User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
ang OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
2 Up Trip Fall 2014 What Gs or GSA to get

We are planning a South American trip in the fall of 2014 and I am having a hard time deciding on the bike to get. I am leaning towards a 2013 GSA because I think the soon to arrive water cooled GSA may be a little new to the market at that time. What do you think. I realize the new adventure has not been announced yet, so I am only taking a guess as to its availability.

ang screwed with this post 05-03-2013 at 01:35 PM
ang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #2
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,500
Hopefully the new GSA will be out in time and by then the WC GS engine/mechanicals,etc will be a year old and should have the early bugs worked out.
Mechanically the GS and GSA are no different other than suspension,doubt that will change with the new version.

If you have the $$$,I'd get on the waiting list for the WC GSA and you should have plenty of time to break it in and farkle it before you depart.

If you are at all concerned with new tech,then shop for a 2012-2013 GSA already farkled and save some $$$.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
Roland44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR356 View Post
Hopefully the new GSA will be out in time and by then the WC GS engine/mechanicals,etc will be a year old and should have the early bugs worked out.
Mechanically the GS and GSA are no different other than suspension,doubt that will change with the new version.

If you have the $$$,I'd get on the waiting list for the WC GSA and you should have plenty of time to break it in and farkle it before you depart.

If you are at all concerned with new tech,then shop for a 2012-2013 GSA already farkled and save some $$$.

JR356
WC GSA is awesome, I tested it a ffew days agi and I was impressed...
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland44 View Post
WC GSA is awesome, I tested it a ffew days agi and I was impressed...

There is NO water cooled GSA
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:27 AM   #5
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR356 View Post

JR356
The new GSA coming out with a high/low gear box and reverse?

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:20 AM   #6
Woland
Wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Not to complicate things but what's the logic behind buying a new bike for your trip?
Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:15 AM   #7
ang OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
I don't necessarily need a new bike, but I need a different bike than what I have now. I am currently riding a 2008 Concours 14, not the best for the trip we are planning.
ang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:47 AM   #8
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
It sounds like you have a year to make up your mind.

That is going to be a hard call.

If you do get a new bike, get it early enough to put on at least a few thousand miles on it - maybe 6k+ - before you head out. That will give it enough time to see if there was something wrong with -that- particular bike, it should show by then. It still won't be totally broke in (rings etc.) but it should settle down a lot.

I've got a '11 GSA and love it. I do believe the new WC is miles ahead of what I have though. The only thing I don't like about the WC is the lower alternator rating.

Tough call...

Bottom line, no matter what bike I get, I don't believe I would head out with a -new to me- bike on a long trip until I put some miles on her.
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #9
Get_Bent
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 927
Really depends on where you are taking your trip. Wife and I went 2-up on the CDT from Colorado to Canada and had a lovely time. 2-up last year through Michigan's UP (SAND so much SAND) into Maine and Canada. We decided on a used (dealer demo) 2010 GSA as we tend to go out of our way to stick to as many gravel, forest, appropriate trails as possible.

But, bike aside, your trip really depends on the comfort you two have on it.

We spent a lot of weekends on back roads, learning how to stand together, shift weight and making her feel comfortable that I wasn't going to kill us. (Did have a low speed oops in the aforementioned Sandy bits, thankfully had ridden long enough together that she said, "Well I felt that was going happen and got ready to tuck and roll" )

If it's a long trip getting your gear sorted is a must, don't take anything you don't absolutely need. When in doubt, leave it and pack your credit card.

IMHO ability to ride two up, being correctly packed, and ability to adapt are far more important than which version of the Bike you end up purchasing
Live in Minnesota and Ride? Read this
Get_Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:23 AM   #10
seniorasi
Banned

Oddometer: 816
A GS is a stripped down GSA bsically. If you plan to add all the GSA farkles you're time and money ahead to get the GSA, unless of course you don't care for the BMW version and then by all means get the GS and add the after market stuff.
seniorasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:17 AM   #11
Wdwrkr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,731
my .02 get a 13 gsa (though really i'd by used anything from 10 on) my logic, the current format has a lot of parts and farkles on the market. hence if you have an issue you be far more likely to find what you need and continue your trip in a timely matter. the current bike is a time proven commodity, the bubble boxer is not. beyond that south america may not be the best choice of places to take a shiny new 20,000+ dollar motorcycle.
Old Yesterday, 10:22 AM   #12
chris73
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
I am looking at a 2014 gs and gsa at the dealership. Trading in an f800gs. On the Canadian websight, the gsa is listed as having about 20# more payload. Can anyone tell me why, or is this just a typo. I'm 6'3" 250#, and want to ride with 130# wife, so payload matters. Height of the bike is not an issue. I test rode a gs and loved it, but I want to test the gsa now. I have read all the comparisons discussing bolt on stuff, but I'm looking for info on the 2014 gs and gsa, to see if there are more differences. Suspension travel as well, but is the gsa heavier sprung?
chris73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:10 PM   #13
Otherworld
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris73 View Post
I am looking at a 2014 gs and gsa at the dealership. Trading in an f800gs. On the Canadian websight, the gsa is listed as having about 20# more payload. Can anyone tell me why, or is this just a typo. I'm 6'3" 250#, and want to ride with 130# wife, so payload matters. Height of the bike is not an issue. I test rode a gs and loved it, but I want to test the gsa now. I have read all the comparisons discussing bolt on stuff, but I'm looking for info on the 2014 gs and gsa, to see if there are more differences. Suspension travel as well, but is the gsa heavier sprung?
Im guessing because the GSA is ~20lbs heavier?
Otherworld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM   #14
FlyingFinn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,049
Suspension, tires, frame... all that being equal, a bike that's 20lbs heavier would have 20lbs LESS payload capacity.

So Chris does have a valid question. My guess is that the spring rates on the GSA a that much higher that they allow 20lbs more payload even with the bike itself being heavier.
Old Yesterday, 04:39 PM   #15
RoundTrip
Unintentional deerslayer

Oddometer: 1,325
I would guess that it has to do with emissions gear that isn't required in Canada. 20lbs less gear equals 20lbs more payload.

-jeff

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
- Thomas Jefferson
RoundTrip is online now   Reply With Quote