Fishfund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:19 AM   #47
whizzo
-

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfund View Post
I want to know more about this engine.
I'm not really worried about the engine if it really is a BMW (now used in Husqvarnas) item. I'm more worried about the price...
Old 01-26-2013, 03:52 AM   #48
mtntrails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Looking at the specs for the Husky TE449, it has been upgraded to a 6-speed tranny, but all 4 valves are titanium which does not bode well for general longevity or reasonable adjustment intervals if the bike is going to ridden as a lightweight ADV tourer. I could not find specs for oil capacity. Given the TE449's "hard enduro" mission, I'm guessing less than 1.5 qts.

I look forward to seeing the specs for the CCM - there's certainly a lot of potential there.
mtntrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #49
jasonmt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtntrails View Post
Looking at the specs for the Husky TE449, it has been upgraded to a 6-speed tranny, but all 4 valves are titanium which does not bode well for general longevity or reasonable adjustment intervals if the bike is going to ridden as a lightweight ADV tourer. I could not find specs for oil capacity. Given the TE449's "hard enduro" mission, I'm guessing less than 1.5 qts.

I look forward to seeing the specs for the CCM - there's certainly a lot of potential there.
The TE/TXC 449/511 6 speed transmission has a narrower gear spread (2.286 - 0.917, 2.49 spread) then the 5 speed transmission (2.46 - 0.88, 2.80 spread) in the BMW G450X. Compared to say a TE 610/630 with ratios from 2.615 - 0.769 and a spread of 3.40 neither is really what I would consider "wide ratio". There is a reason I have a TE 630 for a "dual purpose" bike and a TXC 449 that is marginally street legal where I live as a "dirt bike with plates"...

TE/TXC 449/511 has a 1.15L oil capacity with a filter change so ~1.2 quarts if my conversion works out.
jasonmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:11 PM   #50
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,497
I may have to keep my G450X for adventure purposes.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #51
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
Old 01-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #52
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
We just made the last payment on our G.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:25 PM   #53
KLRmonkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Beautiful bike. Adding to the wish list.

Is there really much chance we'd see a US version?
So many promises over the years, only to find out it's another internet myth!

Have to wait and see - should we start a pool on this?
KLRmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #54
tinbasher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Wicked Perfect dual sport

Perhaps the solution lies with the redneck. Find a frame suspension combo you like and add a motor you can live with. Kind of the rat rod idea. I ride a 640 adventure I love, but don't love c.omplexity of motor services. Think a guy could slide a dr 650 in there or XR .. Just register as before no problemo. Just thinkink?
tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #55
Murf2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 785
Now it's Harley's fault the Jap Dual Sports are too heavy?

Murf2
Murf2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #56
dashmoto
Serial Tinkerer

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRmonkey View Post
Is there really much chance we'd see a US version?
So many promises over the years, only to find out it's another internet myth!

Have to wait and see - should we start a pool on this?
This is CCM. They'll probably go bust (again) in the time it takes to ship a crate full of bikes across the Atlantic

www.dashmoto.net
dashmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:50 PM   #57
ZtoXS
I of the Strom

Oddometer: 16
I have both 404 and 644 D/S CCM's and can't fault them. Have always considered changing the 644 up to adventure spec but getting the right bits to fit is an issue. This 450i could be the answer however there are a lot of questions that will only be answered once more detailed specs are released.
An adventure version will require (in my opinion) - wide ratio box, increased oil capacity and service intervals, greater fuel capacity than the trail versions 17 lts (up by say 7-8 Lts), comfortable seat and ride position, robust gear carrying capacity, a bit of rider weather protection and perhaps an enclosed chain just for the hell of it. Beware CCM - cost will make or break this bike.

As for it being released in Canada and or the America's, well, with the interest shown on the likes of here, lets hope the companies involved are 'listening' to both the specs required and potential demand.
ZtoXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:38 PM   #58
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,649
it would be interesting if a company like CCM did what KTM shoulda done so many years back with a 690 ADV.
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:34 AM   #59
MORT666
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Love it makes a change from the usual manufactures.
MORT666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:04 AM   #60
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashmoto View Post
This is CCM. They'll probably go bust (again) in the time it takes to ship a crate full of bikes across the Atlantic
Harsh!

I have to say, there seems to be a lot of people here treating a 'six speed wide ratio gearbox' as some sort of holy grail?!

In 2008/09 I rode the then brand new and unproven 660 Tenere right across the US and back, including the Trans-Am Trail, the dunes in southern California, desert in New Mexico, forests in Oregon, snow in Colorado - the list is endless... all with a 5-speed gearbox, and never found it wanting.

We have to remember this is a 450cc Adventure bike - it's not a 1200cc all-terrain uber-cruiser in the mould of a GS... or to use a 4wd analogy - it is a trail-prepped Jeep Wranger, not a GMC Suburban.

The focus of producing a smaller lighter-weight Adventure bike, is that it will be more appropriate for off-highway riding, taking the back roads and having fun - even my WR450 on enduro gearing will cruise all day at 70mph - and most people (who travel overland by bike) will tell you that somewhere around 50mph is actually the sweet-spot - let's face it, if you are riding any faster than that, then you are not really taking in the surroundings you are meant to be exploring?!

Therefore, my only concern is not the engine performance as much as the potential longevity. The stock BMW 450X engine does have a small oil capacity, and due to it's unconventional architecture (the clutch being mounted on the crank shaft for example), means there might be longer-term issues with a bike worked really hard... I recall people cooking their clutches on the 450X, albeit those guys tended to be racing the Dakar x

On the whole though, the 450X is probably towards the 'stronger' end of the scale regarding reliability - remember BMW were confident enough to offer a 2-year warranty (albeit with conditions attached) at the time?

Personally (and as ZtoXS highlights above), I would have loved to see this bike with a Suzuki DRZ400 engine - as the old CCM 404DS had - but that is not going to happen as the supply of that engine has dried up, and will not meet current and new emmissions rules... Trying to find a 450cc donor engine that actually meet those criteria (or that the parent manufacturer is prepared to sell you) is seemingly impossible these days - CCM can only work with what is available.

I think speculating on how this bike is going to ride/perform is academic, until you've actually sat on one and more importantly ridden it. Let's hope they can get some pre-production bikes out to the press and potential customers soon!

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote