User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 02:18 AM   #1
DRjoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,859
Slipper camp

Boot camp was going to to hard core for me this time so I decided I do my bit for society and take some of the more senior forum members for a ride.
Just to make sure I go to heaven I took an old hermit, an old guy with a gammy leg who was a bit delusional about his age and some old crazy fella with coffee stains round his mouth who didn't understand English (or he was deaf)

I took my old dr650 and they all turned up on v twin ktm's two of which didn't have a great deal of tread left on there rear tyre.

The charitable thing to do was let the guy with the bad led go first so that e could pick tracks and a pace that suited him.
It all went down hill from there (or up) he still thought that he was 18 and on his dt175 and promptly took us up some nasty looking track but thankfully everyone handled them ok, the crazy fella had forgotten to put air in his front tyre so we had to fix that then later he was told by some kids on enduro bikes how we should deffinetly not go left because it would be impossible for the big bikes so what did the silly old coot do, he went left and the other two oldies followed him.
Any way after rounding them up I let the gammy leg one lead again because he seemed to be acting his age but alas it went to shit again and we all got stuck on some slight incline, I assume we had
The wrong tyres or to much air in them because it wasn't much of a hill.

A miracle happend after the hill, once we got to the top the hermit started smiling and enjoying being involved in a group activity.

We got to imbil and had a nice cup of tea then headed home I returned two out of three back to the old folks home but I had lost the hermit on the way back.
Turns out the old fella was finally happy to get out and see what the wold had to offer so he fuelled up his bike and rode off into the sunset.

The end

DRjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:26 AM   #2
Maxyb
Falling over slowly

Oddometer: 104

great write up
Maxyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:37 AM   #3
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,510
Senior" slipper" rides

James Cook was just talking about the need for a "Seniors" adventure thread. I am not sure that he had tracks like these in mind though! I have one year to go before 60 so I might be considered a junior member of the Seniors group.
XRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:39 AM   #4
Big Willy
two dementional

Oddometer: 2,102
You're a funny f**ker

Good write up
Old 01-20-2013, 02:45 AM   #5
WILL_S
OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer: 2,092
funny fugger

did the heat get to ya
Old 01-20-2013, 02:47 AM   #6
Russ

Oddometer: 15,473
I saw the thread title, and thought, yes he is
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:51 AM   #7
ozimick
destination unknown

Oddometer: 435
easy day he says

Nothin too hard says young Joe, come along on a couple of my slipper camps, it's a softer ride (hence the term slipper) designed especially for you elderly statesmen ..... then you might be ready for Phils renowned " Boot Camp"
"Scottys got a crook knee (Arthritis?) and I think that plastic hip of his is playing up, so we will just stay on the easy stuff!"

So off we went and as Joe commented bob took one for the team and got the mandatory flat tyre very early in the day...

e

No sweat ... who read the "what do you do when you get a flat tyre thread" asked Bob, we'll have this fixed in a jiffy.... Blank stares was all he got from the three of us. Crap says Bob , now what do we do ?
Joe hands him a spare tube, here put this in, I have used it before and I'm not sure if it has a hole in it or not... should be ok
Anyway after what seemed like a lifetime (well, at least 15 minutes anyway) we got the puncture fixed and were soon on our way again ..Until, the hill
Scotty had no drama and raced to the top like he was riding on tar ... gammy leg and all ! While Young Joe watched the Old Bull at work

Try as he might Bobs katey was not having a bar of it not for love nor money

Yes sirrey, she had her cranky pants on

So after a couple of attempts at "the hill"

Bob got his shit together and rode like a man possessed and smashed that hill in a manner that would have put Cyril to shame.
Dunno what all the fuss was about really Bob.... Nice how everyone dug in and helped you pick your bike up too, and gee mate you looked rooted when you got to the top of that hill

Easy Say young Joe , hmmm Dunno about that , what was going on here then ???

So off we went again........

ozimick screwed with this post 01-20-2013 at 10:40 PM
ozimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:54 AM   #8
GSXR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 749
Slipper camp. that's gold lol
GSXR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:00 AM   #9
philth
philth

Oddometer: 5,875
i hope yas didnt pick up any habits off bob
like err, twice daily moisturising
Old 01-20-2013, 03:09 AM   #10
ozimick
destination unknown

Circle work

Well we rode for what seemed like a couple of hrs when the hermit (yours truly) in the lead role, pulls up for a rest... young Joe pulls up and pointing to a tree,says , you silly old codgers we have ridden past that tree 4 times now, we have been going around in circles for the last hour and a half... Nah bullshit , was the reply here check the trip log on me G.... P .... Oh.

Scott you lead from here on, and don't get us lost bellowed the young fella ( Hmmm not just Bobs bike with the cranky pants on I thought to myself !!)
Away we went again until ..

We came to this ... good to see everyone giving you a hand there to Bob

Scotty having a go

And young Joe

Bob got through, and soon we were on our way again...
Old 01-20-2013, 03:24 AM   #11
ozimick
destination unknown

Bugger another hill

Easy says young Joe....
And it was at about this point we came across the kids on their motorised mountain bikes, I distinctly remember one of them saying : when you go through the gate just up ahead DONT turn left .... and his conversation continued with words like "you won't be able to" "too hard" "will never" "too big and heavy" "go right"

With that Bob took the lead, got to the gate and took the left fork ??? WTF I remember thinking to myself? Anyways we followed on like sheep and things seemed ok and at the next stop it was mentioned to Bob about the left turn thing. He just gave a rather vague look " Oh I never heard him say anything like that" "All I heard was blah blah, blah blah blah blah blah"
"Anyway they got through there on that little KTM 2 stroke thing , how hard could it be" he huffed ?

So things settled down for a while and Joe even let me lead again,so there I was out in front , happy as Larry, when I came to another hill....buggered if I know, for all I knew it could have been the same hill , couldn't remember ! All I knew was it was a hill and one that looked decidedly gnarly

So I gave it the berries and next thing I knew was

I was facing the way I came and all I could hear through the dust was another big twin bearing down (or up ) on me I was outa there, left the big girl on the ground to fend for herself ..
When the dust settled >>>

We had two big twins laying on the ground resting
And somewhere through all the fuss

Young Joe went powering past both of us and , I think over the two beached whales laying distraught on the ground....
Easy as he yells from the top of the hill...
Our thoughts then turned to BOB, and that left turn .......

Oh Dear !!

Perhaps I best put the camera away for a while.
I might add Bob, Gee you looked reeaally rooted when you got to the top of that hill !!

No messing around though when you decide to get the bit between your teeth though is there , Smashed it !
Was it the same hill ?

ozimick screwed with this post 01-20-2013 at 12:35 PM
Old 01-20-2013, 03:33 AM   #12
WILL_S
OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer: 2,092
this keeps getting better and better
Old 01-20-2013, 03:51 AM   #13
ozimick
destination unknown

oxygen

By this time, some of us were in need of a shot of pure oxygen ( well I was anyway) so we decided to limp down to Imbil town for a feed and our midday intake of pills (must be taken with food you see).
An assessment of the mornings activities

Bobs bike now has matching front blinkers looking like this .... and some new battle scars .

The first of many battle scars on Scottys bike, ouch !! .... you are going on the next slipper camp, aren't you mate should be able to do the other side

I did a mirror ... and like Bob and Scott, picked up a few more battle scars.

No close up of Joes bike .... That damn thing looks like something outa Mad Max , scares me just being close to it ..... although there is this one pic

I asked him about the leaking seal on his bike ... He says "Ye it has been leaking for a few months now, but it seems to have stopped lately".....then he mutters "musta taken up, right ?"
Old 01-20-2013, 04:20 AM   #14
ozimick
destination unknown

Things to do

So with full tummys , pills taken and memories back in tact , the conversation turned to "where too next"
Bob " I might head off, got stuff to do"
Joe " Ye I might go , got work to do"
Scott " I better go with them"

So there I was , waved the boys off as they headed east,. What to do. The day was early, there was much riding to be done

Found some wicked single trail up around Lake Borumba

Checked out the wall

Then went up the back end for a look about .... Tell you what, came across a nasty hill up in there somewhere too (could have been the same hill , cant remember ) It was beginning to look like it was going to be one of them ones where the bike stays at the bottom and yours truly walks home. Bejeezus it was close

Poked around up at the lookout

Then buggered off over to here for a couple of hrs

Some good riding up there in places too

Had a look around Mapleton out the other end .

Some nice views and buildings up there too

By then the day was nearly done , shadows long, time for home ...

Found some twistys to finish the day off on the way home , all good.

Thanks Joe for the invite to slipper camp..... easy as hey . Thanks Bob and Scotty for following me blindly around in circles. Cant wait for the next one

Cyas

ozimick screwed with this post 01-20-2013 at 12:24 PM
Old 01-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #15
james928
oohh sidestand!!

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
Boot camp was going to to hard core for me this time so I decided I do my bit for society and take some of the more senior forum members for a ride.
Just to make sure I go to heaven I took an old hermit, an old guy with a gammy leg who was a bit delusional about his age and some old crazy fella with coffee stains round his mouth who didn't understand English (or he was deaf)

I took my old dr650 and they all turned up on v twin ktm's two of which didn't have a great deal of tread left on there rear tyre.

The charitable thing to do was let the guy with the bad led go first so that e could pick tracks and a pace that suited him.
It all went down hill from there (or up) he still thought that he was 18 and on his dt175 and promptly took us up some nasty looking track but thankfully everyone handled them ok, the crazy fella had forgotten to put air in his front tyre so we had to fix that then later he was told by some kids on enduro bikes how we should deffinetly not go left because it would be impossible for the big bikes so what did the silly old coot do, he went left and the other two oldies followed him.
Any way after rounding them up I let the gammy leg one lead again because he seemed to be acting his age but alas it went to shit again and we all got stuck on some slight incline, I assume we had
The wrong tyres or to much air in them because it wasn't much of a hill.

A miracle happend after the hill, once we got to the top the hermit started smiling and enjoying being involved in a group activity.

We got to imbil and had a nice cup of tea then headed home I returned two out of three back to the old folks home but I had lost the hermit on the way back.
Turns out the old fella was finally happy to get out and see what the wold had to offer so he fuelled up his bike and rode off into the sunset.

The end

Looks like you blokes had a good ride. Bob just loves the punctures..