ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-24-2015, 03:21 PM   #1
mexell OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2015
Location: Close to the Alps
Oddometer: 20
Windshield for tall rider

Hi,

About the only thing that I'd like to improve on my '05 R1200GS (OK, apart from that FD) would be the windshield.

I'm about 194cm (that's 6'4" in freedom units), and I wear a Schuberth C3. I don't even hear my engine at speeds over ~70 km/h. When I have the stock windshield in its highest position, I get a noticably reduced wind pressure on my shoulders and head, but there's just a lot of buffeting and wind noise. With the shield in its lowest position, the noise volume goes down a bit with more uniformity in noise (less buffeting), but the wind load on my shoulders and upper arms raises quite noticebly.

When I stand up on the pegs, the C3 gets very quiet due to the laminar airflow. I can then even hear the engine over the wind noises while going 120 km/h.

Can you recommend a windshield, that:
  • doesn't look like shit
  • doesn't break the bank
  • keeps adjustability
  • mounts on the stock mounting points

Thanks for your recommendations!
mexell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:34 PM   #2
Henryfb
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Terrebonne, OR
Oddometer: 25
X-creen

Try adding the X-Creen to your existing windscreen first. It made all the difference for me. I'm 6'2" and had a ton of noise and turbulence before. Now quiet air and I can raise myself about 4 or 5 inches before the air hits.
Henryfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:45 PM   #3
Izzy3
Freak of Unnature
 
Izzy3's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: NOVA
Oddometer: 181
I settled on a V-Stream Tall by ZTechnik. It bolted onto the existing hardware in place of the stock windscreen and has adjustable tilt. I can slab ride as fast as I want and no buffeting. There are other good products out there though. Good luck.
__________________
'12 R1200 GSA
Izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:37 AM   #4
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer
 
WindSailor's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Somewhere out West
Oddometer: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryfb View Post
Try adding the X-Creen to your existing windscreen first. It made all the difference for me. I'm 6'2" and had a ton of noise and turbulence before. Now quiet air and I can raise myself about 4 or 5 inches before the air hits.
+1

I just installed the X-Creen on mine... A lot better than the Touratech spoiler I took off.
That said, I still get buffeting from my stock GSA windscreen when there is a side wind... The stock screen isn't wide enough to stop all buffeting.. I think it was originally that way to let some air flow through...

Sent from my Samsung Note 3
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:55 AM   #5
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer
 
Okie Preacher's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: In the middle...
Oddometer: 912
Try the tall Ztechnic.

http://www.nationalcycle.com/vehicle...ure/z2418.html
Okie Preacher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:47 AM   #6
ArmyStrong
6F
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Huntsville, AL
Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy3 View Post
I settled on a V-Stream Tall by ZTechnik. It bolted onto the existing hardware in place of the stock windscreen and has adjustable tilt. I can slab ride as fast as I want and no buffeting. There are other good products out there though. Good luck.
2nd the V-Stream. Love mine.
ArmyStrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:16 AM   #7
BikerBill
Motorcycle Addict
 
BikerBill's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Bagdad...Kentucky
Oddometer: 173
I've got the tall Z-Technik V-Stream on my 08 GSA. Love it!
__________________
"Life is a lot like racing, you're either a participant or a spectator"-Steve McQueen
BikerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:28 AM   #8
nrp
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Charlotte, NC
Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie Preacher View Post
I love mine. Perfect.

http://www.nationalcycle.com/z2487.html
nrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:08 AM   #9
mexell OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2015
Location: Close to the Alps
Oddometer: 20
So, the verdict seems to be that the MRA X-Screen might work, and the safe bet would be the Ztechnik. I think I'll try the MRA spoiler first, as the V-Stream is quite expensive here as compared to other screens (EUR vs USD in recent months).

Thanks for your advice!
mexell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:47 AM   #10
JR356
Beastly Adventurer
 
JR356's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Way out West
Oddometer: 3,995
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/g...ow-windscreens

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 02:23 PM   #11
Akabubba42
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2014
Location: Valley Forge
Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexell View Post
Hi,

About the only thing that I'd like to improve on my '05 R1200GS (OK, apart from that FD) would be the windshield.

I'm about 194cm (that's 6'4" in freedom units), and I wear a Schuberth C3. I don't even hear my engine at speeds over ~70 km/h. When I have the stock windshield in its highest position, I get a noticably reduced wind pressure on my shoulders and head, but there's just a lot of buffeting and wind noise. With the shield in its lowest position, the noise volume goes down a bit with more uniformity in noise (less buffeting), but the wind load on my shoulders and upper arms raises quite noticebly.

When I stand up on the pegs, the C3 gets very quiet due to the laminar airflow. I can then even hear the engine over the wind noises while going 120 km/h.

Can you recommend a windshield, that:
  • doesn't look like shit
  • doesn't break the bank
  • keeps adjustability
  • mounts on the stock mounting points

Thanks for your recommendations!
Same size...got Aeroflow tallest and works well
Akabubba42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 02:45 PM   #12
MoodyGS
Going round the bend
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Monte Nido, Santa Monica mountains, Californiay
Oddometer: 185
Givi af330 windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR356 View Post
+1
This is adjustable which is a need of mine as I ride in early morning low 30's F up tp 100+F in one day. I am very happy with mine. Purchased used fromm an inmate here.
MoodyGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 02:50 PM   #13
Ray R
Studly Adventurer
 
Ray R's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Aurora, OR
Oddometer: 690
I'm also 6'4" and really like the CalSci product on my 2009 GSA.
__________________
Too many bikes. Not enough time.
Ray R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:09 PM   #14
darmahman
"Illogically Deluded"
 
darmahman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Oddometer: 3,095
Thumb

I hav tried 7 or 8 different screens for my 2005 and newer Gs's. The V-Stream tall was by far the best.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy3 View Post
I settled on a V-Stream Tall by ZTechnik. It bolted onto the existing hardware in place of the stock windscreen and has adjustable tilt. I can slab ride as fast as I want and no buffeting. There are other good products out there though. Good luck.
__________________
ABC# - 4011
“Folks are usually about as happy as they make their minds up to be.” Honest Abe
The last honest politician to come out of Illinois
darmahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:13 PM   #15
Byrdguy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Location: FL. panhandle
Oddometer: 408
I had an Xscreen on an 08 GS and didn't like it. It didn't help at all. Look at what CeeBaileys offers. Great quality shields in different sizes and tints.
Byrdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015