User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 06:55 AM   #1
rattis OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 889
Talking Pucker moment

Hi i normally hanf out on the oil head site but I've got an old R 75/5 that I once upon a time converted to a single disc front brake an improvement fron the old drum.
But by todays standard they suck big time, it's a stainless disc and its not very "grippy".
there's definitely no need for ABS
Goods ideas will be implemented.
Pls PM me as per above.
Thanks
Andy
Old 01-20-2013, 07:48 AM   #2
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,357
Bar mounted MC and braided stainless hose made an enormous difference on my bike. When I did it I thought it would help, but it went so far beyond my expectations, I could scarcely exaggerate. I started a thread on it maybe 2 years ago. Check it out.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #3
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,558
^ the above seems to be consensus from what I read......

I found that using grippy pads made a huge difference... look for HH from EBC, which I used and really liked....I had a single-disk front end with bar m/c and ss, but it improved mightily with the HH's....

Old 01-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm View Post
^ the above seems to be consensus from what I read......

I found that using grippy pads made a huge difference... look for HH from EBC, which I used and really liked....I had a single-disk front end with bar m/c and ss, but it improved mightily with the HH's....

+++111
Sintered, or HH pads by EBC, or other quality manufactures can make an enormous difference. I have for decades ridden race bikes with iron rotors, and can't tell the difference between them, and stainless, when using HH pads!
Old 01-20-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
mykill
odd

Oddometer: 1,156
All of the above plus cast iron discs from Vintage Brake will get you all you're gonna get.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,020
The only EBC pad I have found for my airhead ATE swing caliper was the EBC Organic Kevlar Brake Pads FA22. Using the EBC website, I cannot figure out the EBC HH part number - or if they even make a HH pad for the ATE caliper . Is there a part number for HH scintered pads with an ATE caliper - or is replacing the caliper needed?
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:31 PM   #7
JonnyCash
turd polisher

What does HH stand for?
Old 01-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #8
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,701
Green galfer if they make them. Good stuff
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #9
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,024
Any links to where the suggested brake pads can be purchased?
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:10 PM   #10
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,020
I found the cyclebrakes.com website sells and has catalogs for the Galfer and EBC brakes. Per the cyclebrakes.com website, the EBC brake pads do not have a clear cross reference to Galfer and have no FA22 pad in HH material. The Galfer catalogs shows my '78 airhead w/ATE calipers and stainless disc uses the pad # D233-1. So, I emailed cyclebrakes.com to ask if they sell the D233-1 pads in green or HH pad material.

I replaced my stock rotor with an EBC and the EBC kevlar pads. The braking was about the same as stock; no worries on locking the front tire! The ATE pivot caliper w/stainless rotor and kevlar pads are marginal. Short of swapping the forks for Brembo calipers, I am willing to try some green or HH Galfer pads and the EBC rotor. On I go with my personal 'Don Quixote' style adventure for decent ATE single caliper brakes.

Edit: upon another examination of the Galfer catalog, the D233-1 part number is for a brake line, not pads. There are no airhead 74-80 brake pads made by Galfer listed in their catalog. It looks like different forks with Brembo calipers may be needed. Maybe cyclebrakes.com will have more information.

Stan_R80/7 screwed with this post 01-20-2013 at 06:35 PM Reason: added text
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:50 PM   #11
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,873
I ran EBC HH Sintergrip on both my old Ducatis, for street and track (SS rotors). Great results wet or dry.
But....
Tried them on the R 80 ST when I went to a EBC Prolite front rotor with lackluster results. Switched pads immediately to Galfer Greens and basically got two finger braking with good modulation and no fade - same as on my F 650 which runs the Greens.

Like lots of folks on here and other forums, cyclebrakes.com is my go-to brake supplier. Call on the phone and talk with the owner or her assistant rather than use the website. They both know a boatload of brake info.

For the question about what the HH means - IIRC, pads are rated by initial bite then steady grip, or either grip then fade resistance. Been a long time since I looked it up. And if I recall correctly HH are the highest rating, but don't hold me to that. Also, note that as stated above HH sintered pads weren't the best in all applications.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:36 PM   #12
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305 View Post
For the question about what the HH means - IIRC, pads are rated by initial bite then steady grip, or either grip then fade resistance. Been a long time since I looked it up. And if I recall correctly HH are the highest rating, but don't hold me to that. Also, note that as stated above HH sintered pads weren't the best in all applications.
Thank you!
Old 01-21-2013, 07:04 PM   #13
GapRunr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
PM Sent. We stock the EBC Semi Sintered pad in a FA22.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:05 PM   #14
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
green galfer if they make them. Good stuff
+1
Old 01-22-2013, 01:03 AM   #15
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,692
On my dual disc 38mm R90/6, it was the smaller sized handlebar MC that really made the differeance, playing around with discs/pads may help but won't deal with the main issue: BMW got the ratios between the handlebar MC and the slave cylinders wrong. Going from a stock 17mm MC to a 13mm Mc gave me brakes that were almost as good as the brakes on my Brembo equipped 82, brakes with a greatly increased lever travel give both control and power.
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote