ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 06:24 PM   #1
DuctTape OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Flexx 12 Tall Comparison (PICS)

For those of you wondering about the flexx bars here's an idea of the difference between them and the stock bars on our 990. These are P/N FL-1003_12-31 http://www.fasstco.com/shop/flexx-handlebars-mx

I'm 6' 2" tall with a 32" inseam so you'll know what you're seeing and I also have the BRP/Scotts setup with HDB hand guards and fitment is no problem.

In the following two pics take note of my hand and you'll see no movement and no stress on my forearm from sitting to standing.....feels real good.

Pics Courtesy of the Queen!

One of the things I didn't know was that you can actually shim the Bar ends behind the bushings to raise the bars higher if needed (per their instructions).

Cant wait to test them!
2010 Ducati 1198S

DuctTape screwed with this post 01-19-2013 at 07:03 PM
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:02 PM   #2
DuctTape OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Back together and everything fit. Like all tall bars you have to flip the throttle linkage from the top to the bottom (No Biggie) but other then that everything swapped over from the stock bars including the HDB hand guards with room to spare.

Cheers!
2010 Ducati 1198S
Old 01-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #3
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,590
Good info. You've pretty much set-up what I was considering.

Can you advise what you have wired to the switches/buttons?
Where is the controller for the heated grips?

Looks like you have risers as well on the Scott's mount. If so, is the height about like stock without them or just a bit higher?

Thanks

SCflyer screwed with this post 01-21-2013 at 03:19 PM
SCflyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
DuctTape OP
Gnarly Adventurer

From left to right the switches are for all my heated stuff, grips, jacket, gloves, pants/socks so I can leave the controller in my tank bag and don't have to stop to disconnect/reconnect the clothing as the temps change.

The switches by the throttle control the AUX lighting. Everything is ran by the dispatch 1 controller by Arboreal systems and the following link shows you how I install it. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=14

As for the risers I'm running the BRP Sub-Mount kit WITH Scotts Stabilizer. http://blackdogcw.com/black-dog-shop...dv-detail.html

This setup increases the bar height by 5mm so not much. I added the 1.25" Handlebar Riser Kit for BRP Sub-mount Stabilizer. http://blackdogcw.com/black-dog-shop...er-detail.html and now with the High Flexx bars I'm neutral.
2010 Ducati 1198S
Old 01-21-2013, 06:40 PM   #5
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
That set up is really tall. You aren't going to have much leverage at all sitting down, for tight corners or climbing steep hills. Your arms are almost straight out. Standing up with your legs locked seems a strange way to set your bar height. It's a personal preference though, and if you are comfortable that's what matters.

For reference I am 6' 4" and got a set of Rox 1.75 inch risers mainly to move the bars more forward toward the center of the triple clamp. I put a low Pastrana Pro Taper bar on that has very little pull back. The net gain is probably an inch taller over stock and an inch forward.
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:01 PM   #6
DuctTape OP
Gnarly Adventurer

You may be right and they may be too high. I really wasn't setting them but giving a height idea from a 32" inseam rider at 6'2" tall and the bars mounted with the BRP setup I have.

When I ride it I'll have the ability to tweak them by rotating the bars, removing the 1.25" Handlebar Riser and increasing the bar height with shims as needed. I'll also be wearing my riding boots that have a thicker sole then the hiking boots I had on in the pics.

Anyway, it's just a start and way better then what I had with the stock bars but sitting and standing in the garage isn't riding and that isn't going to happen until I re-valve and spring my forks.
2010 Ducati 1198S
Old 01-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #7
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
With the seat dished out on our bikes so most can touch the ground, it makes it hard to get the bar height right. When you get it good for standing up, it is tall for sitting. Standing most of the time off road is great, but sometimes you have to sit.

Run whatever feels good to you. That Flexx bar set up is really nice. My elbows hurt constantly when riding off road for 25 years and I probably should get some.
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #8
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,332
I like them. I have to be honest, the first time I saw these I was thinking, "What the &$@# ???" Now it makes perfect sense. I'm wondering if they would work leaned back. My problem is that I'm 5' 10" with a 33" arm length. My bars are stock KTM bend with the KTM spacers under them, but my reach to the bars seems a little long. All-day trips leave me wanting bars that are pulled back just a tad more. Maybe this setup would be perfect for me? Dunno.
Orangecicle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:28 PM   #9
gen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 784
I've spent a bunch of time speaking with Cole at Fasstco recently and his recommendation is that for the 690 Enduro and the 990 (and any of the liter-class DP bikes) that 15 degree bends are preferable, 14 degrees at the least. He did not recommend 12 degree bends for DP bikes. MX bikes, of course, are a different story.
DoD#1458 | GaijinRiders | 2010 KTM 690 Enduro
gen is offline   Reply With Quote