoia issues'.

Sumps gettin' dumped.

*sigh*
You'll feel all better after the "Dump"

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote