Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #346
bash3r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanthepostman View Post
I'm currently trying to upload some helmet cam footage which should show it in few different terrains, but struggling with MOV file format. Can't find software to edit it... if anyone knows of any just let me know.

It was hard to say for sure how fast I got up to on the road as the speedo still needed calibrating. I'd say about 80-85mph. Top speed is said to be around 90. I think a good cruising speed would be 60, 65 maybe.

And yeah, totally stable. I mean, I'm not the most experienced rider on this kind of bike but I could push as hard as I wanted and I never felt it was trying to catch me out. There was a lot of grip, the suspension is firm, but not too firm, and the engine just seems to work better the harder its worked. What I liked about it off-road was how light it felt. And that tall first gear really suited it. I know there's been a lot of talk about it needing six gears but I can't say as I missed it.
Nathan if it's a GoPro you can use there CineStudio software, also if you are on a Mac use MPEG Streamclip(free). If its on Windows I'm not sure, someone else can chime in. Or upload it straight to YouTube and see if you can trim it there.

Thanks for your report, I put up a post on my website about your review too!

My ADV Website | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:32 PM   #347
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,592
Quote:
I'm currently trying to upload some helmet cam footage which should show it in few different terrains, but struggling with MOV file format. Can't find software to edit it... if anyone knows of any just let me know.
I use iMovie and it doesn't like the .mov format either, but I found all I have to do is rename it .mp4 and I can work with it.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:51 PM   #348
nathanthepostman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
Thanks guys. I appreciate the help with the helmet cam footage. It's a Drift, which saves as MOV, and I'm using a PC, but even youtube doesn't seem to like it. It's a bit of a pain in the ass to be honest, I don't know why they don't use something more compatible.

And that's a good question Ricky. You know, being totally honest, I got this job on the magazine after riding around the world on a Honda CT110. The guy who was supposed to be doing this test couldn't make it, so they sent me. Truthfully, I've not got much to compare it with (ridden plenty of big road bikes, used to race motocross, but not so many trails/enduro). I was coming at it with a blank page. And my first impressions of the engine were, 'f*ck, this thing's a bit rough, vibey, noisy.' It took a while but I got used to it. But to be fair, on the kind of roads it was the right engine for the bike.

And when I talk of what distances I'd happily do on it, my benchmark is 14 hours a day doing 40mph and covering 350 miles. Would I want to do those distances on this bike? I would if I had to. Which means that I think you could easily do a few hundred miles on it a day and not feel any strain. You could do 300 miles if you wanted, 400. I could probably do 500 in a day if I really needed to, as I think it'd cruise at 60mph without much fuss. For me, where this bike would be ideal is if you lived within an hour or two hours of some great trails or twisty sections of road. You know, if you lived near Moab, or the Rockies. I mean, I came over Cinnamon Pass on my trip, and thinking about it this bike would have been perfect for that. Or just Colorado in general.

As for the question of weight, I weigh 77 kilos. I left it about two up from bottom setting and for me that felt about right, and to be honest, I didn't feel a need to switch it between off-road and on-road riding. I just left it as it was. Interestingly, MCN had Lleweleyn Pavey, a pro-enduro rider, ride it off road and he said he would have liked it a bit stiffer. So I guess it depends on where you're coming from and how experienced a rider you are. I think I was just surprised how good the compromise was between on and off road riding.

nathanthepostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:43 AM   #349
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,865
Nice to see the bike continue to make its way towards a small production run bike.
It would be nice to maybe see a flatter seat option. I have already been through the banana shaped step seat (WR250). Not comfy when you are riding towards the rear and the ridge sticks you in the @ss. I need to move freely all over the seat...
Other than that I see a lot of good features. Hope they make to production!
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:51 AM   #350
a1fa
Riding Nomad

Oddometer: 13,497
That is one sexy bike!
Old 07-13-2013, 06:03 AM   #351
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,046
Quote:
As for the question of weight, I weigh 77 kilos. I left it about two up from bottom setting and for me that felt about right, and to be honest, I didn't feel a need to switch it between off-road and on-road riding. I just left it as it was. Interestingly, MCN had Lleweleyn Pavey, a pro-enduro rider, ride it off road and he said he would have liked it a bit stiffer. So I guess it depends on where you're coming from and how experienced a rider you are. I think I was just surprised how good the compromise was between on and off road riding.
Thanks for clarifying Nathan - that really helps... so how much does Pavey weigh?

My biggest curiosity was how much of a difference there was between the softest and harshest settings. It's a simple thing to "zero" it if that makes sense... put the weight springs in so that in normal riding you are towards the middle of the settings. Increase in weight or riding more aggressively both make you want firmer settings. My biggest weight difference is if I'm giving my wife a ride! Fortunately though the added weight would make me want firmer settings I ride far less aggressively with a passenger and so it almost balances out.
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:29 AM   #352
nathanthepostman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
That's alright Ricky. I think, judging by how much range there is in the settings - and how much difference it makes - if you cranked it up to full stiffness it'd be fine with a passenger. If I was carrying all my gear I'd probably knock it up a few settings as well. Pavey's definitely a lot taller than me, so probably weights a fair bit more as well. Maybe I need to put some meat on!

nathanthepostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #353
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Hmmm, maybe could buy one in England next spring, do the IOM 2 weeks and then a bunch of Western/Eastern Urp and ship it on home. Easy enuff to license even a non-complying bike in Arizona. Lot'a money tho. :(
Old 07-21-2013, 03:14 AM   #354
Pa644
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Sticking with CCM

Ive had my CCM 644DS for about 5 years now. Twas getting a bit long in the tooth and I had to think about a replacement. So I got the only alternative, a Husky 630. Since last year, Ive done more miles on the CCM than on the Husky. Clews just has the knack of making bikes that seem to fit like a glove. The Huskys a great bike and I like bits of it more than the CCM (electronics etc). But its just too HEAVY and by far not as agile as the CCM. So Im in the market for the new CCM GP450. I dont particularly like the slab sided looks of the plastics (looked better in the black prototype stage). And think Ill wait to see what the "XOVER and Avanti" look like. I havent got a car, just the two bikes. So I do plenty of miles/year. Id hate to get rid of the old 644 and am dead chuffed that CCMs come up with someting in the nick of time.
Pa644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:07 PM   #355
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 1,988
I just read that the HP on the 390 Duke is supposed to be 44. I wonder if KTM is planning a 390 Adventure and if it will compete with this bike.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:38 PM   #356
minkyhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
i sincerly hope so the more options the better
its just a photo shop at the moment but ktm have the minerals to produce a classic small bike for sure
Old 07-23-2013, 04:04 PM   #357
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
I just read that the HP on the 390 Duke is supposed to be 44. I wonder if KTM is planning a 390 Adventure and if it will compete with this bike.
On the release of the 390's, KTM did say there would be a touring adv type model early next year. What that means exactly who knows?

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:09 PM   #358
minkyhead
Gnarly Adventurer

looks like the soft luggage is near ready to go it looks good..not to sure about the colour though

Latest CAD images of our Pannier system. A lightweight discreet frame with interchangeable side frames that will support and protect CCM's own soft and hard luggage along with most other aftermarket luggage.

Here is a first glimpse of our new soft luggage. Originally developed for British and American military clothing and combat fatigues, this fabric has unparrelled features including Water Resistance, Anti-Fungal coated, Fire Retardant and self cleaning
Old 07-24-2013, 06:36 PM   #359
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,865
Looks brilliant minky! Along with the bike color on the cad image.

Keep the sneak peeks coming!

I hope they leave room for people to slide to the rear for descending maneuvers.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #360
minkyhead
Gnarly Adventurer

i keep trawling the the net for first riders but other than the press realeases i cant find any ..im as keen as anyone to find outmore

but again the luggage seems to indicate the quality of detail that makes me so keen on the bike ..

ive not a lot to say ...ill come back omn when ive actually ridden the bike

the more that do the same the merrier ....