User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2015, 08:55 AM   #1
Jontaff OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
BMW replacing 2015 GS1200 Adventure Rear Case racks

Picked up my new 2015 Adventure this week (fastest color is green ) and was able to purchase a set of pre-owned BMW cases (used for 300 miles) for a fair price.

Went to fit these BMW rear cases and the one near the exhaust was very hard to lock onto the rack.
The "tabs" on the rack itself, where the cases "mate", are not at an angle where the case can slide fully rearward. This makes it very difficult for the case to lock to the rack.

The service department advised me that they have a bulletin from BMW that addresses this issue. You must take the bike to the dealer so they can check the rack that is fitted and order the new racks.

You can alter the "angle of the tabs" so the case will fit, but I think it best that you don't do this just in case you are denied the warranty parts.

This warranty only covers the OEM racks.

Ride safe.

Jon.
Jontaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 04:03 AM   #2
Wdwrkr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,053
I learned years ago that BMW bags are just expensive. Go Mosko Moto soft luggage.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:57 AM   #3
Krime
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jontaff View Post
Picked up my new 2015 Adventure this week (fastest color is green ) and was able to purchase a set of pre-owned BMW cases (used for 300 miles) for a fair price.

Went to fit these BMW rear cases and the one near the exhaust was very hard to lock onto the rack.
The "tabs" on the rack itself, where the cases "mate", are not at an angle where the case can slide fully rearward. This makes it very difficult for the case to lock to the rack.

The service department advised me that they have a bulletin from BMW that addresses this issue. You must take the bike to the dealer so they can check the rack that is fitted and order the new racks.

You can alter the "angle of the tabs" so the case will fit, but I think it best that you don't do this just in case you are denied the warranty parts.

This warranty only covers the OEM racks.

Ride safe.

Jon.
Thanks for this heads-up. I just picked up my '15 GSAW yesterday and the exhaust side case was stuck on the bike. The key would not even go into the cylinder and when it finally did we couldn't turn it or get it out... eventually we got the key out again but were convinced it's the lock cylinder.

I'm going to take in the bike so they can drill out the cylinder and replace the lock, but it sounds like the racks may be the problem or at least part of it.
Krime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:31 AM   #4
gsapilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
It takes three strong men to attach the right side case to my '14 GSA.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:38 AM   #5
Jontaff OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krime View Post
Thanks for this heads-up. I just picked up my '15 GSAW yesterday and the exhaust side case was stuck on the bike. The key would not even go into the cylinder and when it finally did we couldn't turn it or get it out... eventually we got the key out again but were convinced it's the lock cylinder.

I'm going to take in the bike so they can drill out the cylinder and replace the lock, but it sounds like the racks may be the problem or at least part of it.
From what I saw, the "tabs" on the rails are not angled properly so that the cases will not slide fully rearwards. I dont think the lock is your problem, although it may have been "keyed" improperly. If you have problems with the lock then the second from bottom pin (inside of lock) needs to be filed down.

Jon.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:41 AM   #6
Jontaff OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdwrkr View Post
I learned years ago that BMW bags are just expensive. Go Mosko Moto soft luggage.

I like that brand
Normally I would have purchased the above but the BMW cases were priced well and did not see any use.

Jon.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:05 AM   #7
Byrdguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
On my 14, the right side case fit much tighter than the left one. The latch was hard to close at first, and the key hard to remove, but over a short time on the bike it all "loosened" up and now the case goes on and off as it should.
Byrdguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 10:24 PM   #8
vikingolly
Iron Butt Rider

Oddometer: 150
Laugh Stuck Locks

The clamps each have two metal pins about 2 inches long in them. The metal is piss-poor like putty, so if you happen to bend them (e.g. by dropping you bike in a carpark at zero miles per hour and bumping the base of the panniers) you will bend the pins and the key will not go in the lock, or at least not open it. They can be replaced at great cost, or bent back into shape until the next time….

"There are NO coincidences." (102 year old lady in a church in Scotland)

BMW R1200 GSA 2007 and 2014 GSW (USA), HD Ultra CVO 2013, in Australia
vikingolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:43 AM   #9
ArmyStrong
6F

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdguy View Post
On my 14, the right side case fit much tighter than the left one. The latch was hard to close at first, and the key hard to remove, but over a short time on the bike it all "loosened" up and now the case goes on and off as it should.
Exact same thing for me. It was a pain but now after time it is like the top and other side.
ArmyStrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:30 PM   #10
Krime
Studly Adventurer

Any more developments on this? I went by my dealer today and saw another 2 GSAW's waiting to be picked up. Apparently they're having the exact same issue with all the bikes so far with factory luggage - the keys won't turn and get stuck in the lock cylinder for the exhaust side case.

I'm due to take the bike in to get fixed so I can finally remove the case from the bike, but they don't have a fix for it yet.

Krime screwed with this post 04-30-2015 at 07:45 PM
Old 04-30-2015, 07:38 PM   #11
gsapilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
I think we're jumping the gun here. It's only been a little over a year since this problem surfaced. Judging by BMW's history of (not) responding to known issues, expect a resolution in another 2 to 3 years.

Was at the dealer today for an annual service and tires and learned that they had recently broken a key attempting to affix a right side case.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:58 PM   #12
Krime
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsapilot View Post
I think we're jumping the gun here. It's only been a little over a year since this problem surfaced. Judging by BMW's history of (not) responding to known issues, expect a resolution in another 2 to 3 years.

Was at the dealer today for an annual service and tires and learned that they had recently broken a key attempting to affix a right side case.
Just lovely. My dealer made it sound like it's a new issue with the 2015s. He was pretty frustrated. When I arrived, him and another sales rep were looking at one of the bikes and trying to fix it before the new owner arrived. Maybe it got worse for 2015?

Really frustrating since I'm currently living in a condo. I can't park the bike behind my car with the luggage on! I hope I can bring my bike home soon.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:24 PM   #13
Jontaff OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krime View Post
Just lovely. My dealer made it sound like it's a new issue with the 2015s. He was pretty frustrated. When I arrived, him and another sales rep were looking at one of the bikes and trying to fix it before the new owner arrived. Maybe it got worse for 2015?

Really frustrating since I'm currently living in a condo. I can't park the bike behind my car with the luggage on! I hope I can bring my bike home soon.
All,
I have had problems removing the key from the right case.
Fixed by filing the flat face side of the swivel lock and the opposite permanent catch.
Don't go mad with the file.
My new racks have arrived.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:43 AM   #14
Krime
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jontaff View Post
All,
I have had problems removing the key from the right case.
Fixed by filing the flat face side of the swivel lock and the opposite permanent catch.
Don't go mad with the file.
My new racks have arrived.
Did you get a factory recall notice from BMW? My dealer said they don't have a note as of yet, and that I'd get a letter in the mail from BMW if there was such a recall...
Old 05-01-2015, 01:45 PM   #15
TrickyRic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Haven't experienced this with my 2015 GSA. Guess I'm lucky....and thankful. My panniers and top box all go on and off with equal effort and no undue strain on the key.
TrickyRic is offline   Reply With Quote