aged n00b

Oddometer: 2,598
Onward Store

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan650 View Post
Steelpony and myself rode to the Onward store and had some tamales,
I hate to say the the store had Fat mamas beat!!! Also ran into Tslaw
Great guy nice bike
Great meeting all of you too. I think Steelpony, Dan650, and crew are in agreement with Ricky and me - excellent tamales. I won't admit that they are better than Solly's until I try Solly's again, but they are as good if not better than Solly's. They smoke Fat Mama's and the White Front Cafe.

Ya'll did much better than I did on photos - thanks.
tslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #18
tslaw OP
aged n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake View Post
you have to know the difference between soul food tamales or south of the border style tamales

why would the Mississippi Delta region not have good soul food?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINNY View Post
Soul food tamales???
They may very well be tasty, but you'd get laughed out of Texas for suggesting such a thing...Tamales are nearly a religion here...
and the name skinny is no longer exactly accurate...too many tamales...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
There is a huge difference between the two. Other than having some sort of meat center and some sort of corn meal wrapper they have nothing in common. My wife, a native Texan, has never developed a taste for the MS variety.

I'll eat both kinds, so I'm not exactly skinny either
Good comments guys - feel free to educate and prompt comments at will. It's a stretch for me to venture away from our tamales in Vicksburg since that's all I've really tried before. I cannot believe i've never had a tamale in the west.

There is a lot of Mississippi tamale history on the Tamale Trail site that Steelpony posted: http://www.tamaletrail.com/introduction.shtml

I'm sure similar info exists for other states. If you run across anything from your state to share please post links and comments at will.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:55 AM   #19
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 15,278
I have some from Dilworth's ( Mississippi)

and some from a Super Mercado ( mexican grocery store) here in NWA

both in my freezer, maybe Ill get a chance for some pics soon.
have to be fast though, they dont last long from thawed out, to gone.

mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #20
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
In most of Texas, you'll have a choice of pork, chicken, or beef...either red or green pepper seasoned.
It's known as Tex-Mex food here...
If you go to New Mexico, you find an entirely different style that is not Tex-Mex.
I've eaten tamales that were made fresh by the locals in the jungles of San Luis Potosi and the Copper Canyon area of northern Chihuahua and they are pretty much the same as Tex-Mex...
I've eaten them in Vera Cruz, and had no idea what they were stuffed with...nothing I could recognize....
But they were good...!
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:20 AM   #21
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINNY View Post
In most of Texas, you'll have a choice of pork, chicken, or beef...either red or green pepper seasoned.
It's known as Tex-Mex food here...
If you go to New Mexico, you find an entirely different style that is not Tex-Mex.
I've eaten tamales that were made fresh by the locals in the jungles of San Luis Potosi and the Copper Canyon area of northern Chihuahua and they are pretty much the same as Tex-Mex...
I've eaten them in Vera Cruz, and had no idea what they were stuffed with...nothing I could recognize....
But they were good...!
Nothing you would WANT to recognize! woofwoof
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:28 AM   #22
Spanky15
Dirt Slider

Oddometer: 522
Yeah...

As in..."why doesn't the cat meow anymore!" I've had tamales in Costa Rica...good. No idea what was in them. I hve got to get to MS for some. A former student of mine from MS told me that's where I wanted to go for tamales!!
Road trip plan...!
'82 XR-500R
'74 Ossa
...all Flattrackers
Spanky15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:36 AM   #23
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 15,278
Swing through North MS and grab some slugburgers too Spanky.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slugburger
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #24
tslaw OP
aged n00b

Slugburgers and Dilworth tamales - got to head north
Old 01-22-2013, 06:53 PM   #25
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,172
For RTET I suppose I could ride around the block and come back home.

This year my sisters "and I" made pork, chicken, and a combo--pork, cheese, and jalapeno. No bean tamales this year.

A tamalada is a holiday tradition with many of us of Mexican heritage, particularly here in South Texas. Family members get together to make tamales, gossip, laugh, eat, and enjoy each others company. Traditionally, the women gather in the kitchen but many of us men join in.

There is a place that in recent year has been expanding in this area, Delia's tamales. Their tamales are finger licking good. I might ride out to one of their locations for a pic one of these days. You can even order their tamales online.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:28 PM   #26
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslaw View Post
Slugburgers and Dilworth tamales - got to head north
I'll be glad to head up the trip to Dilworth's as soon as I can shake this cold. It's not an overnighter for me.
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:36 AM   #27
tslaw OP
aged n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
For RTET I suppose I could ride around the block and come back home.

This year my sisters "and I" made pork, chicken, and a combo--pork, cheese, and jalapeno. No bean tamales this year.

A tamalada is a holiday tradition with many of us of Mexican heritage, particularly here in South Texas. Family members get together to make tamales, gossip, laugh, eat, and enjoy each others company. Traditionally, the women gather in the kitchen but many of us men join in.

There is a place that in recent year has been expanding in this area, Delia's tamales. Their tamales are finger licking good. I might ride out to one of their locations for a pic one of these days. You can even order their tamales online.
Sounds like a great family tradition. No need to ride around the block, just post a picture or two of your tamales. You are disqualified as a judge though.

edit: those Delia's tamales look good - thanks for the link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
I'll be glad to head up the trip to Dilworth's as soon as I can shake this cold. It's not an overnighter for me.
Go for it Anti. I read where Ground Zero in Clarksdale serves some soul tamales from Cleveland (unknown source) and some fried tamales imported from Texas. Also, Hicks and Abe's are in the Clarksdale area and make their own. I had Abe's a couple of years ago - very spicy. May try Clarksdale for my next ride. My doctor told me to try Doe's Eat Place in Greenville as he punished me on the treadmill Monday during my stress test. He also said I don't need to eat many tamales.

tslaw screwed with this post 01-23-2013 at 06:26 AM
Old 01-24-2013, 11:37 AM   #28
Spanky15
Dirt Slider

Oddometer: 522
Thumb

There was a guy they let on base at Pendleton back in the late '70's...early '80's. Mexican fellow that rode a beach cruiser with a propane cylinder over the back wheel...hosed to a burner over the front wheel and a steamer pot bungeed to the handlebars! Came by early one Saturday ringing the thumb bell and woke me. I bought a dozen just to shut that bell up... walked into the house and took a bite out of one. So good I ran around the corner and signaled him back and promptly bought all he had. After that I kept him supplied with red and green chili from New Mexico for my " private stock...!" Good stuff!
'82 XR-500R
'74 Ossa
...all Flattrackers
Spanky15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #29
tslaw OP
aged n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky15 View Post
There was a guy they let on base at Pendleton back in the late '70's...early '80's. Mexican fellow that rode a beach cruiser with a propane cylinder over the back wheel...hosed to a burner over the front wheel and a steamer pot bungeed to the handlebars! Came by early one Saturday ringing the thumb bell and woke me. I bought a dozen just to shut that bell up... walked into the house and took a bite out of one. So good I ran around the corner and signaled him back and promptly bought all he had. After that I kept him supplied with red and green chili from New Mexico for my " private stock...!" Good stuff!
Would be cool if you had a picture of his tamale rig. The best places for tamales seemed to have started like that.

In Vicksburg we have The Tamale Place and Solly's. Both started from a one man operation. A native of Cuba, Henry Solly, moved to Vicksburg and started selling tamales from a cart. He later opened up a small cafe to house his business. After his death there was some family fight that resulted in the two current tamale places in town, The Tamale Place and Solly's. They both use Solly's receipe and are quite good.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #30
tslaw OP
aged n00b

The Tamale Place, Vicksburg

This place is only a couple of miles from work so I picked some up on the way home for lunch today.

They were excellent as usual - the ground beef mixture used as filling also serves as their chili. They rate neck and neck with the Onward store, but I may have to give Onward Store the nod, but I wouldn't drive a car the 70 mile round trip to get them from Onward vs The Tamale Place (I might ride a bike though).