Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 06:12 PM   #91
PDX Alamo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
I am pretty jealous sir, good times all the way around. When y'all get back I owe y'all some drinks
PDX Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #92
johnsonal OP
avenger of all evil

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Alamo View Post
I am pretty jealous sir, good times all the way around. When y'all get back I owe y'all some drinks
I appreciate that man but I don't drink...... I'll look you up when I get back. Can't pass up a free drink! How was the rest of Antigua? Is the rainman still there? He didn't seem to move to fast when he found a place he liked, and he seemed to be enjoying Antigua! (Or vice versa) Thanks for the post.

johnsonal screwed with this post 05-03-2013 at 09:04 PM
johnsonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:31 AM   #93
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,899
Just spent the last few hours reading your thread, viewing your videos/pics and enjoyed it like a good book. Good guys having a good time bumming around the Americas, "Awesome"!

Capriccio.
capriccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #94
benwiggin2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,040
still incredible johnsonal. What will be on your bucket list after this epic amazing awesome trip. I'm prolly old enough to be your dad- well maybe not but you sir are my hero.

by the way I did hose down the patio today already. It's almost noon in So Cal.
benwiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #95
johnsonal OP
avenger of all evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted-hog View Post
Ah........I see you are headed for TP for your bungholio at Lake Titicaca.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/6ae...-from-dirttron
What, do you think I have NO class... Off to log-o Poopo tomorrow on the way to Potosi where I might or might not buy a lot of dynamite!

Old 05-06-2013, 04:29 AM   #96
johnsonal OP
avenger of all evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwiggin2 View Post
still incredible johnsonal. What will be on your bucket list after this epic amazing awesome trip. I'm prolly old enough to be your dad- well maybe not but you sir are my hero.

by the way I did hose down the patio today already. It's almost noon in So Cal.
There's 5 more continents on my bucket list! I don't know if you can ride Antarctica but I'd like to find out...
Old 05-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #97
twisted-hog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonal View Post
What, do you think I have NO class... Off to log-o Poopo tomorrow on the way to Potosi where I might or might not buy a lot of dynamite!

I'm confused who's, who?

twisted-hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:35 PM   #98
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,065
Sweet trip
Old 05-11-2013, 07:02 PM   #99
johnsonal OP
avenger of all evil

Days one hundred eleven and one hundred and twelve, 5-4 and 5-5

Ok, sorry but the internet in Bolivia has been shit.
we woke up in La Paz headed out to ride the death road. first we had to get gas. Now, if you don't have a Bolivian license plate you have to pay about three times the local rate and sometimes they won't even sell you gas. this ends up at about six dollars a gallon. I don't like this. so we try a couple things. This didn't work...

the only thing that does sometimes work is saying the magic word, "pro-pee-na" which means "tip" in spanish. After paying the gringo rate at this place we set out toward the death road. The elevation climbs quickly as your bike chokes, struggling to get air. We got up over 15000 feet.

On the way out there it was freezing cold, raining, hailing, snowing, and I had to ride with my shield open because it was fogging up so bad. meanwhile the hail and rain was hitting me in the face and I couldn't see. I thought to myself, "yeah, this is why they call it the death road". as the day went by the fog lifted just enough for us to look over the edge and see what we had been missing.

On the way back we realized that we had ridden past some beautiful mountains, but had completely missed them due to the fog.

Of course I got my first flat on the death road.

We went back to our shitty hostel and drank some beers and played ping pong ready to leave the smog of La Paz behind and head toward Potosi for our long awaited dynamite. the next days ride to Oruro was boring. We found a cheap place to stay, had a few beers and some cheap food, and passed out early. Oruro was a fairly nice town lots of metal sculptures lining the street.

internet is kinda slow so I'm going to post this and try for another but uploading is taking as long as for-ev-er. (sandlot reference)

johnsonal screwed with this post 05-11-2013 at 07:07 PM
Old 05-11-2013, 08:09 PM   #100
johnsonal OP
avenger of all evil

Days one hundred and thirteen and one hundred and fourteen, 5-6 and 5-7

The ride to Potosi was equally as unexciting as the previous days ride. Straight and pavement. I did pull off for a break and find some decoration for my bike.

We arrived in Potosi and signed up for the mining tour the following morning.

Then went out for drinks. There was some sort of festival going on with a band and fireworks so we joined in on the festivities. The next morning we woke up for one of the most touristy things we have done on this trip. They dressed us up like idiots and loaded us on the bus.

before you go to the mines they stop off at the miners market, where you are supposed to buy gifts of coca leaves, soda, and 196 proof alcohol for the miners you meet in the caves. And where you can buy DYNAMITE! Awesome. I bought some extra booze, and alot of spare dynamite, fuse, blasting caps, and enough amonium nitrate to make alot of large booms. We all loaded back on the bus and headed toward the mines. by the time we arrived at the mines (15 minutes later) I was already a little buzzed from sipping on my plastic bottle of 196 proof. And had quickly made friends with the tour guide ex miner who also liked my plastic bottle of gasoline. we entered the mines. This isn't safe. Before I knew it we were ducking under broken support beams in 8 inches of water.

Then we climbed a wall into a loose gravel hill and squeezed through a small hole no bigger than I am wide. seriously if I was a little fatter, I would have been stuck like Winnie the Pooh. All the while I have a shitload of dynamite, blasting caps filled with nitro glyceryn, and amonium nitrate rattling around in my backpack. We arrived at the top of this gravel hill and climbed through a small hole into an open room where a couple miners were working on cleaning out a cave in that happened last week.

They happily took a break to drink booze and accept our presents. We chatted with them for a bit before heading back down the rabbit hole and off to our next adventure.

We arrived back at the main tunnel and split off up a new hole in the ceiling. Here our guide quickly put together the dynamite and lit a few sticks off. This was sketchy. As I sat and waited for the fuse to burn down to the enevitable BOOM I looked around to see the panic on everyones face. I was well into being drunk at this point so my worries were elsewhere. I have a video of this whole process but it's like 20 minutes and I will have to have better internet to load the damn thing. But I will post it I promise. So meanwhile our tour guide is now drunk too and holding lit dynamite while this girl next to me is getting mad because she is scared and pissed that "I got the guide too drunk" He's a big boy. He runs down into the dark and 30 seconds later BOOM. The feeling is awesome. you can feel the shock wave go through your body, to the end of the cave, and come back through your body again. Everyone now is over it. Except drunk me and drunk tour guide. everyone heads toward the exit as we climb deeper into the mine looking for more of his friends. After another sketchy climb through tight holes we meet up with some other miners and party for a bit. I'm the only white person left. We drink alot more of this poison and bullshit for a bit before heading out of the mine. Well apearently we were in there too long because when we finally emerged into the daylight our bus was gone, leaving Chacco, the guide, and myself in the middle of nowhere. Chacco spots the bus down the side of the hill and we both head straight down this steep hillside stumbling drunk, trying to cut off the bus at the next turn. the buss spots us, we hop on, and head back toward town. I passed out immediately but as for poor Chacco, he had another tour to give. I felt bad for him.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #101
benwiggin2
Beastly Adventurer

Where else in the world can you do this stuff!

So proud of your ambassadorsmanship (lol)!!!!

Way to represent Johnsonal, way to represent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonal View Post
Days one hundred and thirteen and one hundred and fourteen, 5-6 and 5-7

They dressed us up like idiots and loaded us on the bus.

I bought some extra booze, and alot of spare dynamite, fuse, blasting caps, and enough amonium nitrate to make alot of large booms.

I was already a little buzzed from sipping on my plastic bottle of 196 proof. And had quickly made friends with the tour guide ex miner who also liked my plastic bottle of gasoline.

As I sat and waited for the fuse to burn down to the enevitable BOOM I looked around to see the panic on everyones face. I was well into being drunk at this point so my worries were elsewhere.

So meanwhile our tour guide is now drunk too and holding lit dynamite while this girl next to me is getting mad because she is scared and pissed that "I got the guide too drunk" He's a big boy.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #102
johnsonal OP
avenger of all evil

Days one hundred and fifteen and one hundred and sixteen, 5-8, and 5-9-13

For some reason when I woke up the next day I didn't feel to great. Must have been the food... Anyways it was time to get out of Potosi and head to Uyuni to check out the salt flats. The ride was once again boring down the shit pavement but we still had nine sticks of dynamite so we blew up a cactus to cheer ourselves up.

Dynamite count: 9-2=7

We rode the rest of the way into Uyuni and found a cheap hostel for the night. Uyuni is kind of a shitty little town. But it is cheap and it looks like they are starting to kind of clean the place up. I'd like to see what it looks like ten years from now.

Woke up and headed to the gas station to fill up for riding around the salt flats. Just south of Uyuni there is a train boneyard where there are a bunch of rusty old trains you can climb around on.

Then off to the salt flats where I pointed the bike in the general direction toward the salt hotel.

After checking out the hotel made of salt we headed out to one of the "Islands" for a beer.

Then we headed toward another, bigger island where I heard there might be lunch. We ended up at an uninhabited island with no lunch or people around. Bad for lunch, good for dynamite. We blew up another cactus.

Dynamite count: 7-2=5

Sorry the video came out shitty. Time to go back to Uyuni as I had hit half of my 200 mile range. On our way we decided to blow up some salt.

Dynamite count: 5-1=4

Now they warn you to drive on the roads when you visit the salt flats but it is just too much fun to go anywhere you want.

Until you get to the wetter areas and the first layer of inch thick salt breaks through to its muddy friend below while you are going 40mph throwing you over your handlebars, not into the mud, but onto the hard crusted salt. And it isn't smooth and pleasant. (look at the dynamite video above for an example of the surface)

I bruised my knees (because I was just wearing jeans) but I was fine. And we did find some water which made for some cool pics.

We headed back to town anxious to wash the saltwater off our bikes. Nowhere would let us use their hose and all the car washes were closed. We try to sneak in a little cleaning at the hotel by dumping classes of hot water from the shower on the bikes one by one but the hotel owner, who already said no, catches us and tells us to stop. with no other options until the morning we decide to grab some food at one of the many shitty diner places, and hit the hay ready to move on the next morning.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:33 PM   #103
benwiggin2
Beastly Adventurer

FRONT PAGE MATERIAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonal;21399610
[url=http://alexj0707.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/south-america/27639699_kSMB3s#!i=2506212299&k=svG9jBm&lb=1&s=A
[/url]
Old 05-15-2013, 05:57 AM   #104
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Sounds like " good times "

Dy-no-mite !!!
Old 05-16-2013, 07:04 PM   #105
johnsonal OP
avenger of all evil

Days one hundred sixteen to one hundred seventeen, 5-10 to 5-11-13

Bolivia is full of whiners. Of course the gas station was still striking and the water at the car wash was frozen. We rode around all morning trying to find gas before another couple on motos staying at our hotel told us they heard an ICE CREAM SHOP down the street sold gas. Sure enough the lady came out with a ten liter jug and a funnel and we had gas... from the ice cream shop... We hit the road, and what a shitty road it was. 120 miles of washboard. Yeah it wasn't asphalt but fuck, this was shit! No fun at all. After forever we arrived in Tupiza. kinda. The strike was nationwide and they were blocking people from even going in and out of citys. In Uyuni we just rode straight through at high speeds and figured people would move or get hit, but in Tupiza they were smarter. They had a rope. So we rode down to the river and took a rode through some gravel yard or something and into the town. We found a pretty nice place with, bad, but internet and hung out for two nights to get some typing and laundry done. I have no photos because I'm to lazy to reach into my pocket.

The next day I headed to toward the border at Villazon. Now this could be important to someone. If you are an american citizen you have to go online and pay to get into Argentina, print out your receipt, and have it at the border. You can not pay cash at the border. And there is not good enough internet in Villazon to pay there. We had to call Robert, our friend that met us in Medellin, and have him do it for us in Portland over the phone. Thank you Robert you saved our asses! So we get stamped out of Bolivia and into Argentina. One problem... They are searching bags.

We have a bit of dynamite, blasting caps full of nitro glyceryn, a large bag of Amonium nitrate, and ten feet of gun powder filled fuse. I'm sweating a little. The guy searching bags is doing a fairly good job. But he is busy. He calls another man out of the office. This guy is not happy to come out of the office. He points to the bag, "What's in here?" "Ropa" (clothes) points to another bag..."Ropa". He is lazy. Great. He signs our papers and we drive away into Argentina. We ride to Tilcara where we find a campsite and set up shop, drink a bottle of whiskey and hit the hay.

johnsonal screwed with this post 05-16-2013 at 08:02 PM