ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 11:34 AM   #16
BBDig
n00b
 
Joined: May 2011
Oddometer: 7
Did you stay in motels or camp most of the time?

Looks like you had the weather horseshoe with you.
BBDig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:13 PM   #17
ssevy
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Adirondacks
Oddometer: 926
Great report! I never get bored seeing pictures of that route, as the weather seems to vary so much that no two look alike anyways! It looked like your big adventure bikes were a great choice for the trip.If I may ask, what tires did you run, and how did they wear for you?
ssevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:14 PM   #18
toddbrule
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Oddometer: 49
Great ride report!! Thanks for taking us along on your adventure.
Regards,

Todd
toddbrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:52 AM   #19
AL "FLYING CANUCK" OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
AL "FLYING CANUCK"'s Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: LA PECHE, QUEBEC, CANADA
Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBDig View Post
Did you stay in motels or camp most of the time?

Looks like you had the weather horseshoe with you.
Hi!

We were all equipped for camping but we end up staying at motels and at a friend in Goose Bay as we did cover a lot of distance each day (never enough vacation)....it is day light very late and early up north.....usually cold nights ...and when its warm you have the famous black flies.....

Cheers
__________________
AL "TONNEAU" / "BARREL"

"30 YEARS OF RIDING IN A FEW MINUTES"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYNkbdDF7mE

AL "FLYING CANUCK" screwed with this post 02-01-2013 at 03:01 AM
AL "FLYING CANUCK" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:11 AM   #20
AL "FLYING CANUCK" OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
AL "FLYING CANUCK"'s Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: LA PECHE, QUEBEC, CANADA
Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssevy View Post
Great report! I never get bored seeing pictures of that route, as the weather seems to vary so much that no two look alike anyways! It looked like your big adventure bikes were a great choice for the trip.If I may ask, what tires did you run, and how did they wear for you?
Hi!

Yes, the XTZ and GSA were in their natural elements ......we have met some nice KTM 990s, KTM 690s and some good old KLRs.....we even met some folks on Harley-Davidson from Texas who did the southern part of Labrador which is paved from Blanc Sablon to Red Bay....they came in from Newfoundland....

(7,000 km or 4,500 miles trip)
My XTZ was equipped with brand new Continental TK80 and the rear was finish by the end of the trip....
The GSA was equipped with almost new Heidenau K60 and the rear was half done at the end of the trip....

We were both sastify with our tires but if I had to do it again I will use the Heidenau for more durability expecially if you folks are coming from the US.....

Cheers!!!
__________________
AL "TONNEAU" / "BARREL"

"30 YEARS OF RIDING IN A FEW MINUTES"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYNkbdDF7mE
AL "FLYING CANUCK" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:12 AM   #21
TravellingTartar
Adventurer
 
TravellingTartar's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: DC
Oddometer: 40
Lived there

Great thread. Just saw this.
I actually lived in Gagnon and in a little construction camp at Mile 191 on the railroad that goes from Port Cartier to Mount Wright (just before Fermont). I also lived in Mount Wright and in Fermont. All this was in the early 70s. The area was booming. And my history with Gagnon goes back even further to 1958. My dad was one of the engineers that worked on the town and did much of the urban planning. I then went back up to Gagnon, by road, in 1988. They were still taking it apart. I went up by Jeep. Well, now that I've read your report, and gotten all worked up, I have to figure out a way to tell my wife that I'd like to disappear for about two weeks into the Québec bush with my new 1200GSA. She won't like me going up there alone, but then again, she's used to it!
Thanks for the great pics. Brought back great old memories.
TravellingTartar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:34 PM   #22
Canadian FJR
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Oddometer: 128
First time seeing this report...........it's a good one. Thanks for taking the time to do it.









Canadian FJR
Canadian FJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:40 PM   #23
AL "FLYING CANUCK" OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
AL "FLYING CANUCK"'s Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: LA PECHE, QUEBEC, CANADA
Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingTartar View Post
Great thread. Just saw this.
I actually lived in Gagnon and in a little construction camp at Mile 191 on the railroad that goes from Port Cartier to Mount Wright (just before Fermont). I also lived in Mount Wright and in Fermont. All this was in the early 70s. The area was booming. And my history with Gagnon goes back even further to 1958. My dad was one of the engineers that worked on the town and did much of the urban planning. I then went back up to Gagnon, by road, in 1988. They were still taking it apart. I went up by Jeep. Well, now that I've read your report, and gotten all worked up, I have to figure out a way to tell my wife that I'd like to disappear for about two weeks into the Québec bush with my new 1200GSA. She won't like me going up there alone, but then again, she's used to it!
Thanks for the great pics. Brought back great old memories.
Interesting story!!!

Wish you another nice trip UP there on your GSA!!!

Cheers!
__________________
AL "TONNEAU" / "BARREL"

"30 YEARS OF RIDING IN A FEW MINUTES"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYNkbdDF7mE
AL "FLYING CANUCK" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 07:52 PM   #24
BlindPew
Adventurer
 
BlindPew's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Left Coast of Canada
Oddometer: 18
Good ride AL. Made me feel like I was riding right alongside of you. Something like our trips to La Mans, Morocco, and the crazy rallys with Left Lane. Good to see you still have your R80GS Dakar. That was a long time ago. Great to see you are still on a Moto. I'll send you a PM.

All the best
__________________
BlindPew

"WE live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm, and adventure. There is no end to the adventures that we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open." - Jawaharlal
____________
'72 R75/5
'93 R100GS
'07 KLR (dreadnaught)
BlindPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 05:46 PM   #25
Dragonflylily
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Dragonflylily's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Oddometer: 307
Planning a trip north this summer, thanks for all the helpful information.
__________________
"Happiness consists not in having much,
but in being content with little."

08 DL1000
Dragonflylily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:11 PM   #26
AL "FLYING CANUCK" OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
AL "FLYING CANUCK"'s Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: LA PECHE, QUEBEC, CANADA
Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindPew View Post
Good ride AL. Made me feel like I was riding right alongside of you. Something like our trips to La Mans, Morocco, and the crazy rallys with Left Lane. Good to see you still have your R80GS Dakar. That was a long time ago. Great to see you are still on a Moto. I'll send you a PM.

All the best
What a great surprise after all of these years my friend!!!!

I will be in touch!!

Cheers!!!
__________________
AL "TONNEAU" / "BARREL"

"30 YEARS OF RIDING IN A FEW MINUTES"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYNkbdDF7mE
AL "FLYING CANUCK" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:13 PM   #27
~wsrock~
Adventurer
 
~wsrock~'s Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Maine
Oddometer: 47
Nice ride report. I did the loop in Sept. 2013 and your trip's June/July photos are excellent and make the trip look so visually different! It looks like you got lucky with the black flies. I'm glad to hear there is still gravel. I was told by the road crews that it should all be asphalt in a couple more years. Great Job!
~wsrock~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015