Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 05:27 AM   #31
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Oddometer: 1,113
Question

The turbo models are 2.0 vs the 2.5 of the n/a cars. I think the bore diameter difference is why the turbo cars don't poof HG's as readily. The sealing surface between the cylinder and the water/oil passages on a 2.5 is incredibly small.

My local independent Subaru guru uses a HG supplied by, I think, Stars (whoever that is). His view is the OEM gaskets, despite the several revisions, are no assurance of sealing success. He is adamant that he has not had any of his return after he reseals them.

I've heard endless stories about the wheel bearings on Subarus but I've never replaced a single one. Axle warping? Never heard of that one. Suspension problems? Nil. I have replaced cam/crank sensors (intermittent no-start problems), a/c compressors (noisy or failing clutches), ignition switch (wore it out), endless broken cup holders...that's about it. I've heard of a lot of coils that develop cracks but never had one.

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:38 AM   #32
brewer90
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavidv View Post
The turbo models are 2.0 vs the 2.5 of the n/a cars. I think the bore diameter difference is why the turbo cars don't poof HG's as readily. The sealing surface between the cylinder and the water/oil passages on a 2.5 is incredibly small.
My 08 Outback XT has a 2.5L and a turbo. No HG issues either.
brewer90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:49 AM   #33
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 13,149
FWIW the turbo 2.0 and 2.5 are different blocks than the N/A ones. They don't just slap a turbo on a naturallly aspirated block
papalobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #34
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,551
NA 2.5L Subaru's pretty much all have had or will have head gasket issues.
http://allwheeldriveauto.com/subaru-...ems-explained/
^ All encompassing article

They also make THE gasket set to solve the problem
http://allwheeldriveauto.com/subaru-parts/

A very good indy subaru mechanic I know in W. Mass also uses them, 2 years ago my buddy bought an 01 Forester off of him that he uses as his winter service vehicle (IT technician) and only paid $4K for the car with 125K on it.

I don't think Subarus are an avoid at all costs vehicle because of this "issue", their snow performance is unmatched by anything out there and even an Audi of similar mileage and age will probably encounter more frequent break downs and repairs of higher costs.

Also if you were to buy one new and change the coolant ever 30K and/or 3 years you'd probably never encounter a head gasket failure.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #35
seuadr
Wee-stromer

Oddometer: 773
i don't know that i would call that all encompassing.. they didn't mention any years beyond 2002. 2006+ engines were also altered so head gasket issues are not nearly as common with them. late generation ej motors are the only ones to have really had this problem on a large scale.. i don't think it is fair to say "if you own a subaru, you ARE going to have problems.
seuadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #36
Meter Man
Living on a prayer

Oddometer: 7,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavidv View Post

My local independent Subaru guru uses a HG supplied by, I think, Stars (whoever that is). His view is the OEM gaskets, despite the several revisions, are no assurance of sealing success. He is adamant that he has not had any of his return after he reseals them.

I've heard endless stories about the wheel bearings on Subarus but I've never replaced a single one. Axle warping? Never heard of that one. Suspension problems? Nil. I have replaced cam/crank sensors (intermittent no-start problems), a/c compressors (noisy or failing clutches), ignition switch (wore it out), endless broken cup holders...that's about it. I've heard of a lot of coils that develop cracks but never had one.
Every Subaru I've owned and all Subies owned by the family have had to have parts of the suspension replaced before 100,000 miles and a few other items after 100,000. Ball Joints in 3 cases.

I sold my 97 after disclosing the shake at speed (after spending hours trying to rack it down). I sold it at a discount because of the problem. Her mechanic found the problem(warped axle) after 3 other mechanics (one a dealer) couldn't diagnose it correctly. Her mechanic told me that he replaced 30some each year.

The big positive for Subarus, at least new, is the very reasonable price for a full size vehicle and AWD. That being said I've fallen out of love with them and can't look beyond the warts anymore.
Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #37
Meter Man
Living on a prayer

Oddometer: 7,544
I should also mention that I have a 2002 that has a very noticeable hesitation off idle.

4 mechanics have looked at it, and 2 have replaced sensors with "Known good units" without success. They've all said I could start replacing bigger ticket items or have the fuel injectors replaced/cleaned, but can't gaurantee a result.

Nobody can diagnose it. I just accept it and drive "around" it.
Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:34 PM   #38
FXRocket
Phoneticide Squad

Oddometer: 5,315
Well, this thread may have saved me some hassle. I was considering a used Subaru , but not now.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:41 PM   #39
seuadr
Wee-stromer

Oddometer: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXRocket View Post
Well, this thread may have saved me some hassle. I was considering a used Subaru , but not now.
i've talked to a lot more people that were perfectly happy and didn't have to put all the work outlined in these into them than i have otherwise. i frequent several subaru forums and i haven't seen much mention of .. well, basically any of the issues, minus the head gasket thing. i would do more research before deciding completely against one.

YMMV of course.
seuadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:46 PM   #40
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step

Oddometer: 10,554
I'm looking at 94-2002 Subes right now.

If the hg's, timimg belts and wp's have been done...what else should I look out for?

Looking to spend less than 4K if I can.

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #41
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXRocket View Post
I had a new 2010 Outback that was bought back because it had so many problems and then the 2011 Outback replacement was such a piece of garbage that I dumped it before having it for a full year.

SOA combined with the horrible dealers soured me on ever going subie again.
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:24 PM   #42
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourKraut View Post

SOA combined with the horrible dealers soured me on ever going subie again.
Who was your dealer? I've heard that Van Bortel in Victor NY is great.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #43
falconati
baller

Oddometer: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by seuadr View Post
i've talked to a lot more people that were perfectly happy and didn't have to put all the work outlined in these into them than i have otherwise. i frequent several subaru forums and i haven't seen much mention of .. well, basically any of the issues, minus the head gasket thing. i would do more research before deciding completely against one.

YMMV of course.
Yep. Like any car manufacturer, you have a loud minority of frustrated customers. That said, many of the issues stated by folks here have me worried enough not to consider a Subie anymore. They were on the list (for the turbo'd BRZ), but I don't think I can look at them in good conscience until some of these things clear. I spend a lot of money on motorcycle maintenance, but I expect my cars to run pretty well. Maybe I just need to reset my own personal expectations, but until that happens I think it's going to be a little harder for me to buy a Subaru.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #44
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconati View Post
Yep. Like any car manufacturer, you have a loud minority of frustrated customers. That said, many of the issues stated by folks here have me worried enough not to consider a Subie anymore. They were on the list (for the turbo'd BRZ), but I don't think I can look at them in good conscience until some of these things clear. I spend a lot of money on motorcycle maintenance, but I expect my cars to run pretty well. Maybe I just need to reset my own personal expectations, but until that happens I think it's going to be a little harder for me to buy a Subaru.
There is no turbo BRZ, and according to sources, the upcoming tweaks to make an STI version will not be turbo. They will pull 230 hp out of it by tuning the NA motor.

I just got one, it don't need no stinking turbo

Btw, all cars with turbos, regardless of brand, just have more moving parts to break. They tend to not be as reliable as non turbo motors. Even if the turbos no longer go south, all the extra hardware/software can have you frequenting the dealer a bit more than you wish to.

"The Howtostretch Handbook", a guide to stretching, free download
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:57 PM   #45
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING EYEBALL View Post
I'm looking at 94-2002 Subes right now.

If the hg's, timimg belts and wp's have been done...what else should I look out for?
All of the other parts. If you can find one that's had all of them replaced too, you'll probably have a pretty good car!

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: