Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2014, 11:15 AM   #31
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
Mine shudders a lot, and makes quite a racket on take-off, but it works well, so I live with the weird noises.

A note on your troubleshooting hints, Oz: somewhere I read ATF is an acceptable substitute for mineral oil in the clutch. I'm using ATF+4 & it's worked just fine, it just adds a little drag to the clutch pull.
Yeah, I guess some clutches just do that but unrelated to the adjustment is my understanding. Mine is pretty quiet.
Good to know about the ATF. Took me a while to find mineral oil....finally found it in the farm store as a digestive aid (read "colon-blow") for cows and horses. As long as this doesn't lead to another oil thread

Btw....I spent a few hours in Denver traffic a week ago....the Rekluse paid for itself there and then! My trip down to check out the KaTuM before I bought it in 2010 led me to about an hour of near gridlock on I-25 on my old 900SS. Tore all the tendons in my left hand and was reduced to mostly clutchless gear changes on the way home.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:44 PM   #32
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,639
I would like to offer a few points to consider. When they changed fron the 2.0 to the 3.0, they went from the ball friction engagement to the Teflon friction pads. The 2.0 with the ball friction have been know to shudder a little as it engages. The 3.0 should not shudder during engagement at all. It shudders when the EXP does not engage evenly. If your 3.0 with the Teflon pads are shuddering while engaging, then I would recommend that you inspect it, and make sure you have even spring tension, specially if you mix springs. The soft springs ( inside the EXP) will allow for expansion of the billet aluminum plates to occur earlier, with a little mushier, CVT, like engagement, and with the hard springs a later, more firm engagement. The engagement difference is about 500 rpm. You can mix the springs, but make sure you have one color on each side. If you dont check that, you will have an uneven engagement, and it will shudder. So it is important to check this. The Teflon pads pictured above are good, even with some angular scratching. That scratching will not come from use. That scratching is done while the EXP was disassembled. The billet piece looks normal. Take each weight, and weigh it. It should be inside of 1 gram of each other. Mistakes happens, so it is important you check this. Another thing, and dont get upset, but make sure you have MC specific oil in it, with no friction modifiers. If the clutch free play gain moves during riding, then I would suspect your clutch slave system. Lastly, do you have any pictures of the friction pads on the exp, and other Rekluse supplied Friction discs....????

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:41 AM   #33
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,128
Thanks for the info.

Mine has the little balls in it, and same-color springs all around, FWIW.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:54 AM   #34
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

Mine has the little balls in it, and same-color springs all around, FWIW.
Good on springs then. The balls create so little friction, that it is hard to meter the expansion, and in some bikes it can vibrate a bit during expansion. On a hydraulic clutch setup like the 950/990, it is a nuisance. That problem was remedied with their 3.0 clutch, with the teflon friction plates. I would be very surprised to see any vibes with a 3.0 system.

Erling
Old 04-28-2014, 05:59 AM   #35
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
Good on springs then. The balls create so little friction, that it is hard to meter the expansion, and in some bikes it can vibrate a bit during expansion. On a hydraulic clutch setup like the 950/990, it is a nuisance. That problem was remedied with their 3.0 clutch, with the teflon friction plates. I would be very surprised to see any vibes with a 3.0 system.
The vibration/shuddering really doesn't bother me now, because I love the way that clutch works: I rode through a bunch of mud some weeks ago, and it seemed the EXP and the smoother power delivery it allows took much of the drama out of riding on a mud-slickened dirt road.

The "dryer-full-of-rocks" sound on take-off did take some getting used to, thouugh.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:50 AM   #36
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 791
so are all of the 950 systems they are selling now the 3.0 setup?

I've been considering a rekluse but wondered if the 950 system got the "upgrade"...

replacing the master is just icing on the cake. :)
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:17 AM   #37
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The vibration/shuddering really doesn't bother me now, because I love the way that clutch works: I rode through a bunch of mud some weeks ago, and it seemed the EXP and the smoother power delivery it allows took much of the drama out of riding on a mud-slickened dirt road.

The "dryer-full-of-rocks" sound on take-off did take some getting used to, thouugh.
Yeppers...... It is a nuisance only. It is amazing how rider fatigue is diminished, and what more techno stuff the heavyweight can conquer.

Erling
Old 04-28-2014, 11:18 AM   #38
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyR View Post
so are all of the 950 systems they are selling now the 3.0 setup?

I've been considering a rekluse but wondered if the 950 system got the "upgrade"...

replacing the master is just icing on the cake. :)
I would suggest you place a phone order with them, and ask for the 3.0, in case they have not purged the 2.0.

Erling
Old 04-29-2014, 12:44 PM   #39
craigrevo
Dumb Brit

Oddometer: 205
I recently purchased an exp for my 950 and I really cant stand the clutch judder! To the point where I am riding the bike using the clutch all the time and I cant see the point in having it anymore. is it possible to upgrade the 2.0 to a 3.0 by just purchasing the weights or would I have to purchase a whole new clutch set?
craigrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:36 PM   #40
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigrevo View Post
I recently purchased an exp for my 950 and I really cant stand the clutch judder! To the point where I am riding the bike using the clutch all the time and I cant see the point in having it anymore. is it possible to upgrade the 2.0 to a 3.0 by just purchasing the weights or would I have to purchase a whole new clutch set?
Call them. They are very helpful. I know you can buy the ring with the weights included without friction and steel plates and springs.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:25 AM   #41
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigrevo View Post
The EXP itself is not interchangeable, as the ramps are different to accommodate the Teflon pads, rather than the ball setup. Depending on what setup you have ( how many OEM discs you utilize) the Rekluse discs ( if any) will work with either, but not the EXP itself. I think it would be worth a phone call to Rekluse. Explain your situation, and see if they would cut you a deal on the 3.0.

Erling