User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
SlowJoefromBako OP
Aint livin long like

Oddometer: 41
19 inch front rim how to?

I bent my front rim on barstow vegas and replaced the whole thing from rad hub rim everything. Now I have the stock hub, disks. I would like to set up the stock hub with a 19 incher for a more street tire and save the 21 for the dirt. The question is what rim, spoke combo? 19x2.15 or 19x2.50 I can lace and true wheels so I would like to do it as cheap as possible. Im sure im not the first to do this. Thanks 2011 990R
SlowJoefromBako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:39 AM   #2
zen rider
veteran rider

Oddometer: 207
Hi,
I'm not sure what your skill level is but the 19" is a great idea.

I just ordered a 19x2.5 Excel rim with new hub (from KTM Twins). I expect the 19" to give a more planted road feel. I'll run Pirelli Scorpion Trail 110/80VR19 up front. You could order a 19x2.5 Excel black wheel and lace kit for pretty cheap. I bet there are good YouTube videos of how to lace up. Expect to pay about $65-100 to have a shop lace the wheel plus parts.

Many people have used Woody's Wheel works with very good feedback. If you shipped your hub, he could lace it up and return it pretty quickly.

Check your local area for small shops that lace and true wheels and they could quote you on lacing the 19"
Old 01-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #3
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 871
Only way I know of is to get a custom drilled, euro indexed rim and new spokes from Rad or Buchanon since the stock hub is euro index.... Though it may be they can cheat the index saving you $ on a standard Jap patterned rim using different spoke lengths and bends on either side.

Personally, and I did the 19 years ago, I prefer having a stock width 21 with a more road friendly tire like a scorp or heidenau for dual sport mode and have a tougher narrow, I used the SE rim, with a more dirt friendly bit of rubber for when I'm riding with dlrides... The 19 really sucks in loose stuff, floats on top and makes it hard to turn...hated it. Great for on the road though.

Sporting Wood screwed with this post 01-21-2013 at 10:21 AM
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
dogsslober
No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer: 768
Buchanan spoke and rim

I went the Buchanan custom drilled Excell and there spokes. They only do silver, so sent it out to be anodized black. Laced myself. Pretty much the cheapest way to go.
dogsslober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #5
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,362
Contact MCMANN'S via PM , he has done it a couple of times with very good results
Old 01-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #6
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsslober View Post
I went the Buchanan custom drilled Excell and there spokes. They only do silver, so sent it out to be anodized black. Laced myself. Pretty much the cheapest way to go.
I did this. It worked out great. 19" front was too squirelly with stock marshmallow suspension, once the front suspension was fixed I really loved the 19.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote