User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 09:04 AM   #106
D.Sanchez
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Update:
got Email from Austin Clews with a nice brochure, technicla spec, special parts and special parts price list.
Looks very nice! Really looking forward to that bike. (xt660z with WP48 fork etc for sale)

some parts of the brochure:

D.Sanchez screwed with this post 05-08-2013 at 10:07 AM
D.Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:03 PM   #107
minkyhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
yes it coming good now

surprising amount of extras too
i was relieved to see auxilery oil tank extra capacity in the spec which makes a lot of sense

i like the side panel 5litre water carrying option too

boxed and delivered anyone ??

Old 05-08-2013, 04:38 PM   #108
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,238
Hmm. Not bad. I need a wet weight, ready to ride, full of fuel. At 130 kg dry (286 lbs.), this usually means totally dry: No battery, oil, water, fork oil, or gas. With 17 liters of fuel, we add ~28 lbs. My guess at total wet weight is about 335 lbs, which isn't bad for all of the ADV accessories, but which weighs more than a KTM 690R Enduro.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:26 PM   #109
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,236
I'd like to see a taller fairing with a mount for a Montana or other GPS for travel.

I'd really like to see bikes starting to incorporate LED lighting or, at a minimum, HIDs.

I am also interested in the wet weight of this bike. BTW, what is the suspension travel? They don't mention it. I"m guessing somewhere around 240mm from the look of it. I'd like to see 300mm

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #110
Fishfund
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
I just want to see the availability of this bike in America. I am happy with everything else. I can do my own personal mods for the little stuff. This bike is an amazing start.
Fishfund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:07 PM   #111
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Key Features #15: Dash with integrated LCD telemetry and Garmin on/off road GPS unit.

The fairing is plenty high if you are really going off-road in non-desert terrain.

Ground clearance is 14.2", (which is huge), so I expect plenty of suspension travel, and if not stock, can be had with modification. KTM's with this kind of ground clearance have between 11 and 13 inches of suspension travel, which is on the high end for a race bike - which this isn't.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
Old 05-09-2013, 01:11 AM   #112
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
Hmm. Not bad. I need a wet weight, ready to ride, full of fuel. At 130 kg dry (286 lbs.), this usually means totally dry: No battery, oil, water, fork oil, or gas. With 17 liters of fuel, we add ~28 lbs. My guess at total wet weight is about 335 lbs, which isn't bad for all of the ADV accessories, but which weighs more than a KTM 690R Enduro.
Sure... but I really think you need to compare like with like - this bike is fitted with a 17 litre tank, a fairing, a rear rack, an aluminium skid-plate... put all those on a 690 and it will weigh considerably more than stock.

A more realistic comparison would be with the older 640 Adventure? (which is no longer available new of course), or compare the trail version of the CCM (without the fairing and large tank) with a 690 Enduro...

But either way, I can't see how a few pounds is going to make any difference on this sort of bike - and it is clearly the lightest weight fully specced Adventure bike available - due to the fact it uses a small enduro derived 450cc engine - all the other similarly specced bikes (large tanks, fairings etc) are much larger and heavier - KLR650, Tenere 660, BMW 650GS...

I'm looking forward to hearing (and actually trying myself) how it rides!

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:20 AM   #113
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
I'd really like to see bikes starting to incorporate LED lighting or, at a minimum, HIDs.

I am also interested in the wet weight of this bike. BTW, what is the suspension travel? They don't mention it. I"m guessing somewhere around 240mm from the look of it. I'd like to see 300mm

JG
I think the problem with LED and HID lights as standard equipment (other than the increase in manufacturer cost) is that they don't conform to various countries' legislation for beam pattern and brightness/glare - which is why most are sold as auxiliary lights, or as high-beam only upgrades. I believe there are cars now that use LED as headlights, so we may see those on bikes soon - although I understand the problem has always been getting enough distance penetration with a comparatively small headlight unit on a bike compared with a car?

As for the suspension - as Gryphon says, 300mm is really race bike territory, and the problem with longer travel suspension is the seat hight is also correspondingly higher if you want to retain a comfortable seat/footpeg relationship - which on this sort of bike (where you'll be sitting down a lot more) is going to be important?

That said, the ground clearance is listed at 360mm, which is exceptionally good, so it's feasible that there will be (at least the option of) 300mm travel in this bike?

Jx
Old 05-09-2013, 01:36 AM   #114
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkyhead View Post

boxed and delivered anyone ??

Ha! I don't think I have ever seen a wooden crate in an accessory brochure before - excellent!

But the million dollar question is: WHEN WILL WE SEE THE PRODUCTION BIKES ON THE ROAD!!!

Jx
Old 05-09-2013, 04:27 AM   #115
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfund View Post
I just want to see the availability of this bike in America. I am happy with everything else. I can do my own personal mods for the little stuff. This bike is an amazing start.
The one big thing I would have loved to see them do was add a 6th gear. For the private owner that's much tougher than doing a big bore kit.

Sure you can "make do" with 5 speeds, but in real world riding experiences where there are freeway stretches and there is fun, gnarly single track, every day I'm wishing for a either a lower low and/or a higher high.

I'd love to know why manufacturers don't add a 6th gear in many applications? If its because it really would be extremely difficult/expensive but they really did want to I could live with that. But if it becuse they think it's not needed that may be true, BUT having another gear with a spread like an EXC or the Husky 610 would make it so much better and able to do much more types of riding... well.

rickypanecatyl screwed with this post 05-09-2013 at 03:03 PM
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:23 AM   #116
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Can't figure how I've missed this discussion. Waiting for the USA introduction. (In the meantime, I've just bought an 03 DRZ 400 E, already kitted 'n licensed in AZ. It'll do for now. Cheap.)
Old 05-09-2013, 08:06 AM   #117
Fishfund
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
Does anyone know if there are plans to bring it to America?
Fishfund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #118
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Luke you can just can always just buy it whereever they sell it and ride it to the US!

(I'm thinking England will have the best deal on the bike- from there take the chunnel to the mainland, go thru Europe, Russia and I hear it's getting easier to get travel papers thru Chukotka. From there ride the ice in the winter or get a fishing boat in the summer? I'd ride with you to Chabarovsk and then head south to Malaysia while you went NW to the states... )
Old 05-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #119
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
My 690 is a tad over 330 with 2 1/2 gallons of fuel, pannier racks BUT no boxes mounted on them. I'm thinking this will feel significantly lighter if set up the same way and with the same amount of gas.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #120
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Possilby. I'm willing to wait and see. Many of the previous generation of ADV bikes were 650cc's - they had enough torque to pull the full load - wet weight, rider and gear (which can top 650 lbs). My benchmark, the 2003 KTM 640 ADV, was 417 lbs. wet, and I'm sure the new bikes will be lighter. I'm just trying to evaluate the trade-off's involved in getting there. I applaud the effort. I'm just not sure it will fit my preferences.