User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #1
CanadaBiker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
'77 R100 brake cable question

I rebuilt my front brake, including new piston, seals, and pads, as well as a Speigler SS brake line. So far, the lever feels great (too bloody cold to test drive). I was trying to adjust the lever and the cable where it meets the MC under the tank.

First, I can't use a feeler gauge to determine any gap on the MC plunger as per the manual, since the plunger is concaved where the little pusher rod meets it, same where the pusher rod meets the cable actuated arm. I just made sure there was a tiny bit of free movement before the pusher rod actually affects the MC plunger?

Second, I checked for lever adjustment, but my cable doesn't have any threads where it goes into the lever housing. Is this normal? The manual says to loosen the lock 'nut' and then screw the end of the cable in and out as needed. I tried looking on the fiche to see if it should have threads, but I couldn't tell. The manual certainly seems to suggest it.

Thanks!

CanadaBiker screwed with this post 05-27-2013 at 12:04 PM
CanadaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,277
The end of the cable and locknut are located below the gas tank on the master cylinder. Also, there are no threads where the cable goes into the brake hand lever. As such, the front brake cable needs to be adjusted with the tank removed.

The feeler gauge gap at the MC and need for a special tool is another artifact propagated in both the manual and on the internet. Some gap or slack is needed in the cable to prevent pre-load on the brakes but no 'special tool' is needed. Adjust the cable end screwed into the MC to allow some slack in the cable to prevent the brakes dragging.
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:33 PM   #3
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,977
What Stan said. +1

When I did this it seemed that there was just no way to get the adjustment wrong. As long as there was a bit of free play, it was right.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote