ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 06:56 AM   #16
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,305
I believe you're talking about holy Jim canyon. I don't know how far back, or what it links to, but it goes back a ways
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:27 AM   #17
luv2race
Confused

Oddometer: 2,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone in 60 View Post
Last weekend, we went to Silverado Canyon.
I'm very intrigued to know where this trail ends up.
Anyone know about this trail?
That goes to the top of Saddleback. Looking at the mountain, it's the peak with all the radio towers. Great view in all directions from up top and it takes about a half hour to get there on a m/c. The trail also goes down to Corona, or down to Ortega highway when it's open and not raining.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:49 AM   #18
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,194
this is what you are looking for

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5276726.pdf
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:54 PM   #19
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot View Post
I believe you're talking about holy Jim canyon. I don't know how far back, or what it links to, but it goes back a ways
No, he's talking about Maple Springs...it takes you up to Four Corners/Main Divide/Santiago Peak...It's beautiful up there and I highly recommend it...but earn the peak by pedaling up
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:03 PM   #20
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Thanks for the welcome, guys. This past Saturday, I visited Moto Quest in Long Beach, where I'll be renting the GS soon - I have been swamped at work and with volunteer stuff on the weekends, so I have some time to plan my ride before I'll have a chance to do it. These guys there seem very nice, and I got the lowdown on how the rental works. They also let me have a seat on one of their rentals, and I'm looking forward to riding it. I'm thinking of heading to Malibu, up to Mulholland, and up to Oxnard or someplace out there. They told me that once I ride the GS, I'll want to buy one. Of course, they're the rental part of a BMW dealer, so I'm sure they'd like to see me buy one. I've pretty much ridden cruisers and standards, so a tall adventure bike will be a new experience.

Since you guys seem to know a lot about trails in the area, you might know about this one... I live in Orange County, and my wife and I do a lot of hiking. last weekend, we went to Silverado Canyon, and took the trail that starts where the road officially ends. We usually cut off to follow the creek trail, but this time we stayed on the main trail, and after about a few miles, the pavement ended and it turned into a dirt trail that kept going and going up into the hills. A bunch of Jeeps and a variety of off road bikes passed us on the trail. I'm very intrigued to know where this trail ends up. None of the bikes or trucks that went up the trail doubled back during the six miles that we hiked up, so I'm thinking that the other end of the trail must hook up to a road on the other side somewhere.

Anyone know about this trail?
Motoquest is a great outfit. I did an Alaska trip with them last year...awesome! They are not owned by LB BMW but they do rent some space from the dealership and they buy some of their rental/tour bikes from LB BMW. Great idea to get a full day ride on a GS to decide if you want one....but I agree with Motoquest...you're going to want one after you ride it!
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:15 AM   #21
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,124
Quote:
Hi all,

New here, but have been riding for years in Orange and L.A. Counties. I have two Hondas in the garage, a '93 Nighthawk 750 and an '07 VTX 1300. I commute daily and swap between the bikes for variety. The sad part is that about 95% of my riding is my commute to work.

In my forays on the Nighthawk, VTX and other forums, there are frequent references to the ADVrider site, so I figured I'd check it out.

I'm trying to take more recreational rides, and you guys look like you have a lot of fun!

I can see adding a KLR to my fleet down the road. Also, I'll be renting a 1200GS soon just for kicks, and am planning as epic a one day ride as possible.

Look forward to hanging out!

Welcome to ADVrider!

Take a look at the fly and ride link I have listed below, maybe you'd be interested in riding a R1200R or 650GS AND have a guide for your adventure. I offer more than just a bike rental, probably for similar costs of renting a 12GS.

Cheers!

Finn

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #22
donmoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
its an incredible road that heads out of Sunland and over toward Canyon Country. Its usually much less busy with squids and the fuzz on the weekends.
Also because of the direction in which it goes, it's usually a springboard for longer trips; Frazier Park, Gorman, Carrizo, WARPED et al

not to be missed
A few weeks ago from the San Fernando Valley, I rode Little T to Rowher on my XT600, screwballed for 3 hours there, and rode little T back. My most successful dual sport ride yet.
...and I just drove Little T today in my Si... I don't know how, but I'm thrilled it's remained relatively undiscovered
donmoto is offline   Reply With Quote