User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
spddmn OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
2012-2013 KLR Oil burning???

Has anybody heard of any oil consumption issues with 2012-2013 KLR 650's? I had a 2008 that drank the oil, got rid of it, and now am wanting another one. If the 2012-2013 models don't drink oil I'm seriously considering getting one. Did Kawasaki fix this issue on the 2012-2013 KLR's??? Thanks
1975 Kawi KS125
1970 Honda CL100
spddmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,777
I heard something about revised rings since the oil burners in 2008.
I don't recall much about oil consumption any more on the newer ones so I will bet they are much better, but I'm curious too if anyone has had any issues.
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #3
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 8,878
I put about 50-100ml in mine, about every 200 miles. And, as the oil gets older (after abour 1800 miles on it), I usually need to add about 100-150ml (per 200).

As a sidenote, that is still below Kawi's "acceptable" spec of 1 liter (1 quart) per 1000 miles.

My bike is a 2011, with just under 8000 miles on it...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:49 AM   #4
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,949
My friend has a couple 2010 models. As long as he keeps it 70mph or less the oil consumption is small. Over 70 and it uses a lot. He carries a couple quarts when we do long trips together.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:51 AM   #5
Skowinski
Chordate

Oddometer: 4,686
Wow, I'm amazed to hear the problem still seems to exist. And, an acceptable level for Kawasaki is up to a liter in 1000 miles? Come on, that's ridiculous.

FWIW, I have an 06, and it does not use oil at all, or at least nothing noticeable between the usual 3000 miles change intervals. I went with the old model because I was concerned about survivability of bodywork in crashes, but it sounds like oil deal is a bigger, and ongoing, issue.

"Nature never hurries, yet everything is accomplished."
- Lao Tsu

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:57 AM   #6
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skowinski View Post
Wow, I'm amazed to hear the problem still seems to exist. And, an acceptable level for Kawasaki is up to a liter in 1000 miles? Come on, that's ridiculous.

FWIW, I have an 06, and it does not use oil at all, or at least nothing noticeable between the usual 3000 miles change intervals. I went with the old model because I was concerned about survivability of bodywork in crashes, but it sounds like oil deal is a bigger, and ongoing, issue.
I'm not saying it is ok, but 1 qt per 1000 miles is the specification,also for car manufacturers.
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:59 AM   #7
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Liter in a 1000 miles has been standard quote since I started playing with cars back in the 70's. Many modern vehicles are burning oil. Mostly due to EPA standards/requirements...hit some of the Audi, BMW and Infinity forums. My SRT10 doesn't burn oil but many do. I met with one of the developing engineer's at Arrow Racing (they make the Viper engine) and he stated EPA requirements for blow by at initial start up required them to re-engineer the rings and ring lands. Plus side you get less bad emissions for the first 1 min after startup but downside is the ring lands can't take much NOS or much over 6lb boost AND they can burn oil.
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:20 PM   #8
LordMDP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
all big bore single cyl bikes burn a little oil at high rpm

I had a 08 klr and it wasn't that bad

wera ex #308
LordMDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:31 PM   #9
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,029
The problem was with consistently out-of-round cylinders. Don't know if it continues.
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #10
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 8,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by byways View Post
The problem was with consistently out-of-round cylinders. Don't know if it continues.

I thought it was the rings on the '08s...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:49 PM   #11
byways
byways

Initially, we all hoped it was so simple. Turned not to be. It was the cylinders, which is why the 685 overbore kit works, at least for the first 10k. The service manager at Carl's Cycles in Boise, Idaho, which does many oil-guzzler repairs, says the replacement, new KLR cylinders he receives from Kawasaki are consistently out of round to varying degrees. He orders three at a time, mics them, chooses the least out-of-round one, and ships the remaining two back. Given that people kept buying KLRs regardless of the problem, which Kawasaki never acknowledged in any meaningful way, I don't see Kawasaki fixing it any more than they truly fixed the doohickey problem after 20+ years. Why bother ...

byways screwed with this post 01-20-2013 at 05:59 PM
Old 01-20-2013, 09:07 PM   #12
73Mustang
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Has quality control gone downhill since the Japan manufactorers moved production to Thailand?
73Mustang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:29 PM   #13
byways
byways

It certainly did with the 08 KLR, which came with a long list of problems ... rubber rotting away prematurely, blinkers falling off, wiring harness shorts, trip odometer failing, doohickey spring failing and others ... all in addition to the out-of-round cylinders. Strangely, the engine is stamped as made in Japan. All that said, mine has taken a real beating since I bought it, and at slightly under 30k is going strong and reliably. Just have to carry plenty of oil. And it's on its fourth top-end due to the oil issue, I would add.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:13 AM   #14
okieinoz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
49,789 kilometers

I bought a used 2008 klr650 March last year with 42,300 kilometers on it...not running...wiring problem...used and abused...missing bolts and bets...I am the 5th owner. It came with the LEXX exhaust and home made pannier frames and cheap Pelican type boxes. It has now 49,789 kilometers on it...I did the Eagle Mike Doo/Tspring and carb klx needle and main jet...Eagle Mike is a legend...He is welcome at my house anytime.
Mine is not a oil burning...used a bit on one ride one time...not sure why...but very happy with the amount it uses. I have done 1200 kilometers in four club rides in 10 days...used maybe about 200 to 300 mils. I run with a lot of BMW riders...the KLR has impressed them pretty good...there clothes cost more then my bike so for a cheap as bike it does ok. Last week we did a long ride...on some very curvy back roads I had it up to 150kph trying to keep up...I think...things were a bit of a blur. So for an over loaded...tall heavy bike thats design goes back over 20 something years it is a good bike.
If I win the lotto I might get me a BMW but the KLR is the ride for me until then.
okieinoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:12 PM   #15
The_Precious_Juice
Green Horn

Oddometer: 955
Very interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by byways View Post
Initially, we all hoped it was so simple. Turned not to be. It was the cylinders, which is why the 685 overbore kit works, at least for the first 10k. The service manager at Carl's Cycles in Boise, Idaho, which does many oil-guzzler repairs, says the replacement, new KLR cylinders he receives from Kawasaki are consistently out of round to varying degrees. He orders three at a time, mics them, chooses the least out-of-round one, and ships the remaining two back. Given that people kept buying KLRs regardless of the problem, which Kawasaki never acknowledged in any meaningful way, I don't see Kawasaki fixing it any more than they truly fixed the doohickey problem after 20+ years. Why bother ...
I just spent some time reading up on this issue.

Coming from the car community and looking to get into Motorcycles, I find this very disturbing.
But the states don't lie. The KLR 2nd generation sales really well.

So much to learn, so little time.
Wait... I have plenty of time. I won't buy until this winter.
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote