ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2014, 06:06 PM   #1
gotdurt OP
Flatulent Fellow

Oddometer: 168
Arizona: FR413 out of Jerome

Has anyone done FR413 into/out of Jerome somewhat recently? I know years ago 413 used to be accessible from Jerome (looked kind of like a private drive or something, but was open), but I think I read or heard somewhere that there might be a locked gate now (but that there was a creative way around it)? Can anyone confirm this?

I'm in Austin, but will be coming up there in April with a couple of friends and hope to add it to our loop.
gotdurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:36 PM   #2
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
Allan springs road. Mingus loop road. FR413. There are several names for it, but yes, it's open. Last year a very large boulder fell onto it and I don't think it's been removed yet, but I know of a jeep who made it around with a little rock stacking and body damage, so you will be fine on a bike.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:16 PM   #3
mr.slowpokey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Is that the road that has a sign that says "your GPS is wrong?"
mr.slowpokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:23 PM   #4
gotdurt OP
Flatulent Fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee1 View Post
Allan springs road. Mingus loop road. FR413. There are several names for it, but yes, it's open. Last year a very large boulder fell onto it and I don't think it's been removed yet, but I know of a jeep who made it around with a little rock stacking and body damage, so you will be fine on a bike.
Cool, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.slowpokey View Post
Is that the road that has a sign that says "your GPS is wrong?"
I remember one somewhere in the Bradshaws that said "Your map is wrong"... probably over 10 years ago that I saw it, so maybe they modernized it with "GPS"
Old 03-25-2014, 07:38 PM   #5
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,084
I included it as the hard way into Jerome for the Great Western Trail.

I rode it memorial weekend on 2011, very fun Dual Sport bike road. If you notice, it was built to bury a pipe line. There are several very old valve access locations.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:20 PM   #6
seabee1
we build, we fight

Yep. It was built to bring water from Allen springs to Jerome. I have a map of the cave that Allen springs comes out if. It's super long with an active creek running through it. I think it's over a mile and a half that you can walk in. There's a gate over the entrance now, though.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Old 03-25-2014, 09:21 PM   #7
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee1 View Post
Yep. It was built to bring water from Allen springs to Jerome. I have a map of the cave that Allen springs comes out if. It's super long with an active creek running through it. I think it's over a mile and a half that you can walk in. There's a gate over the entrance now, though.
Very interesting, there is obviously a horizontal layer where water comes out. There are 6 springs along the road.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:53 AM   #8
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,830
I get the impression this is the road leading south out of Jerome. We tried to find it a couple of years ago from the Jerome end and failed.

We did see the sign saying your "GPS is Wrong" and did not try that road.

I'll bet that was the road. If we ever do it again I think we will try to come into town from the south - and will try using Jerry's tracks of the area.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:02 AM   #9
gotdurt OP
Flatulent Fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
I get the impression this is the road leading south out of Jerome. We tried to find it a couple of years ago from the Jerome end and failed.

We did see the sign saying your "GPS is Wrong" and did not try that road.

I'll bet that was the road. If we ever do it again I think we will try to come into town from the south - and will try using Jerry's tracks of the area.
Hmm... and where are "Jerry's tracks"? I'd like to take a look and see if we are talking about the same area.

I remember the access from the Jerome end was obscure and hard to find... I located it once while in the area, just to confirm the location for a later ride, and it was open then; no gate, just a cattle guard.

Edit:
Google shows the access as Upper Gulch Rd, that's how I reached it back around '02.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Up...4eba21a4?hl=en
This sign wasn't there before, that I recall:
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.7472...J9zw!2e0?hl=en

gotdurt screwed with this post 03-26-2014 at 09:11 AM
Old 03-26-2014, 05:53 PM   #10
gotdurt OP
Flatulent Fellow

Anyone care to make the ride and report?
Old 03-26-2014, 06:01 PM   #11
seabee1
we build, we fight

let me call my buddy in Jerome and see if he wants to go on a quad ride.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Old 03-26-2014, 07:05 PM   #12
F-Pilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZstateParksOHV View Post
I have it on good authority that the "local residents only", "your gps is wrong", and "5mph" signs are not official government signs FWIW. The folks who live in the gulch are not too keen to all the motorized traffic that whizzes through their neighborhood. Keep the speeds and dust down if you hit that road, it's a rough crowd in that hood and access is always in jeopardy.
That's good to hear that the access is not officially closed.
Did a ride there last year with Nightstalker.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=884551
We ran across a sign on 413 at 493 junction that sais 413 was closed 6 miles ahead. Since we needed gas anyway we went down 493 to Cottonwood and then took the asphalt up to Jerome.
We stopped at Upper Gulch Rd and residents have posted those signs to discourage OHV traffic through their neighborhood.

Sounds like a good project for SP and FS to work on a reroute to bypass the residential area and kepp 413 open???????
F-Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:29 PM   #13
gotdurt OP
Flatulent Fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-Pilot View Post
Did a ride there last year with Nightstalker.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=884551
Ha, my old riding buddy Dan was on that ride
Old 03-26-2014, 09:54 PM   #14
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotdurt View Post
Hmm... and where are "Jerry's tracks"? I'd like to take a look and see if we are talking about the same area.
All my tracks are on GPSXchange.com

Like I said above, I used this road as the hard way into Jerome (Easy is highway) from the south on the Great Western Trail.

The marked trail crosses highway west of town and goes down the worst rocky road I have ever used. I had to get off and bull dog my 525 past jeeps that were winching up it.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:31 AM   #15
gotdurt OP
Flatulent Fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
All my tracks are on GPSXchange.com

Like I said above, I used this road as the hard way into Jerome (Easy is highway) from the south on the Great Western Trail.

The marked trail crosses highway west of town and goes down the worst rocky road I have ever used. I had to get off and bull dog my 525 past jeeps that were winching up it.
Went and looked at GPS exchange and found your posts, but can't find any tracks or GPX files... I know you have to upload a file and be approved before you can download, but I just want to see the track image; I don't use GPS.