Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #271
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,702
It all seems to be weight+HP = short tire life,then add in aggressive riding and it go's down more.We just got back from Alaska and we put on 5,902 miles of pavement,chip seal and lots of dirt.I ride a NC700X which is around 500lbs and 48 hp.My wife rode a GS500 which weighs less and has around 35-40hp.We did not camp so we were not loaded super heavy and neither of us ride very aggressivly.We both ran a K60 rear and TKC front and after the trip her K60 is has about 60+% left and mine has about 50%.Both front TKC's have about 60+% left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #272
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by NortwestRider View Post
It all seems to be weight+HP = short tire life,then add in aggressive riding and it go's down more.
Agreed.

But I think heat, and stupid material choices in the chip and seal really make knobbier tires melt on Texas roads. Aggressive riding , tire spinning etc. is tough on tires. Rocks and hard edged gravel, too but if I had to guess, it would be sustained high speed riding that really kills my rear tires.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:50 AM   #273
GB.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Tyres are such a personal thing, my GS1200 has 76000miles on it (2007) and I have had K60s on it and I had them on my F800gs as well. Like SOG says they are a hard tyre but they will grip on the road but they are useless on wet grass/deep mud, but they will handle and you can push them, but they will slide if pushed to the limit but the cost and mileage out ways the odd slide at the limit, imho.
I can get 10000miles out of a set with no problem and this will include commuting, touring Europe (with good wet grip in the heavy rain at high speeds on the German Autobahn), trackdays and off road.
GB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:02 PM   #274
mike cummins
OUTBACK RIDER

Oddometer: 720
tyres

i have the scouts and i think they give u lots of k's easily 7,000 from my latest with some to go. I ride a hp2e so its lighter than the bmw gs bikes so that may help. I still feel far safer on the karoo, i totally rate them as the best tyre i have ever used. I did a day on the track at a rider training day on karoo's in the rain. Totally sorted , no stacks :) I dont feel confiedent on the scouts on tar.
mike cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:20 PM   #275
EKinOR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike cummins View Post
I dont feel confiedent on the scouts on tar.
I'm with you. I have aK60 on the rear and TKC 80 on the front. I have come to HATE the K60. The square profile makes for horrible cornering transitions and it sucks in the rain.

I almost broke down and bought a Karoo 3 rear at the MOA rally today, but they wanted $40 more than what I could buy one for online, plus $45 to install. I know SOG has not had good luck with mileage on the K3, but at this point, I'll take the poor mileage for a tire that doesn't completely suck.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:41 AM   #276
GB.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
I had Karoo2s on my 800 for a while and I really liked them, the road grip defied the tread pattern but as much as I liked them both on and off road the wear rate was to much for my wallet, if money was no object then they would be high on the list, I haven't seen any on any UK bikes yet tho?
GB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:40 AM   #277
VincitOmnia
Flyover Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
K3 wear pics

OK. Snapped a couple pics of my K3 rear.

I've been out of town on business and haven't been on the bike except to ride down to the car wash to get some of the Dempster oil off. So this tire has about 400 miles of commuting to work on it, before leaving on the trip and then 5,500 miles of fully loaded pavement, gravel, dirt etc during the trip.

The dust from our gravel road helps give it some contrast, but they actually look more worn in the pics than they do in person.

VO
Old 07-22-2013, 07:42 PM   #278
EKinOR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by VincitOmnia View Post

So this tire has about 400 miles of commuting to work on it, before leaving on the trip and then 5,500 miles of fully loaded pavement, gravel, dirt etc during the trip.
Thanks for posting this! I think I've found my new tires! The POS K60 has to go!
Old 07-23-2013, 09:02 AM   #279
gharnden
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
5000 miles plus - up Dempster, Top of the World

Just finished a 5000 plus mile trip on my Karoo 3's. Left Whitefish, Montana, rode up to Dawson, did the Dempster to the Arctic Circle, Top of the World, etc. and back to Whitefish. Pretty much same results and feelings as VincitOmnia on post #260. Riding 1200GS. Rear tire just about done. Front tire with several thousand miles left. Great handling tire. Great off road, very good on highway. Went with individual also on 1200GS but he had Heidi K60's. He had thousands of mile left on rear as expected. While we did not drive each other's bike, I think mine probably handled a little better overall. If I had to do it again, I would buy the Karoo's. Since I will be mainly on pavement for a while, I am putting back on my Tourance's.
gharnden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #280
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Will one or all of you big mileage K3 fellers post up your average cruising speed, how much time if any over 80-90-100-110-120? I am really guessing not much based on the roads traveled and that higher speeds are the real culprit here.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #281
VincitOmnia
Flyover Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
K3's and speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Will one or all of you big mileage K3 fellers post up your average cruising speed, how much time if any over 80-90-100-110-120? I am really guessing not much based on the roads traveled and that higher speeds are the real culprit here.
SOG, you may be onto something. Not may places did we cruise at much over 70mph. No where were we over 80, 90, or 100mph as the Mounties have been known to impound the bikes of out-of-country riders who incurred big speeding tickets. We actually talked to a group that had this happen to one of their riders.

If you're riding 100+ on the hot pavement down there, that's a likely source of the big difference in mileage we're experiencing. I'll have to go check my GPS, but I think our "moving average" for the trip was in the mid-50's.

VO
Old 07-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #282
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Metzeler karoo 3

Yup. Like I posted a bit back, I will posit that all the other factors (road surface, heat, rocks, wheelies, hard starts and stops) are together probably not as much the cause of tire wear on these knobs and semi knobs as "sustained high speed riding". Not much traffic where I ride (miles and miles and miles with zero traffic) and maybe 3 LEO's on duty in a big sparsely populated county (800-1000 sq mi) at a time. Once you have ID'ed where 1 or more are.....well. Let's just say things get highly spirited (as in "as fast as the bike will go in that given distance" spirited). And our LEO's spend almost zero time on unpaved roads therefore there apparently is no speed limit.

Think Isle of Man. Well, think IOM on a pig bike minus the highly skilled pilot. ;)

My profile says my dream ride is BC but me no likey the Canadian impound stories.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 07-23-2013 at 12:20 PM
Old 07-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #283
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,702
But when you look up and the speed limit sign say "110kph" it seems like your going fast !!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:24 PM   #284
mlyamkaw
Drill Baby Drill

Oddometer: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by VincitOmnia View Post

I've been out of town on business and haven't been on the bike except to ride down to the car wash to get some of the Dempster oil off. So this tire has about 400 miles of commuting to work on it, before leaving on the trip and then 5,500 miles of fully loaded pavement, gravel, dirt etc during the trip.

The dust from our gravel road helps give it some contrast, but they actually look more worn in the pics than they do in person.

VO
Those are more worn than mine, but mine only have 1500 miles on them. I'll see if I can figure out how to post some photos for another data point. It's been a few years since I did it.
And SOG, I want to know what you have done to the GSA to go 120? I can remember when mine was maxxed out, took forever to get to 107 (on GPS). Like a mile long flat stretch of road to get there. I was loaded down, but still...
14 KTM 500 EXC
mlyamkaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #285
mlyamkaw
Drill Baby Drill

Oddometer: 537
Front and rear tires are just shy of 1500 miles. I'm going to guess 60% paved, 40% dirt. Front is wearing fine, but rear went fast. Does the wear rate slow down at all?

14 KTM 500 EXC
mlyamkaw is offline   Reply With Quote