Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 08:53 AM   #61
Vbird
In Room 237

Oddometer: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Great. If you really want your advertising to work and have a dog centric customer base, you might consider not reminding said customers of dead and dying pets. It's like Harley having a commercial where they show a horrific motorcycle crash and say "look how well our leather jacket held up. Aside from his head being caved in, the corpse looks perfect!" In other words, the intended message gets lost in a negative tangent.

Bad advertising.
Subaru must be showing a different version of the ad up there. I haven't seen the dead dog one. Do you have the same problem with all the commercials that show old people or grandparents?
Vbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:16 AM   #62
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultane View Post
/I bought a 2012 Outback 3.6 Limited. It's a traction monster, pulls my 18 ft Hewes Craft better than my 05 Avalanche ever could. When not pulling my boat, it is a little hot rod, 0-60 in 7.6(?) seconds, and burns regular gas./
3.0R.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:12 PM   #63
ultane
sqeezin the bag

Oddometer: 1,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
3.0R.

NICE!

Sent from my party line rotary dial iPhone using Tapatalk

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present to hear him,..
Is he still wrong?

ultane screwed with this post 01-28-2013 at 01:37 PM
ultane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:16 PM   #64
ultane
sqeezin the bag

Oddometer: 1,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazaev View Post

Any suggestions?

Anyone else have a similar scenario or could suggest something?
Subaruoutback.org might be a good place to start. Lots of good information on their forum.

Sent from my party line rotary dial iPhone using Tapatalk

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present to hear him,..
Is he still wrong?

ultane screwed with this post 01-28-2013 at 01:37 PM
ultane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #65
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,154
Quote:
One other thing - Subaru can go fuck themselves for repeatedly playing that commercial where they show the dog getting old. Even if I wanted a Subaru I wouldn't buy one because they keep reminding me that my dogs are getting old and will die
Wife and I saw that ad last night. After it was over I turned to her and told her the next trip would be with the dog in a urn.

My lab made a few trips in my WRX until I traded the car because of tranny issues that could not be fixed.

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:54 PM   #66
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meter Man View Post
The part that galls me is related to the premium people think they are worth.

they list a 2003 Subaru Outback with 160,000 miles, say it is has been a great car and in perfect shape. They then list a dozen parts that have been recently replaced. Usually wheel bearings, Tie Rod, Wheels, Windshield, Shocks/struts, timing chain/belt, and headgasket.

I'm not sure what to buy next as I've had bad experiences with Subarus, Chevrolets, Chrysler, and Ford.
Where you live sounds exactly like Boulder. It's nothing but Jeeps and Subarus here (ok I'm exaggerating a little bit, but seriously only a little), and some people think their tired ass OBW is worth more than a fucking BMW!

The Jeep Brand has treated me as well if not better than previous Toyotas I've owned of the same age and over the same amount of miles and time. Shocking since Jeeps are supposed to be pieces of shit.

I really think that Subarus are a good car, the Headgasket thing is kind of a big deal, BUT there's nothing that matches the car in terms of fuel economy combined with snow performance and if Subarus really were THAT bad there wouldn't be so many on the road, and they wouldn't have so many REPEAT customers.

When I was growing up in New England in the 80s and Early 90s there were a few Subarus on the road but not tons, and the people that owned them LOVED them, I mean they were fanatics! But mostly families drove Volvos, VWs, Audis, Cherokees and other Domestic Junkers, and now when I go back to visit my folks Subarus are definitely one of the dominate brands followed closely by Toyota and Honda. I don't think the brand would've caught on like that if they were bad cars.

I'm going back and forth about getting one personally, my commute has doubled and the MPGs of a 2.5 4cyl over a 4.7 V-8 while still maintaining AWD are pretty enticing.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:36 PM   #67
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vbird View Post
Subaru must be showing a different version of the ad up there. I haven't seen the dead dog one. Do you have the same problem with all the commercials that show old people or grandparents?
Not a dead dog - it starts with a puppy, and ends with a gray haired old version of said puppy.

As for grandparents - I barely knew one of them, he died when I was 3. His wife is still alive at 94 and I love her dearly. On my Mom's side, I lost both of them about 6 years ago. Both were in their 90's.

My deceased grandparents were wonderful, kind people who taught their children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren to work hard, be honest, and lead productive, contributing lives. And they lived great lives themselves. The end was rife with Dementia and Alzheimer's. For those reasons I celebrated their lives and didn't shed a tear when they passed.

I've cried like a baby every time I've had to put a dog down. To me that's like losing a child. Many, many dog owners feel the same way. Perhaps an unintended consequence, but Subaru feels compelled to remind us of their short lives every time that stupid commercial plays. Aside from that, no car - no matter how good it is - will ever match the loyalty of a 4 legged companion. Again, a really dumb commercial.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:32 PM   #68
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,055
The previously mentioned WRX for sale, if anyone is interested:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...5#post20575565

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #69
.fisher
pissin' in the wind

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
The previously mentioned WRX for sale, if anyone is interested:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...5#post20575565
If I didn't already have an '05 WRX wagon I'd be all over this. Damn shame.
.fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:53 PM   #70
SteelJM1
Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,429
175k on my 07 impreza, no head gasket problem to speak of. The suspension is shot now and i had to change out a rear wheel bearing (not a huge deal) and a clutch due to the throwout bearing going bad and eating everything (kind of a big deal but still got it done in a weekend). Of course I have little use for AWD around these parts, but seeing as I bought it from my dad on the cheap, i can't complain. Not an awe inspiring car but she starts and runs without complaint every day.
SteelJM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:03 AM   #71
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post
Where you live sounds exactly like Boulder. It's nothing but Jeeps and Subarus here (ok I'm exaggerating a little bit, but seriously only a little), and some people think their tired ass OBW is worth more than a fucking BMW! /
Citation needed.

In terms of market share, Subaru used to have about 1% overall in the US. They had 4% in New England, 6% in Colorado, and 8% in Vermont. In Massachusetts, the Outback is the number one nameplate in 40 of the state's 326 cities and towns.

FWIW the lighter Impreza does not have as many head gasket problems as the much heavier Outback wagon. The old Imprezas had the Subaru 2.2 - a nearly indestructible engine, even when cared for by hippies, ski bums, and skinflints.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:35 AM   #72
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Oddometer: 1,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meter Man View Post
I'm not sure what to buy next as I've had bad experiences with Subarus, Chevrolets, Chrysler, and Ford.
One of my instructors once said this about heavy trucks (that's what the class was about), but I apply it to everything with wheels:

"The only thing you need to know about them is, they are all pieces of shit."

Look, I've read posts on several boards about Subarus that people have had, and claimed an endless list of problems. My personal experience is vastly different. I've also had near perfect service from a 1986 Audi for 12 years and owned a string of Fiats back in the day when nobody knew what they were. OTOH, my '81 Charger 2.2 is legendary for being the biggest POS I ever owned, a distinction it managed in only 30 days of ownership before I dumped it (for a '67 Jeep CJ-5...an equally abysmal turd). My '86 Honda CRX Si, a car worshipped by car geeks, left me indifferent and was a complete PITA to work on the few times it needed fixing. My Ford Ranger was a truck I couldn't be happier about seeing depart my driveway, and I'm a Ford guy.

I've found some people just have bad luck with certain brands, or models, or particular vehicles. Do your homework, but realize that everyone bitches when something breaks but rarely praises when something works without drama for 200,000 miles.

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:44 AM   #73
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 6,999
My nephew had a WRX turbo, but totalled it. Then he bought a STI and it blew a head gasket and parked it. I offered to buy it, but being he's been so busy, he sold it off before he knew I was interested. Like Bueller, I think I'm getting too old to be working on cars.....bikes take up way less room when disassembled.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:19 PM   #74
Flynch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
I'm thinking the resale value of my 95 Legacy wagon with the great 2.2 just went up!
Old 01-27-2013, 05:59 AM   #75
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
Citation needed.

In terms of market share, Subaru used to have about 1% overall in the US. They had 4% in New England, 6% in Colorado, and 8% in Vermont. In Massachusetts, the Outback is the number one nameplate in 40 of the state's 326 cities and towns.

FWIW the lighter Impreza does not have as many head gasket problems as the much heavier Outback wagon. The old Imprezas had the Subaru 2.2 - a nearly indestructible engine, even when cared for by hippies, ski bums, and skinflints.
We've been noticing a switch from subaru to honda crv/toyota rav4s up here in VT. Now that the subaru is just another expensive awd that gets poor gas mileage in a crowded marketplace, loyalists seem to be jumping ship. I blame the vehicle quality but that is because I have an axe to grind with them after my 2010/2011 outbacks.
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: