User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2010, 01:18 PM   #1
Krusty ... OP
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,592
DR650SE Index Topic #8- FUEL

The stock steel tank only holds 3.2 gallons (US), and doesn't offer the kind of range many of us would prefer. The aftermarket has the solution, with bigger (and lighter, crash-resistant) plastic tanks...
Which tank has made your life easier?

Anyone have any comments about the factory inline filter?

TANKS
-STOCK
-IMS
-AQUALINE
-CLARKE
-ACERBIS (pre-'96 6.6 gallon)
VACUUM PETCOCK
MANUAL PETCOCK
FILTERS
Old 11-08-2010, 01:26 PM   #2
Krusty ... OP
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,592
I'm running the IMS five gallon tank, and I'd recommend it. Mine is translucent, so I can see how close I am to walking. I'd love to fit a Safari, but the IMS is a big improvement over stock, and is much more reasonably priced.

One caution: if you have the old style IMS cap/gasket, take steps to update it to the newer style. Additives in newer gasoline blends are causing the older gaskets to degrade, leading to little black foam bits swimming in your gas. Not a good thing.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:32 PM   #3
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
ditto! to the above but I feel the IMS is sized just right.

...and I like the inline factory filter since it's easier to replace/clean out than a pilot circuit in the carb.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,408
Cool2

At 3,000 miles my bike started coughing and died twice on a cross country trip. It was about 15 degrees out and I got it home not knowing what the issue was. ADV rider to the rescue, I posted, it was suggested to check the little tiny filter and I found the sucker clogged up with a white gel like stuff.

Now I run the little red plastic Briggs & Straton fuel filters. My Aqualine Safari tank has two filters and two petcocks. No more issues in the last two years, I need to put some fresh filters on soon. The tank has been fine though, no real crash testing yet. I like the translucent natural tank too, its a very good fuel guage. The huge tank acts like a fairing, it helps in the winter to keep the wind off my knees.

Added a TM-40 two years ago, love it. No complaints, Procycle had it set up and jetted right out of the box. Comes with adapters installed so its plug and play with the shorter throttle cables that are included. I get an average of 50.20 mpg while touring with a heavy load on the bike and a 14T CS. Mine is runing a stock exhaust and a cut air box with a Twin Air filter. I'm jetted close to stock, one step larger jet for the opened up air box and I love the instant throttle response the pumper gives.

My supertanker:

sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:41 PM   #5
AKoffroader
Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Thumbs down

1+ on the IMS 4.9 gallon tank

I would also recommend a Pingel petcock to go with your new tank. It's a very well built simple piece.

Note: I tried a set of tank decals on the IMS.... forget it! They started lifting right off the bat. These are the Kientech ones made for the IMS tank. They even installed them. The fact is, plastic tanks pass gas vapor through their skin and nothing very large will stick to them.

AK
2012 Yamaha XT1200Z
1978 Yamaha TT500
AKoffroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:09 PM   #6
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,447
it's tough to get a filter to work and not disintegrate when using an ims tank because of the fuel line bend. some have successfully rotated the inlet on the carb down w/o it leaking. on my ims i used the stock ims petcock, bought and upgraded larger fuel resistant o-ring and used lock washers on the bolts. it's been solid for 3 yrs. that petcock has a filter and i clean my carb inline once a year so i go w/o an additional one. you can use a locking acerbis gas cap on ims tanks. pro-fill australia also makes a drop-in the neck and leave it there fuel filter that acts as a stage 1 filtration for ims & stock tanks. very usefull for barrel gas in mexico!
http://www.profill-australia.com/
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Labor Day Sale: $10/map (6-10 maps) + free case
http://www.butlermaps.com/6for60
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:31 AM   #7
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
it's tough to get a filter to work and not disintegrate when using an ims tank because of the fuel line bend. http://www.profill-australia.com/
F.W.I.W. as long as the line stays below the bottom of the tank, just buy a longer hose and loop it around the front of the petcock and then back to the carb inlet. A nice wide loop hurts nothing and, if you ever have to drain the tank, unplug the hose from the carb and place it into a fuel can.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:56 PM   #8
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,079
It does seem fitting that a Briggs & Straton fuel filter would work well on a DR 650. Have you tried any other B & S stuff, like cables, air filters etc.?

I know everyone has their own tastes, but, I think seeing the fuel level is
the only way to go. After all what the tank costs and what the gas cost you should be able to see it.
YnotJP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:03 AM   #9
Billy_Goat

Oddometer: 118
My stock petcock went bad and filled the combustion chamber with fuel.

For some stupid reason Suzuki doesn't sell a rebuild kit so I called Jesse at http://www.kientech.com/ to see if there was a cheaper alternative to the $89 Pingel and he said to use one from a 660 Raptor, $30. Works great, direct bolt-on. Jesse is a helluva guy.

Billy_Goat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:12 AM   #10
NJjeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 958
Krusty wrote:
Quote:
One caution: if you have the old style IMS cap/gasket, take steps to update it to the newer style.
Thats me. My gasket is truning to crud.
Does some one offer replacement gaskets?
I see IMS offers the whole cap.
NJjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:21 AM   #11
shu

Oddometer: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep
F.W.I.W. as long as the line stays below the bottom of the tank, just buy a longer hose and loop it around the front of the petcock and then back to the carb inlet. A nice wide loop hurts nothing and, if you ever have to drain the tank, unplug the hose from the carb and place it into a fuel can.
Or you can use this ($8.50 USD):

from Top Gun Motorcycles (go to their site for a bigger and better pic)

http://www.topgunmotorcycles.com/Pro...es/Drprod.html

The one on the right has a pre-bent gas line and the filter itself has a right angle exit tube which works well with the stock carb inlet tube and the IMS tank. Keeps things simple and the filter is easy to get to and change out. (Also, no need to mess with twisting the carb inlet tube around.)

Some don't like the IMS stock petcock. It is lightweight and 'feels cheap' compared with some others, but after using it for 30,000 miles I don't notice that anymore and it still works perfectly.

...............shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:26 AM   #12
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,321
stock tank, cap lock disabled.
pingel petcock, pricey but non-vacuum, high-quality & no issues.
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:43 AM   #13
mitchxout
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
it's tough to get a filter to work and not disintegrate when using an ims tank because of the fuel line bend.
I removed the curved metal inlet pipe and tapped the carb for a straight threaded inlet. Works perfect and looks clean. Instructions are in this thread somewhere.
mitchxout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:54 PM   #14
LazyRay
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I prefer the IMS fuel tank.
By the way IMS also upgraded the flat rubber petcock gasket to "Viton" to resist failure with the new fuels.
Ive had two of the older style gaskets fail on me and its a PIA to be stranded soaked in fuel.No to mention the fire hazard.
If you are using the older IMS gasket on the petcock,upgrade now and save some trouble in the future.Part #322141-VITON.

Im using the Raptor petcock,have the IMS petcock for a spare...hated the stock vacumm unit.

Just curious what size oring are yall using on the IMS petcock?
LazyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:10 PM   #15
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,447
i tried that exact setup they have for the ims tank. same straight filter & all.
sure it bolts up, but the hose puts angled pressure on the end of the filter.
over time mine filter has a nice bend at the end from the pressure & probably engine heat. i saw that and yanked it before the filter finally cracked out. ymmv. it's to tight of a bend needed in the hose for the space and the filter takes it in the end.

maybe the full loop or moving the carb inlet is the only ticket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu
Or you can use this ($8.50 USD):

from Top Gun Motorcycles (go to their site for a bigger and better pic)

http://www.topgunmotorcycles.com/Pro...es/Drprod.html

The one on the right has a pre-bent gas line and the filter itself has a right angle exit tube which works well with the stock carb inlet tube and the IMS tank. Keeps things simple and the filter is easy to get to and change out. (Also, no need to mess with twisting the carb inlet tube around.)

Some don't like the IMS stock petcock. It is lightweight and 'feels cheap' compared with some others, but after using it for 30,000 miles I don't notice that anymore and it still works perfectly.

...............shu
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Labor Day Sale: $10/map (6-10 maps) + free case
http://www.butlermaps.com/6for60
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote