Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 04:19 AM   #31
studad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
I've got an 05 RK Custom, and I love it. It's got the hard bags now, and those just make a lot of sense to me. I also added a tinted windshield, and a sissy bar with rack. Oh, and some soft lowers for the winter months. And a driver backrest. In short, they're great bikes, and you can mold them into an even better bike (for you) sooooo easily. I've gone for comfort and convenience bits. I now have four seats, and I don't know how many luggage options.
I don't have cruise, and I kind of wish I did, but I've never had a bike that was this easy to cruise down the highway. It's absolutely effortless.
Just get one and start enjoying it.
studad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:51 AM   #32
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by studad View Post
I now have four seats, and I don't know how many luggage options.
I don't have cruise, and I kind of wish I did, but I've never had a bike that was this easy to cruise down the highway. It's absolutely effortless.
Just get one and start enjoying it.
For me, motorcycles are sufficiently different enough from cars that cruise control seems like an overly expensive and complex way to solve a problem. I prefer a throttle lock for resting my right hand and yes I have to reach up now and then to make adjustments, but that doesn't interfere with my hand getting some rest. In a car I might go 20 or 30 minutes with my foot off the excellerator, on a bike I need maybe five minutes, can't see going 20 minutes with my hand off the right grip. Anyway some throttle locks can be expensive as well, the one I use now is universal, cheap ($16), and works better than the most expensive ones.

http://www.aerostich.com/go-cruisetm...control-1.html
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:41 AM   #33
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by andoulli View Post
For me, motorcycles are sufficiently different enough from cars that cruise control seems like an overly expensive and complex way to solve a problem. I prefer a throttle lock for resting my right hand and yes I have to reach up now and then to make adjustments, but that doesn't interfere with my hand getting some rest. In a car I might go 20 or 30 minutes with my foot off the excellerator, on a bike I need maybe five minutes, can't see going 20 minutes with my hand off the right grip. Anyway some throttle locks can be expensive as well, the one I use now is universal, cheap ($16), and works better than the most expensive ones.

I thought the same thing for 30 years, I use it often sometimes when just riding through a town where the speed goes from 55 mph to 35 mph where PD tends to wait. ABS and Cruise are options I want after having it for the last four years, I got it not becuase I wanted it but because I lived in Hawaii and thats what was available on the bike I wanted and unless I waited six weeks for another bike it's what I got. Took me a while to really like it and use it, I use it a lot now I even use it to bump my speed up or down a few mph easier than rolling on or off the throttle. My hand for the most part is still on the grip so I can override it when I want or increase speed and then let he CC bring me back to the speed I was at, might be complicated I don't know it's never failed. It was pretty useless in Hawaii and in high traffic areas, but where I live now I use it on every ride.
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 88k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #34
PMC
riding rider

Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by andoulli View Post

The HD cruise works really well and while I don't use it all the time it comes in really handy on big mile days where you can really use it. It's also nice when you're with a few guys on the same type of bike as it's pretty easy to get them all in sync which is impossible with throttle lock. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind throtle lock but I really like my cruise on the HD.

On Topic - I love the paintjob on that bike. It looks awesome on the RK
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:56 PM   #35
alii1959
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
My '04 RKC has cruise. Man-o-man is that nice on a long ride. Hand gets tired...slap it on and you are good to go. I find that makes very long days a lot more enjoyable....especially for those of us with bad hands.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #36
Mountain Cruiser OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD10563 View Post
I thought the same thing for 30 years, I use it often sometimes when just riding through a town where the speed goes from 55 mph to 35 mph where PD tends to wait. ABS and Cruise are options I want after having it for the last four years, I got it not becuase I wanted it but because I lived in Hawaii and thats what was available on the bike I wanted and unless I waited six weeks for another bike it's what I got. Took me a while to really like it and use it, I use it a lot now I even use it to bump my speed up or down a few mph easier than rolling on or off the throttle. My hand for the most part is still on the grip so I can override it when I want or increase speed and then let he CC bring me back to the speed I was at, might be complicated I don't know it's never failed. It was pretty useless in Hawaii and in high traffic areas, but where I live now I use it on every ride.

Overly expensive? It's less than $300.... I could spend that on lunch for a month.

Mountain Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #37
0ldhippie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Road King is maybe the most verseable bike in Harley's lineup. I've had two. Light/nimble enough (OK not light or nimble but in Harley terms...) for around town plus the twisties and plenty comfortable enough for cross country. Plus Harley has that crazy aftermarket support and dealer network. There is the whole making a slow bike feel fast, fun and kool that Harley really has down too. I need one in the stable and if it has to only one bike it would be a Harley tourer. In my old age a roadglide but in my younger days a roadking.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:44 PM   #38
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricemannv View Post
Overly expensive? It's less than $300.... I could spend that on lunch for a month.

I never used the words expensive or overly
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 88k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:29 AM   #39
Mountain Cruiser OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD10563 View Post
I never used the words expensive or overly

Oh yeah, sorry. It was another guy...

Old 01-24-2013, 03:20 AM   #40
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608

Mine is an 04 Classic. While I would have preferred the hard bags, I've no real complaints about the soft. Well, other than I can't use the cheap lowering kits for the rear I suppose.

Has cruise control, which is highly addictive. It works well. I've used various throttle locks for many years on various bikes, and have no complaints about them. But this cruise control... Oh sweet!

Coming from a Jap bike background, I was very surprised at how fitable a Harley is (check out their fit shop on line), and how cheap the changes are, compared to say modifying a Wing.

I've a reach saddle on it, which is comfy for me, but the passenger seat just looks goofy to my eyes. As I ride solo 99.9% of the time, I'll probably get a solo seat eventually. Replacement bars for better fit, just have to go to the dealership some time and experiment with the different ones. And I'll try the 12" shorter rear shocks.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:05 AM   #41
Laromonster
Vesperado !

Oddometer: 1,286
My trusty '99

'91 Vespa PX 200E "Lusso"
'05 KTM 640 ADV "Fatman"
'99 HD FLHRCI "Leviathan"
Laromonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:15 AM   #42
marshrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
My 2000. 87K miles of smiles.
marshrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:52 PM   #43
Mountain Cruiser OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
My dad and I were talking last fall and he was wondering if it's about time to rebuild my bikes. 16,000 on the Road King and 21,000 on the Sportster.
A twin cam 103 should be able to make 100,000 miles with no problem before needing overhaul. It's likely that it can go longer than that...

Old 01-24-2013, 02:53 PM   #44
Mountain Cruiser OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshrat View Post
My 2000. 87K miles of smiles.

Nice. Are those stock bars? If not, what kind are they?

Old 01-24-2013, 03:08 PM   #45
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,311
I like my Cop Bike Road King ( FLHPI ). It's an 03. I like mostly for the convience of the thing. Easy to operate and the best saddle bags ever. The cop air cushion seat is the best. I added 08 Brembo front brakes to make it even better. A great dependable bike for just tooling around and commuting:

This however, is a lot more fun and has a TON of features for almost the same money:

Consider a Sport Touring bike before pulling the trigger on the Harley.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote