Good idea 1 100.00%
Go away 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-31-2013, 12:07 AM   #1
AllenL OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Community Baja Bike - Any interest?

I'm getting ready for an April ride in Baja and I've been trying to figure out the best way to rent a bike for the trip. I posted here looking for recommendations of a good rental shop, but as far as I can tell $120/day plus a deposit is the cheapest around. Not nearly as easy or cheap as our Costa Rica trip! Someone suggested just buying a bike for the trip and selling it after. This is a great idea, and provided a decent deal pops up and the bike is as advertised and well maintained, it should possible to break close to even.

The problem is the need to purchase a bike in person, prep the bike for a trip like this, and then be able to sell the bike afterwards (which takes time when dealing with CL folk). Luckily, I've got a very helpful buddy in San Diego willing to help me with most of this. Others may not be so lucky.

My idea, if there is some interest here, is to basically provide a bike to members which has been prepped to the best of our ability, at a shop if need be, for a cost lower than a rental (I'm not trying to make a profit, just my initial investment plus my expenses) and solely for ADVrider members. The costs would be a deposit, and an agreement to fix all damages, plus a rental fee (possibly fixed) to cover the maintenance and storage.

Good or bad idea? Any interest? Other thoughts?

AllenL screwed with this post 01-31-2013 at 12:10 AM Reason: bad spelling
AllenL is offline   Reply With Quote