ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 08:14 AM   #1
Orangecicle OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,332
Crankcase vent to airbox drain???

Maybe this is a stupid idea. I wanted to bounce it off the forum before I do it. I want to remove the crankcase vent from the top of the air box (for numerous reasons). After considering all options, I'm thinking that a simple solution would be to just reroute the vent tube back to the airbox drain tube with a T to join the two. Any thoughts before I start hacking. Oh wait, it's 10 degrees in my garage. I think I have awhile before I start cutting.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 3,052
The aix box vent is on the "dirty side" and you will have a bunch of crap accumulating in your crank-case soon after.

Don't do it.

Instead, find a cheap inline fuel filter for cars/automobiles and shove it into the crank case vent pipe after removing it from the air box cover. Seal the fitting on the air box cover properly.

and oh, everyone. was away for the last two weeks. Had a Dakar to run
Old 01-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
Dogtown
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
airbox vent tubes

Ive got (maybe) a related question/comment.

My 07 990 is making some weird throaty air box noises intermittintly....Totaly weird!? I kept the bike running and as far as I can see the 1/2 inch drain tube came out of the bottom of the air box and thats the cause....I think?? Its routed down the side of the bike to drain anything out that might get in I guess. Have not re connected yet but why is the sound intermittent??

Oh! i have ectomy'd all the SAS and such

Marin County To Cabo!
Dogtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:02 AM   #4
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 3,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogtown View Post
Ive got (maybe) a related question/comment.

My 07 990 is making some weird throaty air box noises intermittintly....Totaly weird!? I kept the bike running and as far as I can see the 1/2 inch drain tube came out of the bottom of the air box and thats the cause....I think?? Its routed down the side of the bike to drain anything out that might get in I guess. Have not re connected yet but why is the sound intermittent??

Oh! i have ectomy'd all the SAS and such
I'd say you are having an intermittent air leak in your air box. Alongwith the weird throaty noises, do you also have un-steady idle and running issues ?

The drain tube should be attached to the air box, but disconnecting will not cause any noises/issues. Why not re-connect it and see if it changes anything (ideally, it should not) ?