User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2015, 07:22 PM   #1
shredxcam OP
Cam

Oddometer: 55
Tomos Fauxmos Build

I am new here, first thread. This site has so much awesome posts and sections. Normally i post on Mopedaarmy and have a build thread their but this site seems better for information and ride post. Im USAF active duty, h-60 avionics maintainer. Work, Full time college and having 2 kids makes it hard to wrench on the weekends but i try. This is my first big project of anytime out side of work.

Now to the bike. Over the past few months i have been building up my 1987 tomos top tank moped. It no longer has a moped motor and is more motorcycle now? Originally i bought it back in 2008? ish and never got it running. title issues in illinois and what not, so it sat for years. Enter the year 2012. I was now USAF and living in vegas. I took the bike out and did the minimum work to get it running and riding. Sent the motor to a guy to split the case and put in some gaskets and seals in the trans and bottom end. Got it back running and semi tuned. It was still pretty rough. Rust and corrosion. The original paint went from a cherry red to orange. Decals missing and suspension was worn. I rode it for 2-3 months after i got it going. Slowly doing upgrades. New tires, brakes, cables. Small stuff here and there. Started riding it 15 miles to work across town. Realized i needed more bottom end to get thru a section over a bridge with traffic. So i sanded the head down to get more compression, new piston and rings. Re-geared it but that was too much gear. At this point it was a stock motor pretty much, stock carb and intake with a BI-turbo tuned pipe. The original motor was a A3, which has a lower first gear and has no reed block like newer ones, old points ignition but 12v accessory. Top speed was 31-34 mph. Got about 80-100 MPG running wide open everywhere. Even still had my pedals.I had added turn signals to be safer/legal-er. Brighter head light bulb.

Thats how she looked. Always rode with a milk crate on the back on the luggage rack to hold my helmet when parked and random junk when riding. Under seat storage held small things since i had removed the oil injection. It was crap and dead anyway. So i rode it over the summer, took it around town, down some gravel roads and trail. Had a blast, even with a mostly stock and worn out bike. Then one day will exploring an off road area north of town, bout 10 miles from home she just died. Wouldn't run over 10 mph and just limped. Had the wife come rescue me. Not about to pedal 8 miles with hills and busy roads home.

got it home and trouble shot it down to a condenser. Then about a week later, a rock or something jammed up the flywheel, and it tore up the Keying for it to the crank (name of it escapes me now). At that point i was bummed, low on cash and could not source a new flywheel. Spent a couple months, got snaked on a deal for a modern motor. Was pissed so i just stopped. Over the next few years i tried selling the bike to no avail, really wanted to get away from the ol 1987 motor. I was pissed at it.

Fast Forward to 2015 spring. Discovered the monster moped Fauxmos kit. It is a motor mount/bracket setup to mount a crf50 style (can't think of motor designation) motor to a tomos frame. People have done it in the past. Most the moped army will burn you at the stake for it. It really intrigued me cause for a decent price i could get a motor that is readily available with tons of aftermarket support. I searched about and looked up parts and what not and decided to try and do it. I had minimal tools, and not much time as i was trying to separate from active duty to air national guard.

So i started tearing down the bike.

this bike was my inspiration. i loved the look, knobby tires and all but i didn't want to run a tomos 2 stroke. I wanted a Lifan/honda motor.

First step was corrosion inspection and repair. This is what i do for a living pretty much on helicopters. Wire wheeling, sanding and removing paint rust and what ever else i found. The bike sat in an old storage shed that was rusting out before i bought it. Since i owned it tho it sat in a climate controlled environment.

here you can see what kind of rust and pitting i was finding. This was the worst of it. This is the swing arm btw.

the inner fenders were pretty pitted but its alright cause you can't see it. I cleaned it up as best i could. In the end it will get Bed lined/ undercoated and painted.

got sick of sanding and wire wheeling so i restored my headlight housing. Just light sanding and sprayed it with rustoleum plastic paint gloss black. Turned out to look like brand new if not better.

shredxcam screwed with this post 03-23-2015 at 07:40 PM
shredxcam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:52 PM   #2
shredxcam OP
Cam

continuing

At this point i decided to try and save my old rear blinkers. When the bike broke down i thru it in the back of my wives 2011 ford fiesta and smashed them both to pieces. So i attempted to plastic weld what pieces i had left to save them. I was being cheap and didn't want to spend 15$ on a new set of 4. Then last week i bought a set for 13$ used.......

started to take shape again. Didn't need perfection but a good 10 foot job would be cool. Heck as long as they work fine i was cool with it.

I had repaired my fairing also, had a chunk scraped out of it and the bolt mounts were torn up. Layed down some primer till i could come up with a paint scheme.

then i scored this box luckily on Craiglist as i didn't even own a tool box. Came with a big top piece that i sold to make half my money back. Paid 100$ for both pieces.

My OCD coming out. At work this is how all our boxes are setup so i did the same at home. Everything has a place so it cannot be lost.

Back to the Bike.

Random work on the brakes.

then i tore apart my wheels. Stoked to find out i had sealed wheel bearing already. Stock was loose. But rust was bad inside the brake drum/hub area.

Was Able to clean up the outside alright. Could polish it if i was determined enough but the spokes are never going to be shined again nor will the outer rim. Too much pitting, rust and what not.

The blinkers turned out way better than expected. Totally useable. The brake plates were also looking nice.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:24 PM   #3
Salsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Keep up the good work. On public forums you will have to call it a track bike because it will go almost twice the legal limit (30 mph in most states). You would not like to have breaking the law in print.

How do I know it will go that fast?

Here is a "Track Moped".

Don
Attached Images

Salsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:28 PM   #4
shredxcam OP
Cam

part 3

So at this point i started just priming everything that was bare metal. To protect it incase it gets abandoned. My garage is small and Packed full of junk. Being military, moving at anytime is always a possibility. Plus i have 2 kids worth of toys and junk stored in here also.

So at this point with the frame i didn't know how to preserve or protect the paper/foil vin tags. Old tomos's had no VIN stamped, only this crappy sticker. So i played it extra safe to not paint over it or damage it.

Randomly galaxy printed/crap sprayed my fairing. Didn't know how to go with it. wasn't sure on a paint scheme. Mainly drunk and bored. It is still like this pretty much

Well at this point my palace chase (application to separate and joint guard) was denied so i was in it for the long haul. Not separating for 2 more years so i went full commitment on the Tomos. Order and received my monster mopeds Engine mount kit. Highly recommend it. Powder coated black, good instructions and strong. Comes with a drilling template, the paper cutting templates, Engine Plate and all associated hardware.

this is the drilling template bolted up. i was scared to cut the frame till i got a motor in hand. You cannot screw up any drilling on the fauxmos kit.

More paint on the fairing, you can see some lines i didn't sand out, what ever. 10 foot job. i hate body work.....

holes drilled, mounted up the engine plate.

sanded off the old stickers on the tank. then taped off some areas to ay down primer and see how i wanted to roll with paint.

committed.

wheels primed and put aside assembled. had new brake shoes in them.

after the tank dried i really liked the look. This was just primer to see if i liked it or if i should repaint the entire tank. i really wanted to show off some of the original red and how it faded orange.

scored a newer style swing arm, no having to worry about tire size or that old corroded one. Also got new rims forks and triple tree clamps.

New parts mocked up. The swing arm bolt needed clearance with the motor plate. eventually drilled a hole for it so it doesn't contact or rub.

Then my motor came. I regretfully ordered it from pccmotors, 86CC 4 speed lifan clone of some sort with a knock of pz22 carburetor. Price was right but yea. company is junk and the carb is junk. Motor is alright tho and came with carb, intake, CDI, wiring and odds and ends.

Carb i regret ordering included with the motor. Should of just gotten a true Mikuni or name brand anything.

Knock off exhaust which arrived scratched but didn't care. Its really really cheap and cheaply made. Eventually i want to build my own anyway. this will get me down the road.

Mounted up a 2.50x16 tire i had never mounted before. sat in my garage for years. Was able to see my clearance on my fender here which was nice and i could roll the bike around now too.

Hacked for a day straight, like 6-7 hours iirc to get the motor mounted. Had to cut the frame and what not. Worked my butt off. I had modified my kickstand to work with it. In the end my kick stand mod was bad and it bent, eventually tho it was fixed a better way.

Then i chopped and mounted my rear fender, really like how it came out.

Figuring out an exhaust/muffler bracket....

Then my first big problem. The carb. It wouldn't just flip forward and clear the head like the guys are doing with other motors/carbs like the lifan 125.

The bowl hits the head. Nothing i did would make it clear and if it mounts rearward it hits the frame big time. So i had to ponder a solution for a day or 2

Started messing around with license plate bracket/tail light bracket ideas. I had to plate it cause my home state is illinois which requires titles and plates on peds. Also was planning on running some sort of LED strip taillight/blinker and possibly not running big external blinkers.

I had drilled new holes to extend the kickstand and get clearance on the motor mount. this is the method that eventually failed.

started trying to figure out where to mount my CDI and my Coil. Stock locations would not work. These were some brackets that help motor covers originally. I couldn't decide how to do it. Some guys just zip tie the CDI to the motor plate and bolt the coil to random places. I wanted to hide them if possible, if not hide the wires at least.

then a carb solution. i used the drilling template to fab up an intake spacer to rotate the carb out a few degrees. Spent a few hours making a cardboard template, than moved to metal. All i had to do this was my bench grinder, small drill bits and some files.

yes that bolt looks sketchy, this was only preliminary mock up and design, final version has an allen bolt that goes down all the way and looks decent.

Since i had switched to modern hydro forks, my old sprung fork head light brackets didnt fit. So i cut them and modded them to hold the front together.

I then made a cardboard template for my plateholder and lights. I had gotten my Vermont Plate for my ped. I was liking the look, under the top would conceal a white LED strip to shine on the plate and on top i would mount some LEDS for tail and blinkers.

Painted the fenders, undercoated the under sides to protect against corrosion and rocks. Undercoated the rear rack for grip and the swing arm.

received a box of parts, regulator rectifier and misc parts. I was look on where to mount all this.

New wider and lower handlebars. I am keeping the extra wide now. Seems comfy. I am 6" tall with really wide wing span so it feels good to me.

played with some paint......

Old 03-23-2015, 08:49 PM   #5
shredxcam OP
Cam

part 4?

so this was my final design so far on the tank. I plan to outline the black in white pinstripe. Monster moped logos. Will add tomos logos eventually.

Final paint an assembly, at least i hope so. Some stuff will still change, shocks, needs wiring and what not.

Lacing up wiring like a boss.

Added my trail tech vapor, had to make brackets as the brackets that come with it mount it too close to the bars and you can't hardly see it.

exhaust clamped to the rack with an adel clamp. looks good and is secure.

plate bracket fabbed up. made it from some scrap sheet metal with some 3$ walmart tin snips and bent on my bench by hand. turned out pretty good i think

finished up my wiring nightmare. Its still not complete. I do aircraft wiring for a living but this was harder? because i had to make it all from scratch and there was nothing pre existing or real diagrams to follow. I still have to seal harnesses and add my battery and what not. At this point i screwed up, didn't realize i needed a battery, had something grounded wrong and blew up a head light, blinker and may have fried my led tail light. i plan on doubling up the tail light strip eventually. Can't decide if i should add big ugly stock style rear blinkers too off the sides of the rack.

I had moved out side to start running it and tuning it. I accidentally dumped half a gallon of premix not paying attention in it. Ran alright and didn't smoke. The oil was mixed 100-1 iirc and was high end oil. What ever. Carb was being a pain in the neck. I did add a fuel filter don't worry. I just had to find it. Spent a few days messing with it. Couldn't find jets for it. May have found a source. Anyway at this point it idles good. and runs pretty good. May need one richer main jet. Settings are air screw 1 ish turn out. Needle is most rich (bottom setting), ran good at 1 up but i went rich just cause I'm a sissy and really down want to blow her up. Idles is 2 turns out iirc. Jets are pilot 32 and main 83. So far i have ridden it maybe 5-10 miles around base at 25 mph max. dialed in my vapor with a GPS for speed.

Neighbor has a vinyl printer so she made me some logos. Factory replacement ones are wayyyy to much $$$ so i just did these. for free.99 i cannot complain. Did some plug chops. Seems to be rich if anything but runs pretty good. I am not use to the reverse (at least to me ) pattern transmission. Had a heck of a time finding neutral at first like WTF?

Also added new shocks in there somewhere.

So at this point, i need a battery, another brake light strip, finish wiring 100%. One of the tank cover panels. and maybe some new tires. The new front one has a weird bump spot, factory defect? but i can't return it cause it is a few years old. I plan on adding a phone charger and phone mount, for maps and wiring my vapor to the battery.

I would like to fix up or buy some new spoke rims, and run knobbys for desert crusing/exploring.

Eventually, eventually i would like a real mikuni carb, custom better exhaust, custom intake, some porting and polishing, Disk brakes, rear brake pedal. And eventually x3 i would like longer/better forks and shocks.

We will see how the motor holds up as this will be my daily to work and back, i only work 3-4 miles away. This has been my first big ground up car/bike project like this. Learning alot and testing my skills along the way.

o yea forgot, currently has a 16t front and 28t rear sprockets. Which puts me at 55+ mph which is waaaayyyyyy to fast. It still has bottom end but i don't want it to go over 50 cruise at 45mph. My ride to work is mostly 15-25 with one 45 mph sprint and if i cruise around town. After all it is a moped kinda. Plus drum brakes... I don't want a speed machine after all.

A lot of people bash my move to 4 stroke, i get it. In the beginning my buddy had a 4 stroke honda ruckus he was riding and i was riding this with the stock motor. he was also 49cc. His was faster, and way more reliable and comfortable. I wanted some of that reliability, and speed he had. Plus upgrade my suspension to ride wayyy better.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:29 AM   #6
shredxcam OP
Cam

yea i get ya

wheres the rest of my post?! i spent an hour and made 3 more post to this
Old 03-24-2015, 01:30 PM   #7
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 5,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredxcam View Post
yea i get ya

wheres the rest of my post?! i spent an hour and made 3 more post to this
Welcome to ADVrider!

Copy your post before you submit
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:17 PM   #8
shredxcam OP
Cam

Gah. Mabye this weekend I'll re type all of it. Spent at least an hour

The bikes almost done. Just ordered my battery and last part I needed
Old 03-24-2015, 03:16 PM   #9
JohninVT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredxcam View Post
Gah. Mabye this weekend I'll re type all of it. Spent at least an hour

The bikes almost done. Just ordered my battery and last part I needed
Cool! Can't wait to see how it comes out.
JohninVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:38 PM   #10
shredxcam OP
Cam

sneak peak....
Old 03-25-2015, 05:32 PM   #11
shredxcam OP
Cam

sanded down and primed. looks alright

working on the wheels. brakes and what not. Stoked to find it was already converted to sealed bearings and that they were in good shape.

lights turned out pretty good. was going for a 10 foot job

primed brake plate looks good
Old 03-27-2015, 03:44 PM   #12
shredxcam OP
Cam

So every time I write s long post with pictures it says waiting for a mod to approve then never shows up here

If I only do 1pic per post I can post

Last of my parts should be in
Old 03-27-2015, 08:30 PM   #13
Samtech79
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Nice. I'm the guy who built your inspiration.
Samtech79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:01 PM   #14
shredxcam OP
Cam

]]

heres the final product!? i need to post the chronicles but yea issues

DUDE I LOVE YOUR BIKE

for years I've thought of building mine lol i want your front fender for when i mount my knobbies.

So......

bike has a batter, 1.4 amp hour. really small just to keep lights on while idling and from dimming. haven't calculated my usage yet to see how long it'll last. Need another LED strip for the tail. Blew out my brake/running segments being an idiot. Have a phone charger under the seat. My rear turn signals flash due to an internal circuit in the LED circuitry but the fronts won't blink. I need a resistor or something to add a load to the flasher relay. At 14-16 volts it flashes, how every many amps that is drawing. Also need an oil temp probe for the vapor. Currently has a head temp on the plug. And i want fat tires but these have no miles so ill probably run em for a while.

Running 31t rear and 16t front sprocket. No clue on speeds, but will do at least 15 in first but probably revved out at 30 ish?!
Old 03-27-2015, 10:02 PM   #15
shredxcam OP
Cam

35w/35w head light

have a 40w/45w to put in eventually.