User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 02:39 PM   #1
HellSickle OP
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,118
Weld on foot peg extensions?

I need longer pegs, and I want to weld on the existing 990 pegs. I'm not impressed with the stuff I'm seeing out there. I certainly don't want to hassle with the drill & bolt on variety. Anyone have a recommendation?

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 8,711
I bought the bolt on extensions from Craig at CJ Designs.

I bought these over a longer replacement peg because the extensions are designed to shear away the 3 bolts that fasten them to the stock pegs.

This then protects the frame mount from being broken off due to excessive leverage a longer peg would exert during a tipover or crash. Welding extensions on would put you in the same situation of using pegs from Fastway or another mfg.

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:20 PM   #3
cjracer
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,937
weld -on options can be found here.
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:26 PM   #4
HellSickle OP
Scone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer View Post
weld -on options can be found here.
Thanks CJ. No doubt good stuff, but I'm trying to rein in my 990 budget.

For $30, I'm inclined to go with these, but would have to add some minimal ribbing to keep them from collapsing on the first drop. \

They appear to be designed to make foot pegs wider and longer, I would get the 1 1/2" width (stock pegs are 1 7/8" width) and cut them shorter to weld onto the end of my pegs. I'm thinking a large steel washer would give adequate trussing.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
cjracer
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,937
Perfect. I understand. Post some info on those.

Would save me lots of time on the CNC.
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 3,855
All ktm footpegs from about 2000 on up are the same. Buy a set from the interweb. Cut your stock pegs in half with a hack saw (easier than you would think) and have them welded together.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #7
Hobbes950
Darth Kitten

Oddometer: 3,122
I bought a pair like that here. Two stock pegs, one cut in half and welded together. Ugly as hell but I love 'em. Sure that they could be made prettier than mine. I don't mind because my bike and I have KTM hearts and KLR souls.

My Ride Reports
Hobbes950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #8
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,856
Speaking of ugly as hell but functional. . . . I did these last year for my LC4 (1999, and to upgrade the footpegs I would have had to buy a new footpeg bracket as well as new pegs):

They work fine, I just took a 1" x 1/8" mild steel strap, drilled a bunch of holes down the center, and then cut it into 2 strips through the holes, welded it on with plenty of bracing.

Does anyone know if the stock pegs are hardened/tempered or if they're just mild steel? I had someone tell me that he had done this before (on different bikes), and he would wear the teeth flat pretty quick using mild steel. This bike is more a travel bike than a dirt bike, so it hasn't been a problem. But it might be worth it to get some 1095 steel and harden/temper the whole thing after welding if you want to do a good job of it.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #9
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes950 View Post
.... I don't mind because my bike and I have KTM hearts and KLR souls.

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:09 PM   #10
HellSickle OP
Scone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes950 View Post
I bought a pair like that here. Two stock pegs, one cut in half and welded together. Ugly as hell but I love 'em. Sure that they could be made prettier than mine. I don't mind because my bike and I have KTM hearts and KLR souls.
I've put out a call for used foot pegs. Being an engineer, I am an inherent tight wad.

Barring any used pegs showing up, I will go with the $30 options, and put in some extra support for the loop off the end. I liked the option of drilling a strip of mild steel & cutting it down the middle, but the pre-made $30 option wins out, especially since I abhor all that drilling and cutting without the proper tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
I bought the bolt on extensions from Craig at CJ Designs.

I bought these over a longer replacement peg because the extensions are designed to shear away the 3 bolts that fasten them to the stock pegs.

This then protects the frame mount from being broken off due to excessive leverage a longer peg would exert during a tipover or crash. Welding extensions on would put you in the same situation of using pegs from Fastway or another mfg.
No offense, but the concept of bolts shearing sounds like so much marketing hoo-haw. An extra 1.5 inches on a folding/bendable foot peg will make a difference, but I have a hard time envisioning the "perfect crash" where a welded peg is going to be measurably different from a bolted on extension.

HellSickle screwed with this post 01-22-2013 at 06:19 PM
Old 01-22-2013, 06:14 PM   #11
HellSickle OP
Scone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer View Post
Perfect. I understand. Post some info on those.

Would save me lots of time on the CNC.
Works Connection.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #12
Hondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
I've put out a call for used foot pegs. Being an engineer, I am an inherent tight wad.

Barring any used pegs showing up, I will go with the $30 options, and put in some extra support for the loop off the end. I liked the option of drilling a strip of mild steel & cutting it down the middle, but the pre-made $30 option wins out, especially since I abhor all that drilling and cutting without the proper tools.

No offense, but the concept of bolts shearing sounds like so much marketing hoo-haw. An extra 1.5 inches on a folding/bendable foot peg will make a difference, but I have a hard time envisioning the "perfect crash" where a welded peg is going to be measurably different from a bolted on extension.
I had it happen on the rocks of Saxton Mtn........

Old 01-22-2013, 09:16 PM   #13
HellSickle OP
Scone Rider

Quote:
I had it happen on the rocks of Saxton Mtn........
okay. What kind of foot pegs did you have on when you broke the frame?

Old 01-22-2013, 09:24 PM   #14
Hondo

Pivot Pegs on the KLR650 that I sold.

I was following Geek up a section of loose rock & he stopped, I put my feet down nothing there, and over it went. Ripped the peg mount right off the frame.

Now this was on a KLR650 with normal length Pivot Pegs. Those pegs didn't fold all the way up & the big pig just ripped them off (didn't hurt the pegs at all though).

So I rode it up to the top without a peg & then borrowed some vise grips and used that as a peg to get down the mountain & west to Silverthorne (where I got the peg mount welded back on to the frame).

So when I saw CJ's extensions and read about the shearing of the hardware in case of a drop/crash, I thought that it would be worth a try. I have dropped it on each side in sand & dirt with no ill effects, and I figure that I'll drop the 990 in the rocks sooner or later.....

I really like them - YMMV

Old 01-23-2013, 07:42 AM   #15
HellSickle OP
Scone Rider

Quote:
Pivot Pegs on the KLR650 that I sold.

I was following Geek up a section of loose rock & he stopped, I put my feet down nothing there, and over it went. Ripped the peg mount right off the frame.

Now this was on a KLR650 with normal length Pivot Pegs. Those pegs didn't fold all the way up & the big pig just ripped them off (didn't hurt the pegs at all though).

So I rode it up to the top without a peg & then borrowed some vise grips and used that as a peg to get down the mountain & west to Silverthorne (where I got the peg mount welded back on to the frame).
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, KLRs are pretty weak mild steel frames. From our data point of one, I will conclude that pivot pegs on KLRs following Geek in the rocks are a weak point.

Quote:
I figure that I'll drop the 990 in the rocks sooner or later.....
That point would be irrelevant for me. I don't plan to ever drop my 990 in the rocks. I also plan to live forever.

So far, so good.