User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 07:38 AM   #1
stevemd OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
KLR250: How to Remove Front Brake Pads?

On the caliper, there is a rubber plug sticking out below the fluid line banjo. Am I supposed to pull that plug out and then unscrew the caliper guide pin inside, flip the caliper out and up?

stevemd screwed with this post 03-04-2013 at 08:43 AM
stevemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:48 AM   #2
thomas.tc.young
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
No, those two Allen bots on the left side, where the caliper attaches to the fork, are meant to be removed. Those rubber plugs are where the slider arms are. Post pics here of your process, brakes are very important and since your new at changing your pads but want to do them yourself at least post pics so we can tell you if you did anything wrong. Also get the service manual.
thomas.tc.young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:53 AM   #3
stevemd OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas.tc.young View Post
No, those two Allen bots on the left side, where the caliper attaches to the fork, are meant to be removed. Those rubber plugs are where the slider arms are. Post pics here of your process, brakes are very important and since your new at changing your pads but want to do them yourself at least post pics so we can tell you if you did anything wrong. Also get the service manual.
Thanks. I have the service manual on CD but it is the supplement, not the base one where stuff like this is. I did try getting those allen bolts loose but they must be in there with locktite. I will try heating them carefully with a small hand torch that uses a cig. lighter.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:02 AM   #4
thomas.tc.young
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
I wouldn't heat them up too much, not sure on what effect it'll have but there are rubber parts in the caliper. I would use your Allen key and add a bit of pipe at the end for some more leverage. those two allenbolgs when removed will remove the whole caliper assembly. From there you remove the pads, and install new ones. You might have to push the piston inside the caliper back in as it could be a bit to far out to install new pads with a lot of meat
thomas.tc.young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:23 AM   #5
stevemd OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas.tc.young View Post
I wouldn't heat them up too much, not sure on what effect it'll have but there are rubber parts in the caliper. I would use your Allen key and add a bit of pipe at the end for some more leverage. those two allenbolgs when removed will remove the whole caliper assembly. From there you remove the pads, and install new ones. You might have to push the piston inside the caliper back in as it could be a bit to far out to install new pads with a lot of meat
Yep, will have to be careful around rubber boots, etc. on there. I've done car brakes many times so am aware of the process. If the pads are really worn, pushing the piston in far enough for the new pads might result in an over-full master cylinder.