User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2010, 05:14 AM   #1
Supervaca OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
LC4 Won't start

I just bought a new to me 625 sxc as a "some assembly required" deal and now after assembling it it won't start. The bike is a 2002 sxc with a 2005 625 high flow head motor and Keihin fcr 41 carb.

The motor, electrics and carb have never been mounted together before meeting up on my bike, but they are supposed to have all worked where they came from.

So here is what happens... nothing. not a single detonation no matter how much i run the starter, the engine turns over and sounds as if it's just about to start but no dice, the exhaust pipes get hot but i don't even get a single proper fart.

I'm running out of things to do, short of tearing the valve cover off and checking if a previous owner installed the cams wrong.

Here is a list of what i have tried so far, any ideas are welcome.

1. Checked that there is spark = Good strong spark

2. Pulled and cleaned the carb = all clean, fuel screw all the way in and 1.5 turns out, the main jet is a 168 and the needle is in the 4th out of 7 clip

3. Air filter is clean.

4. The plug comes out wet after trying to start.

5. I have tried a different CDI that i borrowed from a mate, no difference.

6. I have tried spraying some dieselstart into the airfilter box, not a cough.

7. I haven't done a proper compression test yet but with the plug out it will blow your hair back.

8. Checked the electrics and all my ground connections.

9. Disconnected the decompression lever and throttle from the handlebars to be sure they are not being pulled.

10. ??

So there it is, what am i missing? on my old XR600 the automatic decompressor could get stuck and give this problem, but i guess i won't know without a compression test.

Any help you guys can give me will be welcomed with open arms, I'm really looking forward to riding this bike and i feel like i have tried everything, so thanks in advance.

Supervaca
Supervaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:36 AM   #2
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,655
good spark, but when?
timing?

I agree on checking the cam timing too.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:50 AM   #3
makazica
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Check timing, valve lash, use fresh fuel and kick it 20+ times before actually trying to start it (of course, with the ignition key on off). Also before you try to start it up the idling speed.....
makazica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,938
Spark?
Tighten the spark plug cap to the wire.
Try a different plug.

Ask yourself this.
When the piston is at TDC(top dead center) are both valves closed, that is do they have clearance(loose)?
Next the intake valves should open, then the exhaust valves open, then back to TDC.

And,

Is the float level correct,
It is?

Are you positive it is gas on the plug not oil(oil level is correct)?

If all this is correct I think it has to run.
And that's all I can think of.
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:34 PM   #5
Supervaca OP
Adventurer

I do get spark when i have the plug out, I'm not satisfied that it's strong enough som I'll get a new plug tomorrow, the one i got today wouldn't fit.

I also tried grounding the engine directly and that didn't help.

I tried emptying the carb of gas and spraying diesel start directly into the intake side with the airfilter off = not even a fart, to me that means that it's not a fueling problem but rather a spark/compression problem.

It really seems like i have to open her up this weekend and check all the timing marks..

oh well at least i get to know my new bike :)
Old 07-23-2010, 12:16 AM   #6
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,453
actually shorten the plug wire ... new plug and make sure the gas is on
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:56 PM   #7
Supervaca OP
Adventurer

1st fart

She farted :)

went to the workshop today and tried a new spark plug, with the new plug i noticed several things.

1. with the old plug inthe engine and the new one out and grounded... no spark. when i pull the manual decompression i get spark but when the starter has to pull the engine with compression(old plug in) I'dint get any spark, so this is probable what has been happening all along due to me only having one spark plug. i pull it out to check for spark and since it's out and there is no compression i get plenty of spark, but as soon as i put it back, no spark..

So i out the new plug in, emptied the carb, opened the throttle fully and gave her a good squirt of diesel start directly into the carb and...

Got two massive farts :):):) so the valves and timing must be at least somewhat correct..

Battery is on the charger right now so tomorrow I'm hoping for more than just a few farts.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:44 PM   #8
bmwktmbill
Traveler

I would still consider a timing problem. When a machine is way off time that's how they act, just a couple of explosions.
Random.
bill

Bill Shockley
Old 07-26-2010, 03:55 PM   #9
Supervaca OP
Adventurer

No spark

Ok I'm back from hours and hours in the workshop :(

the situation now is very weak/no spark compression is fine and i spoke to the guy who assembled the motor and he assured me that the timing is correct, he's done a lot of these so I have no reason to doubt him.

Back to the spark problem, i get 1 weak spark then no spark when i crank the engine with the starter and a plug in my hand(grounded of course) and one plug in the engine just for compressions sake, when i pull the manual decompression and crank it i get weak orange sparks, in other words at no time do i get a good fat blue spark.

here is what i have tested

Changed the wiring loom to a completely new one = no change
Ran the starter off a different battery = no change
Kick starter = weak orange spark
swapped CDI with an extra i have = no change
swapped rectifier with an extra i have = no change
swapped capacitor = no change
cleaned all connectors = no change
charged the battery fully = no change
grounding the motor directly to the battery = no change
grounding the coil directly to the battery = no change
cut 1/4 inch off the sparkplug cable and screwed it in tight = no change
New plugs, both a dpr8ea and a d8ea = no change

if i put the bike in gear the starter is disabled and i can't crank the bike, and i don't think there are any other cut out circuits and if there are they shoul prevent me from cranking not just kill the spark.

measured the pulser coil = 120 ohm's which is within spec
measured the stator 0.9 ohms on all three to one of the other three and no connection to ground on any of them.

the only thing i havent tried swapping is the ignition coil so maybe thats what's next?
I'll try to tage my CDI to the dealer tomorrow and see if they can test it for me.

anyone have anything else for me to try? I'm really getting quite desperate here.

thanks
Supervaca
Old 07-26-2010, 05:35 PM   #10
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,115
How about the ignition coil?

The manual says:

blue/white - ground 0.425-0.575 ohms
blue/white - ignition wire 10.8 - 16.2 Kohms

Spark plug connector: 3 - 7.5 Kohms

Question: Does your stator connect to the wiring harness with just a 3 pin connector, or is there both a three and a two pin connector?
Luke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:23 PM   #11
Supervaca OP
Adventurer

Hi Luke

My stator has both a 3 pin and a 2 pin connector.

i managed to get the bike started yesterday by towing it, but it was very weak and sounded like it was drowning (probably from the weak spark). I got it back in the work shop tonight and put my scope on it but couldn't see anything new. I measured the all the coils and they all check out.

I still get a very weak spark, so now I'm looking at three possibilities.

1. Both the cdi's I have are busted in the same way, giving me a spark but a weak one (i don't find this very likely)

2. The wiring harness i got for the bike is somehow wrong and I'm lacking a connection somewhere that would give me the powerful spark and the weak spark is a result of this.

3. The ignition coil is faulty and is messing up my spark.

i have a friend coming back from vacation on Monday who has a new coil for me to test out, after that ill be left with 1 and 2 on the list.

any suggestions?
Old 07-31-2010, 12:17 AM   #12
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,583
Bad frame earth?
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:55 AM   #13
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Check the cap that connects between the plug and the ignition wire. I had corrosion in mine where the cap and wire connect. I trimmed about 1/4" off the wire and reattached it. There's a screw in the cap that you thread into the wire.

My spark plug cap had a large chip missing under the rubber seal. I'm purdy sure moisture was getting in there causing the corrosion. The bike would start and idle fine, but when I rolled on the throttle, it would sputter and die.

On my 07 ADV the cap is spec'd at 5k ohms, its also marked as such. When I measured the new one, it was 4.82K, when I replace the old one I'll measure it out to see if it measures the same.

Bear in mind that you may have more than one faulty component on your hands. With that being the case, troubleshooting can be a real pain.

http://www.randakks.com/TechTip83.htm

http://www.dansmc.com/cdiignition.htm

daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 08-05-2010 at 03:34 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:40 PM   #14
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Squeeze the fuse holder connections tight for good contact, especially the main fuse. My main fuse losened up and the bike acted like yours. Squeezed it with a pliers and all was well.

bill

Bill Shockley
Old 08-03-2010, 03:55 PM   #15
Supervaca OP
Adventurer

I found something wrong! finally.

After testing and testing again i had a buddy come up and help me today and we got something.

The black wire coming out of the stator is dead on cranking the engine with the starter and the decomp pulled i get the following measurements

yellow to black/yellow 0.9 ohms on cranking 7 Volts
red/black to black/yellow 0.9 ohms on cranking 7 Volts
red/black to yellow 0.9 ohms on cranking 7 Volts

the manual says 0.9 ohms and 17 volts +-1 so i think there is something wrong here.

secondly

yellow to ground 7 volts
red/black to ground 0 volts the manual specs 12.5 volts
black/yellow to ground 7 volts

so what do you think? I'm getting a new stator tomorrow to test and will let you know how it works out, but could this be the cause of my weak spark?

I did squeeze the main fuse holders so those are good and i put a new ignition coil on today with no difference.

update thursday.