User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
blueshoat OP
Carver

Oddometer: 74
Heated Grip Re-wrap...anyone done this?

Looking for a little guidance here. I buggered my heated grips by accidentally severing one the wires. I unwrapped everything (throttle side) and reattached the resistance wires using some crimped metal tubing...but alas...no heat.

The left side still works, but I can't get any heat on the throttle side. I've checked the connections at the main junction (the connector that branches the left and right side from the harness) and even switched the left with the right to see if it was just a bad connection. No go. Clues anyone? (Its a 1995 R1100RS).

I'm wondering if anyone has ever fully unwrapped the wires to re-tape everything with success. I can't figure out why this would not work...but maybe I'm missing something? Not in the mood to drop $103 on a new heated grip!

blueshoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
mwood7800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Been making my own heated grips for me and friends for several years. Wrap the stock grip with bare niochrome wire then heat shrink. Then foam covers. Takes longer to wire the switch than making grips.
mwood7800 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:33 PM   #3
blueshoat OP
Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwood7800 View Post
Been making my own heated grips for me and friends for several years. Wrap the stock grip with bare niochrome wire then heat shrink. Then foam covers. Takes longer to wire the switch than making grips.
Sounds llike you're the guy with the experience. Can I just use my existing resistance wires and re wrap everything?
Old 01-19-2013, 10:53 PM   #4
space
a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer: 2,591
I never trust DIY crimp connections. Especially when they're subjected to a lot of vibration.

Are you sure you have good continuity there? Either way, I'd suggest finding a good soldering iron and make sure.
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:33 AM   #5
jdub
Dawg bytes reel gud

Oddometer: 1,718
If the heated grips ever fail on my R12GSA, I plan on replacing them with this for $35. I'd installed this kit on my KLR and V-Strom, and it worked every bit as well as OEM BMW heated grips. Splicing into the bike's existing grip switch should be pretty easy.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:36 AM   #6
blueshoat OP
Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by space View Post
I never trust DIY crimp connections. Especially when they're subjected to a lot of vibration.

Are you sure you have good continuity there? Either way, I'd suggest finding a good soldering iron and make sure.
I'll try soldering and report back...
Old 01-20-2013, 07:38 AM   #7
blueshoat OP
Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub View Post
If the heated grips ever fail on my R12GSA, I plan on replacing them with this for $35. I'd installed this kit on my KLR and V-Strom, and it worked every bit as well as OEM BMW heated grips. Splicing into the bike's existing grip switch should be pretty easy.
Thanks for the lead. This looks like a possible plug and play alternative. Definitely my plan B.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #8
STUFF2C
We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer: 2,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub View Post

me too

I never plan a ride, just the destination and that's always subject to change.
STUFF2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:47 PM   #9
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
Not to hijack but a related question, on those $35 grip heater kit, how do you run the wires on the throttle side?

Out the end of the bars? Can you still run a hand system like bark busters?
Old 01-20-2013, 06:35 PM   #10
STUFF2C
We Ain't Left Yet!!

I ran mine in the end of the bar, then drilled a hole at the mid way point of the bars and fished the wires out there. don't see a way you can use anything that would install in the end of the bars after you install the aftermarket heaters.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #11
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 767
I use the cheapie grip heaters and they do fine. On the throttle side I run the wire to the inside and make a little bit of a channel in the grip for the wire to exit perpendicular to the bars, I then form a loop with enough length to allow the throttle to move full range and zip tie the wire in place.

Rocky Mountain had a grip heater blanket sale this fall, they were $9.99 a set. Bought two myself.
davek181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #12
Mike Ryder
Kriegerkuh

Oddometer: 893
I had trouble soldering the nichrome wire. In the end I used acid flux and 50/50.
The nichrome crumbles up with silver solder heat.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #13
STUFF2C
We Ain't Left Yet!!

I wrap the two wires together and then crimp them. do the same any time i need to crimp wires together, never a problem so far.
I NEVER use butt connectors where you push a wire in each end and crimp them. Always wrap them then use one end of the butt connector, works for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ryder View Post
I had trouble soldering the nichrome wire. In the end I used acid flux and 50/50.
The nichrome crumbles up with silver solder heat.