Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2010, 12:34 PM   #1
Memnok OP
Fly high, go far.

Oddometer: 347
Mariposa, Briceburg, Buck Medows, and Sonora in a day.

This year my boys are finally old enough to both be is school for full days, so to celebrate my newly found extra time, I decided to take a ride. My normal riding buddy is not that fond of giant loops with lots of slab, so I took the opportunity to attempt a loop I'd been wanting to do for a long time, Highway 140 to Highway 108 via the forest.

I got a bit of a late start in the morning. I hadn't really decided yet if I was going to ride, or if I was helping out on some unfinished projects (mine and others). But after a couple phone calls and text messages, I had the go ahead to ride.

I packed my gear bag, checked the oil, and brought the tires up to about 24 psi each. Riding solo, i feel preventing pinch flats is a better triad off that gaining a small amount of traction. I hit the road just after 9:30am and headed out East Ave from Turlock.

I headed out through Snelling, and up to Hornitos. I stopped for a couple quick snap shots:

I continued up Hornitos Road to Old Toll Road. It's a short cut to Highway 49, and I've always wanted to take this short ride. The road it fun, but stay on your toes as I passed several large gravel trucks headed the opposite direction.

Once in Mariposa I made a planned fuel stop at the corner mini-mart. I took the opportunity to call my wife and check in, and grab some water.

Fuel tank topped off, and wife fully updated, I headed up Hwy 140 to my insertion point, Briceburg. It's been a while since I've been on this potion of Hwy 140, so it was a nice drive down. When I reached Briceburg the parking lot was almost empty. It would be a great place to park for those who prefer to truck up to the riding.

A couple shots of the bridge at Briceburg:

From above, after riding up the switch backs:

About two years ago this area had a large fire, I believe it was the Telegraph Hill fire. After the fire the gates at Briceburg were closed for quite some time. You can still see evidence of the fire all over.

Lots of burned manzanita and trees, but life is slowly returning to the area. Not too far off you leave the burned area behind and things look much more natural. There are two of three steeper sections that are rutted, but with care, a big bike rider could make his way down with little difficulty. The steepness never seems to come out in photos, does it?

Out of the burned area, and back into more familiar surroundings:

Gear shot:

Along the way I came across some bovine having a conference in the roadway.

I've heard of road hogs, but these bovine didn't seem to want to let me by. As soon as I moved in there direction, they darted off down the road, and wouldn't pull off to let me by! I think I followed them for about 1/4 mile before the scattered into the trees on a curve.

Not too long after leaving my bovine road partners I got my first sighting of Hwy 120.

I hit Hwy 120 and headed down the hill to the Buck Meadows General Store for fuel and a soda.

With a full tank, I headed to Ferretti road and down to the Tuolumne River via FR 1N10. I'd ridden this road before, but it's a nice ride, and I knew it would get me off the pavement. This area is popular with the river rafting crowd, so be aware that you will come across more traffic that on your average forest road. There are two camp grounds on 1N10 where it meets with the Tuolumne River, the Lumsden Campground, and the Southfork Campground. Both have a vault toilet, but that's about it. No water or power.

After crossing the Lumsden bridge and heading back up the other side you will come across the Jaw Bone ranger station at NF 1N04. There was nobody home today, but a long long time ago there was a ranger stationed here.

I found this nice shaded stream to stop and take a quick photo:

Not long after I ran into a locked gate at N37 56.082 W119 58.651. I hate locked gates.

I turned back and got onto a small paved road, NF 3N01. I tried several times to get back onto my initial track, but was thwarted at every turn by dead ends and downed trees.

I did find a couple cool camps with vault toilets where a group of ADV's could make base for a day for two of exploring:

What's this??!!! Someone has been getting freaky in the forest!

Hmm, I better see if it still works...

Yup, your commin' home with me.

Onward, and running into more downed trees:

Along NF 2N66 (a dead end) I located what appears to be the scene of a horrific crime. It would appear that the poor soles in this vehicle were ambushed in a hale of gunfire. God rest there soles.

Well, by this time it was almost 4pm, and I was getting tired, and sorta discouraged by the dead ends and downed trees. After backtracking to Cottonwood Road I descided to make haste on the slab to Tuolumne City. I fueled up in Sonora, and headed down Hwy 108. I didn't plan on riding Red Hills, but I always take the wrong friggen' turn looking for Rock River Road. Oh well, I figured since I was in the area, I'd hit a little more dirt.

I finally made it to Rock River Road and opened her up along the open dirt sections to eat some miles. Almost home now, I took the Roberts Ferry bridge to Lake Road and into Hickman. I took the canal from Hickman back to Turlock, passing a Sheriff's SUV about half way. I slowed down to see if he was gonna stop me, but he never moved. About 4 blocks from home I passed Lasher jogging on the canal. I gave him the ADV salute, and a bit of dust to remind him of how much fun it is following me on the trail.

All total, the entire ride was 259 miles, and took about 8 hours, 45 minutes. If anyone is interested in the GPS files, I have zipped up both the GPS and GDB files for you to download here. Or, you can click here for an interactive Google Maps view. Here is a general view of the ride:

EDIT: Added Google Maps link.

----------------------------------
Good government is no substitute for self-government. Mahatma Gandhi

That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves. - Thomas Jefferson

Memnok screwed with this post 08-20-2010 at 03:52 PM
Memnok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:04 PM   #2
Lasherman
Ah Sh!t!

Oddometer: 199
I was wondering what that thing sticking out of your pack was.
Lasherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
BusyWeb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99

I also wonder what that stick for ???
BusyWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:01 PM   #4
Just_Sean
herewegoagain

Oddometer: 14,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyWeb

I also wonder what that stick for ???
Riding crop for horses.

Nice trails - I always wanted to grab a Topo map and see where I could go around there - thanks for the tracks
Just_Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
SilverFaux
never satisfied

Oddometer: 104
Could that ride be done on street tires?
Old 04-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
Memnok OP
Fly high, go far.

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFaux View Post
Could that ride be done on street tires?
I think the minimum you would want would be a 50/50 dual sport tire. A straight street tire would be no fun.

----------------------------------
Good government is no substitute for self-government. Mahatma Gandhi

That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves. - Thomas Jefferson
Memnok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #7
SilverFaux
never satisfied

Oddometer: 104
I figured as much. No way I can shoehorn anything bigger than a regular street tire under my plastic. thanks for the info and the RR. Looks like it was a good time.