User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 09:35 PM   #1
brentd OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
What bike to get after an XT225?

I just wanted to get some input on what to get for my next play bike. I don't know what it is about the beat up 2005 xt225 I got to teach my wife how to ride but I just love it. I currently have a xr650r and previously owned a dr350 (dirt model) and don't get me wrong I like them both but there's just something about that stupid XT that I prefer to ride it. I like the nimble feeling and slow speed control I have over the xt225 that I just don't feel with the bigger enduros. My only complaint is I would like more power and maybe a little less weight. I prefer slower speed technical riding over the fast desert stuff, but I want the ability to do both. So my question is where should I go from here? People talk about how great the KTM 200exc is as a woods bike but does that mean I'd be able to maneuver it at slow speed like I can the XT? Then there are all of the trials hybrid bikes (ossa explorer, t-ride, x-ride, pampera, alp, ktm freeride, etc) but they are very hard to come by and expensive in the US. How about an old twin shock trials bike? I'm sure they are along the lines of what I want but I doubt there is much of a performance increase from the xt. Its unfortunate that its so difficult to test ride motorcycles and get a feel for them. I was hoping someone has been down this road before and can offer some advice. I appreciate any input.
brentd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
Whee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentd View Post
I just wanted to get some input on what to get for my next play bike. I don't know what it is about the beat up 2005 xt225 I got to teach my wife how to ride but I just love it. I currently have a xr650r and previously owned a dr350 (dirt model) and don't get me wrong I like them both but there's just something about that stupid XT that I prefer to ride it. I like the nimble feeling and slow speed control I have over the xt225 that I just don't feel with the bigger enduros. My only complaint is I would like more power and maybe a little less weight. I prefer slower speed technical riding over the fast desert stuff, but I want the ability to do both. So my question is where should I go from here? People talk about how great the KTM 200exc is as a woods bike but does that mean I'd be able to maneuver it at slow speed like I can the XT? Then there are all of the trials hybrid bikes (ossa explorer, t-ride, x-ride, pampera, alp, ktm freeride, etc) but they are very hard to come by and expensive in the US. How about an old twin shock trials bike? I'm sure they are along the lines of what I want but I doubt there is much of a performance increase from the xt. Its unfortunate that its so difficult to test ride motorcycles and get a feel for them. I was hoping someone has been down this road before and can offer some advice. I appreciate any input.

No replies? I am in the same situation except with a DRZ. I keep following my friends into tighter & more technical terrain & its getting overwhelming & I keep injuring myself. I would love to get something plated but that doesn't seem to be possible here in Hawaii. I was looking at a 2005 Gas Gas Pampera 280 for sale but I read that the suspension isn't great & the frame is weak. . . .
Whee is offline   Reply With Quote