User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2014, 11:54 AM   #1
Jim-Mer OP
Slowing Down

Oddometer: 84
2015 GS or GSA???

Hi all, I'm planning on moving from a 2012 RT to a 2015 GS or GSA and I have some questions for the learned folks on this forum!

Background: I'm 63 and am strictly a road rider, and I will not apologize for that!!! I gave up dirt about 30 years ago, and if I did get a hankering to do dirt again, I'd do it on something smaller than a 1200! My mileage is probably split 50 / 50 slab and great 2 lane roads...I slab to where I want to play, then it is two lane fun. I do about 12-15,000 mikes a year.

I had a 2009 GS that I really liked for it's roomy seating position / legroom. I'm 6' 2" tall with a 33" inseam, so that is important to me. I let myself get talked into the RT, and will admit it is great for eating up miles on both 4 and 2 lanes...but when it gets tight the tall gearing makes things difficult. Also that RT has such a big pocket of air behind that shield it is crazy hot above 85 degrees - no airflow. So, I think I a move back to a GS or GSA makes a lot of sense to me for all sorts of reasons - but which one?

What I like:
Large gas tank - the GSA has the tank range I like, similar to the RT
Tall final drive - not sure if the GS and GSA have the same final drive ratio, some info would be appreciated.
Reasonably spaced 2nd and 3rd gear so I that tight corners are easier to manage.
Reasonable sized windshield - even when it is cold. That's why I have heated gear
Cast wheels - easier to clean, and I think they look better. Yes, I do clean my bikes...always have and will continue to.
BMW Vario cases - I just think they look better and are plenty functional for the kind of travel I do.

What I don't Like:
Black wheels - just a personal thing
Black frames - again, a personal thing
Huge crash bars - yes I know they provide protection for the bike when dumped, but my travel is on-road, and if the bike gets trashed that is what insurance is for.

Bottom line questions:
*Can a GSA tank be added to a GS at a reasonable cost?
*Is the GSA final drive ratio any different than the GS? How does that compare to the RT?
*Can the GSA be ordered with cast wheels and Vario bag mounts?
*Should I start with a GS and add range (GSA tank swap) or a GSA and figure out swaps with other inmates to get cast wheels, vario bags, etc....?

I really appreciate input from the masses, you folks are an amazing source of information, and I've learned a lot lurking here! I'll be off-line until tomorrow morning but will answer any additional questions you have about how I ride, etc. then.

THANKS!!!

Jim
Canton, OH
Jim-Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:12 PM   #2
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-Mer View Post
What I like:
Large gas tank - the GSA has the tank range I like, similar to the RT
Tall final drive - not sure if the GS and GSA have the same final drive ratio, some info would be appreciated.
Reasonably spaced 2nd and 3rd gear so I that tight corners are easier to manage.
Reasonable sized windshield - even when it is cold. That's why I have heated gear
Cast wheels - easier to clean, and I think they look better. Yes, I do clean my bikes...always have and will continue to.
BMW Vario cases - I just think they look better and are plenty functional for the kind of travel I do.

What I don't Like:
Black wheels - just a personal thing
Black frames - again, a personal thing
Huge crash bars - yes I know they provide protection for the bike when dumped, but my travel is on-road, and if the bike gets trashed that is what insurance is for.

Bottom line questions:
*Can a GSA tank be added to a GS at a reasonable cost?
*Is the GSA final drive ratio any different than the GS? How does that compare to the RT?
*Can the GSA be ordered with cast wheels and Vario bag mounts?
*Should I start with a GS and add range (GSA tank swap) or a GSA and figure out swaps with other inmates to get cast wheels, vario bags, etc....?
Replacing the tank is prohibitive. Better to start with the GSA.

Spoked wheels are a sought after commodity. But cast, then sell the spokes for more

Vario mounts will be cheap used, from all the people upgrading to Jesse/Zega, et al. As with spoked wheels, ADV mounts come with the bike. Changing to the "lesser" Vario mounts will probably net an upcharge. Don't spend the money at the dealership. People will buy the Adv parts. I don't know about the Water cooled bikes, but on earlier ones, Vario cases didn't fit with the rear luggage rack. If this is still the case, the GSA rear rack is also a commodity that comes with the bike. Sell what you don't want, and replace it cheaper. The Vario bags themselves can also be had in new condition for half the cost of new.

Windshileds take 5 minutes to switch. I had cut down stock, and large aftermarket for my GS.
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:01 PM   #3
cessnadog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Gearing and final drive ratios are identical.
cessnadog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:13 PM   #4
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,516
2013 and 14?GS flywheel was lighter than the 2014 GSA,lots o folks think the heavier flywheel is a benefit for drivability.Heard that the heavier flywheel is/will be on the 15 GS?.

Tank conversion on earlier 1200's was in the $1200-1500 range,likely way more than that for a WC swap(if even feasible).WC GS will get 200 plus miles to tank,GSA 300 or so.

Think for what you need,you are already talking yourself towards a GS.

My 05 GS covered 99 percent of my needs,there are just a few spots out west where I would have been more comfortable with a big tank.Plus my buddies,all riding non BMW's usually had to stop sooner anyways.

I just bought one of the last '14 GSA's imported.To me the money difference between a fully outfitted GS and the GSA swayed me to the GSA.
Despite being a GS guy,the GSA look and package appealed to me more.
Sounds like the opposite for you.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:25 PM   #5
antipode
Wanderer

Oddometer: 545
I pondered the same issue for a while.
I just love the range I get with my GSA and have experienced the same as JR356 with non-BMW-riding mates, they have never had to stop for me!

Same thoughts as you about crash bars and road riding.

I ended up buying the GS with keyless ride and GSAP.

But if range is the key attribute for you there is only one practical route, the GSA.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:22 AM   #6
Jim-Mer OP
Slowing Down

All - thanks for your replies and insights. 200 mile tank range is adequate I guess...hell at my age I probably need to pee at that point anyway.

It sounds like swapping the tank from a GSA to a GS would be difficult and expensive if possible at all.

Transmission and final drive ratio being the same is a disappointment, I had thought I read the GSA was taller than the GS but I could not find it anywhere...anybody have input on RPM at 75 MPH? My comfortable spot on the slab is around 75 - 78. This was a bit buzzy on my 09 GS, is it any different on the GSW?

Thanks,

Jim
Old 09-03-2014, 04:40 AM   #7
At adventure
AB

Oddometer: 128
Suggestion

Go with the GS and add a Hepco and Becker luggage plate and a Rotopac spare fuel canister. Looks good and will only cost you about $250.
At adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:47 AM   #8
Reverse
Armchair Tough

Oddometer: 1,261
If you appreciate more room for your legs, you need to get the GSA. It has taller seat heights than the GS.

Why buy a GS and then screw around with replacing tank etc.? Just buy the GSA, remove crash bars, and go!
Old 09-03-2014, 05:31 AM   #9
JCMagoo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR356 View Post
WC GS will get 200 plus miles to tank,GSA 300 or so.
I can't speak for the GSA, but I would add another + to the GS mileage making it 200MPG++. I average about 48mpg commuting on B roads. I get well over 55mpg on the highway. My bike, my riding style, I get close to 240-250 miles per tank. I haven't pushed the reserve too deep, but the computer usually tells me that I have +/- 40 miles left on reserve.

I only point this out because the GSW is a very fuel efficient bike with excellent range. Unless you really need to go the extra distance between fuel stops, I'm not sure this would be my highest priority item.

Based on what you want from the bike, the GSW has the alloy wheels as standard, Vario bags and mounts as a selectable option, and you can still get all the computer upgrades.

In the end, given the options you want, I think you would either spend a lot on retrofits to a GSAW, or compromise your wish list just to get the bigger tank
Old 09-03-2014, 07:44 AM   #10
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse View Post
If you appreciate more room for your legs, you need to get the GSA. It has taller seat heights than the GS.

Why buy a GS and then screw around with replacing tank etc.? Just buy the GSA, remove crash bars, and go!
The seats are interchangeable, and could possibly be traded for FREE at the time of purchase. Why spend thousands extra for a snap on seat?
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:13 AM   #11
BootsandPants
Sprayer

Oddometer: 36
Go with the GS. Cheaper and more in line with what you want to do. If you're only riding pavement, you really don't need the 300+ range of the GSA; or as was suggested earlier, add some spare fuel cans if you're really worried about running out. Way more cost effective than going with the GSA.

As far as rolling at 75mph, my GSW is running a bit over 4k RPM (maybe 4.3?). Did 700 miles at that speed this weekend and didn't find it buzzy at all; pretty smooth.
BootsandPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:34 AM   #12
Sailorlite
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Like the OP my riding is nearly zero percent off-road. The only extra feature of the GSA that appeals to me is the larger tank - but I actually have no problem with the 200 mile GS tank.

But, since I'm long legged (34"), I have paid attention to knee comfort - and have concluded that even though the GSA's seat height is higher than the GS's - the leg room is the same (just higher off the road). The "ergonomic triangle" of the two models is identical because they use the same frame (but the GSA suspends it higher).

For pavement riding, I think the GS is the better choice for the OP. It makes a great tourer especially for the taller rider.
Sailorlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:34 AM   #13
FabOneUp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
I have the same decision to make on the 2015 models. I ride 50/50 dirt/ pavement. I looked at these bikes several years ago (2007) and decided that I wasn't experienced enough to ride the big 1200 so I thought I would start with the F650GS. I am very glad I did. Now I feel well ready. I personally do not feel the GSA is worth the extra for my personal needs. It would be an extremely rare occasion that I would need the extra fuel range and suspension travel. I am not very fond of the factory BMW parts (I mean crash bars and luggage racks) either. A Rotopax or two is easy to mount up for the rare need of extra fuel.

Anyone know how they add the extra suspension travel (front and rear) to the GSA or visa versa with the GS. Internal spacers, links, ect….? I have also seen guys add a steering stabilizer like a Scotts. Is the factory stabilizer a disappointment?

I should add a side note that I think it is absolutely brilliant that if you wanted to go on a trip tomorrow you can go to your local BMW shop, buy a GSA, load your gear and leave that very same evening on a trip around the world!

FabOneUp screwed with this post 09-03-2014 at 10:49 AM
FabOneUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:21 PM   #14
Jim-Mer OP
Slowing Down

I knew I would get great feedback and input from the inmates here...thanks so much.

*If I can get 220 - 230 out of a tank that is enough.
*Gear ratios and final drive is the same on the GS and GSA so no advantage either way
*I really like the look of the GS compared to the GSA - silver frame and motor vs black (to each their own)
*Every BMW I've ever had came with a crap seat I replaced, and I expect to do the same for this one...I can get additional legroom when I get a seat built.
*Would save me lots of $$ to get the GS and do any minor mods I need to make it mine.

So...I think it will be the GS for me. Again, thanks for all of your input and advice.

OK, now, what kind of oil should I use?Just kidding...

Jim
Old 09-03-2014, 02:32 PM   #15
Sailorlite
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
The GS seat might not be as bad as you expect it to be. I for one think it's fine.
Sailorlite is offline   Reply With Quote