User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2014, 10:19 AM   #1
TangaEric OP
African Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
R1200 GSA front suspension problem - please help

Does anyone know how to maintain the front forks of the r1200 GSA of 2007? I recently changed the front shock but the ride of the front end on rough roads is not satisfactory. What can I do to check if the front forks are working correctly?

Thanks, Eric
TangaEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:38 AM   #2
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,273
More Info?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangaEric View Post
Does anyone know how to maintain the front forks of the r1200 GSA of 2007? I recently changed the front shock but the ride of the front end on rough roads is not satisfactory. What can I do to check if the front forks are working correctly?

Thanks, Eric
What type of shock is the new one?

What did you set the pre-load on the telelever spring to?

Is the ride too stiff or too bouncy?

Remember the telelever [spring and shock] not the forks are your front suspension.

Phil
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:44 PM   #3
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,551
If the forks were OK before you installed the new shock, they are still OK. It's the new shock. Assuming you chose the right spring for your shock, then you need to adjust the pre-load and the rebound damping until you get the ride you want. I would guess that the pre-load is OK. Start by messing around with the rebound damping.

What kind of ride do you want?
Old 12-16-2014, 12:16 AM   #4
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,273
Bluhduh There Isn't One...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
If the forks were OK before you installed the new shock, they are still OK. It's the new shock. Assuming you chose the right spring for your shock, then you need to adjust the pre-load and the rebound damping until you get the ride you want. I would guess that the pre-load is OK. Start by messing around with the rebound damping.

What kind of ride do you want?
Of course I could be wrong...but the front shock has no adjustments and the only adjustment is the preload on the spring via the "preload adjuster" at the bottom of the spring [tool to adjust this is in the skimpy BMW tool kit]...there isn't any damping adjustment on the telelever.

The forks on the Telelever system have no springs or damping mechanisms only oil for lubricating the surfaces.

Unless I am missing something it comes down to the wrong shock being used, the suspension being assembled incorrectly or the spring preload being incorrectly adjusted.....but we still don't know what the actual difficulty was the OP encountered.

Phil
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote