Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #16
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
I'm 6' 220, with a 34" inseam, and I have to tip toe the KLR. Fine on the street, but if your foot slips in loose dirt or gravel, you're probably going to drop it. Since you have no experience in dirt, I'd get a 250 size bike, something really cheap, and go out and practice. Lots of practice. You will fall a few times. I started riding on dirt at age 8, on a Bultaco 100. I fell a lot, but I pushed it. It took me 2 years to get really good at it, where I could do wheelies, jumps, and slides without crashing. I still could not do that on a KLR, somebody probably can, but for that kind of riding I still prefer a smaller bike. The KLR is more of an adventure touring bike, put panniers and lots of goodies on it and it will take you around the world, for 1/3 the price of a 1200GS. And it is probably just as reliable, if not more so. Chain drive means no final drive to fail, a problem BMW has been having lately.

It basically comes down to, do you want to go on long rides on backroads, or just go out and play in the dirt. Each one requires a different type of bike. But with no dirt experience, I'd still start small. Dirt and street are 2 completely different things.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:58 PM   #17
SilveradoTX OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
You and I are pretty much identical in size. My journey had me starting with a Triumph Scrambler, now I'm selling my Tiger and I've decided on getting a Yamaha WR250R. A lowered WRR would be a good choice for the both of you IMO. The reason I'm getting one is that it's a bike that I'll be able to do much more technical dirt while still doing long, long trips.

Good luck in your quest.
Thanks.

A lot of the 250's are starting to look like where I may choose to start out, especially looking at price, size and what I plan to do.

The next step is going to be test riding.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:32 PM   #18
SilveradoTX OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I'm 6' 220, with a 34" inseam, and I have to tip toe the KLR. Fine on the street, but if your foot slips in loose dirt or gravel, you're probably going to drop it. Since you have no experience in dirt, I'd get a 250 size bike, something really cheap, and go out and practice. Lots of practice. You will fall a few times.

It basically comes down to, do you want to go on long rides on backroads, or just go out and play in the dirt. Each one requires a different type of bike. But with no dirt experience, I'd still start small. Dirt and street are 2 completely different things.
That's part of what I have in mind is if something happens on a loose surface and being able to recover. I'm sure a lot will come with practice and time.

I'm no stranger to making a bike do whatever it is I need it to. The reason I have my Buell is that I mostly commute with the occasional trip and can carry a passanger. I've even done weekend trips on a Buell Blast when I started. All that aside, I'm looking forward to when I can start adventuring off the pavement more.